Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
First play of the NU/UM game. NU has as many sacks as Iowa did last week.

All i care about is the final result. Although Michigan didn't play well when they had the ball. Still they shut down one of the best offenses in college football.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
on a side note, Illinois games aren't even fun anymore.

Last year, even though we still lost, we seemed to at least be competitive.

but on the bright side, the band had a blues brothers theme at halftime.

i thought actually that Illinois did a decent job of hanging around against Wisconsin. It could've been a lot worse. It wasn't like Penn State or anything.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
Rex and Brian do you guys agree with me that Michigan needs a QB change.  I know it's late but I really think that Gutierrez is a much better QB than Henne.

Gutierrez hasn't even really played. Don't see how you can say he is better than Henne. Matt will be gone next year and Henne will be there. Let him play. Mike Hart would make a WORLD of difference if he was healthy!

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
Gutierrez hasn't even really played. Don't see how you can say he is better than Henne. Matt will be gone next year and Henne will be there. Let him play. Mike Hart would make a WORLD of difference if he was healthy!

he will be a 5th year senior next year. So he is staying. Plus i have seen him and he is much more mobile. JMO.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
Rex and Brian do you guys agree with me that Michigan needs a QB change.  I know it's late but I really think that Gutierrez is a much better QB than Henne. I was at the game yesterday and some of thoses passes that Henne threw were just awful.  He overthrew Jason Avant 3 times and Breaston twice in the 2nd half.  And this is against the worst defense in College Football.  Obviously right now the defense is the strength of this football team and IMHO is the most underrated defense in College football.  But sooner or later you are gonna have to put up more points on the board.  And Henne isn't able to do that without a guy like Braylon Edwards.  There is only a certain amount of times in which Avant can save Henne's ass after he makes a bad throw.  And Henne is about as mobile as my Grandmother who uses a cane to walk.  Gutz is much more mobile and can make things happen on his own.  Also i agree with both of you guys.  Michigan will win the Big Ten and I can't wait to see those cocky buckeye fans weep on this message board once Ohio State gets beat.

You know, I actally thought about that on Saturday. After pondering it some, I feel it is best to stay with Henne. Henne is the future and the present. There may be upsides to giving Gutierrex a shot, but think of these downsides...

1. Despite Henne's shortcomings, they are currently winning again, against good teams, and despite all of the injuries. When Tim Massaquoi is fully integrated into the offense and Hart is back on the field, Henne will look a whole lot better. It would also help if Breaston could ever become a true deep threat.

2. Gutierrez has never been a starter.

3. It's kind of late in the year to throw a new QB into the mix when a team seems to be getting back on track.

4. Two QB's never seem to work out. See Tennessee. You have to make up your mind and go forward, unless there is an injury.

5. The coaches see the players every day in practice. If they felt Gutierrez was better than Henne, they would give him more reps to see what he could do. I tend to trust the judgement of those that see the players on a daily basis.

Henne's inaccuracy frustrates me at times. But I am not going to blame everything on him. They have had injuries all over the offensive line. His best HB has been hurt half the season. His best TE is just now getting back to being able to be effective. Rather than find a QB that can run, I'd rather get the offensive line back in shape so they can make it that he doesn't have to.

And the first marquee win under Spurrier is in the books. It was ugly as hell, but for once South Carolina is on the winning end of a game deciding field goal. No matter if they are down or not, winning IN Knoxville is always a good thing.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
You know, I actally thought about that on Saturday.  After pondering it some, I feel it is best to stay with Henne.  Henne is the future and the present.  There may be upsides to giving Gutierrex a shot, but think of these downsides...

1. Despite Henne's shortcomings, they are currently winning again, against good teams, and despite all of the injuries.  When Tim Massaquoi is fully integrated into the offense and Hart is back on the field, Henne will look a whole lot better.  It would also help if Breaston could ever become a true deep threat.

2.  Gutierrez has never been a starter.

3.  It's kind of late in the year to throw a new QB into the mix when a team seems to be getting back on track.

4.  Two QB's never seem to work out.  See Tennessee.  You have to make up your mind and go forward, unless there is an injury.

5.  The coaches see the players every day in practice.  If they felt Gutierrez was better than Henne, they would give him more reps to see what he could do.  I tend to trust the judgement of those that see the players on a daily basis.

Henne's inaccuracy frustrates me at times.  But I am not going to blame everything on him.  They have had injuries all over the offensive line.  His best HB has been hurt half the season.  His best TE is just now getting back to being able to be effective.  Rather than find a QB that can run, I'd rather get the offensive line back in shape so they can make it that he doesn't have to.

yeah i guess. Maybe next year they can open up the QB competition. It's always good to have to compete for your job.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
Where did this Iowa State team come from. Crushed Texas A&M at home.

Oh, and

#100 Oklahoma State 28, #2 Texas 9

'

Scary moment for UT fans. How is this stat? UT has outscored Oklahoma State 118-0 in the second half, these past three seasons.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 30, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
All i care about is the final result.  Although Michigan didn't play well when they had the ball.  Still they shut down one of the best offenses in college football.

Here's proof that I call 'em like I see 'em.

The Wolverines have played 3 consecutive halves of defense. It might not sound like much, but that makes them the third best team in the Big Ten. -- Only tOSU and PSU have played more than 3 halves of defense this season. -- If they keep improving, the BIG GAME will be just that. The Winner of the Big Ten will have 2 losses in conference if Michigan continues to step it up.

On another note, WTF happened to the defense in the Big Ten. -- Iowa's got the personnel in their back 7 to be good, but their scheme allows them to be picked apart by good teams. Michigan had an incredibly porous secondary until the last 3 halves. Wisconsin is not nearly as good as they are ranked, solely because they have no defense. Minnesota, LOL. MSU wins only because they can score 50 points a game.

