Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
you beat them at home and the refs gave you the game....you barely beat iowa in iowa, we destroyed them at home....the way i look at it those to negate one another...you played michigan state and won with a late field goal...once again ohio state dominated msu....we played texas second week of the year you played notre dame, both at home...osu lost by 3 UM lost by 7, texas is a better ball club than ND

this week will be an interesting and telling one for the big ten...osu and UM both on the road...osu will beat up on a weak minnesota team and michigan will get worked by a RED HOT northwestern team

like it or not right now the best team in the Big Ten is Penn State. They have the best QB and the best young talent. And right now IMHO OSU isn't in the same class as Texas and USC. I think that Texas will beat USC in the Rose Bowl.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northwestern is now in the top 25 in both polls. They should be favored against Michigan next weekend. That's crazy. At this rate they could walk to the Big Ten title. Penn St. shouldn't have won in Evanston, that game still pisses me off.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Nice work owning me.

Hey, Mizzou beat Iowa St. That's all you need to know. Not to mention Mizzou now beat Nebraska. If Mizzou can rattle off a couple more wins they might be ranked. :o While I doubt they will beat Colorado and a win at Kansas St. won't be a gimme they should make a bowl game. Crazy to think Northwestern is ranked...they're winning the Big Ten. ;)

At some point could an undeafted USC actually be #2 in the polls? I was in Austin this weekend and that was the major topic of conversation. Texas crushes Texas Tech and inches closer. But most callers believe USC is #1 until they lose, the voters like that streak. Of course most people that that was wrong and UT should be #1.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
At some point could an undeafted USC actually be #2 in the polls? I was in Austin this weekend and that was the major topic of conversation. Texas crushes Texas Tech and inches closer. But most callers believe USC is #1 until they lose, the voters like that streak. Of course most people that that was wrong and UT should be #1.

Well you are in texas... good reason for them to feel that way.

The point was, with "the streak" going, only a USC loss will drop them from #1. Texas could continue to beat everyone 45-12 and will remain in the #2 spot if USC continues to win, even if those wins are 10-7.

I think the gap is too wide at the moment. They are still 45 votes behind in both the AP and the ESPN poll.

However, there is hope for Longhorn fans as USC the final 3 weeks of the season plays currently ranked teams, two of those being rivalry games. While Texas' toughest game isn't until the final game against A&M.

All I know is nobody can stop either Bush or Vince Young. Both of those guys are ridiculous. Vince can throw the ball much better than last year, I was shocked. He has a gun for an arm, and is finally pretty accurate. He's had arguably his best two days in his career throwing the past 2 weeks.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
Who cares about #1 and #2... if Texas and USC stay undefeated, they will rightly play each other for the National Championship and the Champion will be determined the correct way... on the field.

So you would agree that as long as USC is winning, they are #1? That was the point. They are suppose to be voting based on this season, not on the previous 2. But most people, including the voters, seem to favor take the #1 spot only if they get beat.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 06:04 AM)
So you would agree that as long as USC is winning, they are #1? That was the point. They are suppose to be voting based on this season, not on the previous 2. But most people, including the voters, seem to favor take the #1 spot only if they get beat.

I agree that USC should remain #1 until they lose. Both UT and USC have a stellar player (Young vs. Bush) and have a pretty stellar cast overall on offense. UT hasn't done anything much more impressive than USC and USC has been doing it longer. Roughly the same cast for USC has done very well against top notch NCAA teams (consider OU last year) and thus, it deserves to retain the ranking.

My real point is that a debate between USC and UT for #1 and #2 is pointless since that's going to end up getting answered on the field. If it does not, that means one of those teams has lost and will be unworthy of either a #1 or #2 ranking going into the Championship game and a worthy adversary will be picked amongst VTech, Alabama, and the other host of 1 loss teams, depending on how the remainder of the season plays out exactly.

If UT and USC play each other, I honestly have no idea who would win. I think USC would win 11 out of 20 games against UT in a championship game setting. I might change that to 13/20 given the Mack Brown factor.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
like it or not right now the best team in the Big Ten is Penn State.  They have the best QB and the best young talent.  And right now IMHO OSU isn't in the same class as Texas and USC.  I think that Texas will beat USC in the Rose Bowl.

You guys are taking this too serious!!!

It won't matter when NU puts up 40+ against Michigan this week!!!!!!

GO CATS!!!!!!

Hmmm, the computers like Texas, the humans USC. I didn't think games played last year should count, so them being on top for all those weeks seems wrong, if what is keeping them on tip is the fact they have been on top all those weeks. It becomes a self fulfilling event.

Vince Young......2006 NFL 1 pick? Discuss.

Depends who gets the 1st pick. If the team needs a QB, Vince will be the man. If a team needs a RB, then Reggie Bush will be the man. Either way the top two teams are getting future elite NFL players.

Here's how I see the top 5 picks currently, given its WAY early.

Houston: Vince Young, Carr will be bought out.

San Fransisco: Reggie Bush

Green Bay: D'Brickshaw Ferguson

New Orleans: Mathias Kiwanuka

Tennessee: Matt Leinart

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Depends who gets the 1st pick. If the team needs a QB, Vince will be the man. If a team needs a RB, then Reggie Bush will be the man. Either way the top two teams are getting future elite NFL players.

Here's how I see the top 5 picks currently, given its WAY early.

Houston: Vince Young, Carr will be bought out.

San Fransisco: Reggie Bush

Green Bay: D'Brickshaw Ferguson

New Orleans: Mathias Kiwanuka

Tennessee: Matt Leinart

don't forget Lendale White. IMHO he is the best Running Back in the country.

Yeah Rex it was the annual intra-squad scrimmage. It concluded the Fall workouts for the team. They don't play until February 17, so its a pretty strange game every year.

As for Lendale White, I put him on a notch below, somewhere around mid-1st talent, but a very good power back in his own right.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
you gonna be at the game?  I will.

Absolutely - we have had season tickets for 10 years!

Our group tailgates in the West parking lot along the alley by the hot dog stand - look for three or four canopies together about halfway down.

I'll be wearing NU stuff but have my Sox ALCS Champs hat on if it arrives.

We are right before the Football team parents tailgate.

Jerry