What happened to 3 yards and a cloud of dust?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)

The Wolverines have played 3 consecutive halves of defense. It might not sound like much, but that makes them the third best team in the Big Ten. -- Only tOSU and PSU have played more than 3 halves of defense this season. -- If they keep improving, the BIG GAME will be just that. The Winner of the Big Ten will have 2 losses in conference if Michigan continues to step it up.

On another note, WTF happened to the defense in the Big Ten. -- Iowa's got the personnel in their back 7 to be good, but their scheme allows them to be picked apart by good teams. Michigan had an incredibly porous secondary until the last 3 halves. Wisconsin is not nearly as good as they are ranked, solely because they have no defense. Minnesota, LOL. MSU wins only because they can score 50 points a game.

Yeah MSU's secondary is bad and that's being nice. Minnesota has no defense. Even the Buckeyes defense hasn't been great during the last few games. Right now the two best defenses in the Big Ten are Michigan and Penn State.

If USC plays Texas in the Rose Bowl who do you guys think would win? I think Texas could beat USC. USC is offense and that's pretty much it. However Texas has a great QB and he can make things happen by himself and especially against an average defense. Texas has a better defense than USC and IMHO would be able to shut down the USC offense.

Wisconsin's defense has suffered a tremendous amount of injuries, and lost a significant amount of players.

They are all very young and can not really play well against ball fakes.

That means it probably is going to be a high scoring affair versus Penn State.

I will say that Wisconsin's offense is the best in the Big 10.

SB

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
If USC plays Texas in the Rose Bowl who do you guys think would win?  I think Texas could beat USC.  USC is offense and that's pretty much it.  However Texas has a great QB and he can make things happen by himself and especially against an average defense.  Texas has a better defense than USC and IMHO would be able to shut down the USC offense.

No one can 'shut down' that USC offense.

Texas-USC would be an epic battle. Two schools that have been absolutely dominating the recruiting scene. Most of their 2nd string players would start for 90% of the rest of the schools in the nation.

USC can't shut down UT's great running game, and UT can't shut down USC's balanced attack. I would give USC the edge on the OL, and UT the edge on the DL. I couldn't pick a winner right now. Here's how I would grade them head to head.

QB: UT

RB: USC

WR: USC

OL: USC

DL: UT

LB: UT

Secondary: Even

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)

The interesting thing is that while offense is up and defense seems to be way down in the Big Ten, it is exactly the opposite down here in the SEC.

Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Georgia and possibly Tennessee all have better defenses than the best in the Big Ten. One could argue OSU and PSU could squeeze into that list, but there is no doubt where the strength lies in each conference.

I am looking forward to the 2-3 head-to-head matchups during the Bowl season.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
Texas-USC would be an epic battle. Two schools that have been absolutely dominating the recruiting scene. Most of their 2nd string players would start for 90% of the rest of the schools in the nation.

USC can't shut down UT's great running game, and UT can't shut down USC's balanced attack. I would give USC the edge on the OL, and UT the edge on the DL. I couldn't pick a winner right now. Here's how I would grade them head to head.

QB: UT

RB: USC

WR: USC

OL: USC

DL: UT

LB: UT

Secondary: Even

Personally, I'd have to go at least even at QB. Both are excellent and both have different styles, but I just can't see giving anyone the edge over Leinart.

Edited by Rex Hudler

I give Vince the edge because I truly believe its more the talent and the system at USC that makes Leinart look great. Matt has been throwing passes to Mike Williams, Keary Colbert, Steve Smith, Dominique Bird, Reggie Bush, Dwyane Jarret etc. Vince had Roy Williams very early on and thats about it.

I truly believe John David Booty will have a similar type season having guys like Jarret, Patrick Turner, Whitney Lewis, and possibly Steve Smith to throw to.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Wisconsin's defense has suffered a tremendous amount of injuries, and lost a significant amount of players.

They are all very young and can not really play well against ball fakes.

That means it probably is going to be a high scoring affair versus Penn State.

I will say that Wisconsin's offense is the best in the Big 10.

SB

Can you say NU!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Personally, I'd have to go at least even at QB.  Both are excellent and both have different styles, but I just can't see giving anyone the edge over Leinart.

i would give Vince the edge to. He has more physical tools than Leinhart although Leinhart is a stud and a winner. The big difference is that Leinhart isn't as mobile and I think that they both have the around the same arm strength. But you can't go wrong with either.

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Can you say NU!!!!!!!

Seriously, NU has 500 more yards of total offense even though they've played 8 games to Wisconsin's 9. Wisconsin has more points per game, but a chunk of that can be attributed to better special teams and defense. Plus NU has played better teams. Outside of Ohio everyone NU has played is at least decent. Wisconsin got to roll up the yards and points against Bowling Green and Temple, plus they've already played Indiana and Illinois.

Wisconsin is playing better, but no way they have the better offense. Also, Michigan State's might be better than both of them, although the head-to-head results against NU would suggest otherwise. You could also throw Minnesota and Penn State in the mix, as both average more yards per game than Wisconsin and score similar point totals.

Between Wisconsin and Penn State, I'd take the under. Both rely heavily on the running game, which probably will be slowed for both offenses.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
i would give Vince the edge to.  He has more physical tools than Leinhart although Leinhart is a stud and a winner.  The big difference is that Leinhart isn't as mobile and I think that they both have the around the same arm strength.  But you can't go wrong with either.

Man, IMO Vince throws one ugly ball. Gets there, though.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Man, IMO Vince throws one ugly ball. Gets there, though.

yeah i know what you are saying it is just i don't think Young is the next Michael Vick. In other words i think that Vince can is a true QB. Vick although he is exciting isn't a great QB yet. He is just a running back playing the QB Position.