Official College Football Thread

These are the only teams I would put above ND...

1. USC

2. Texas

3. Miami

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

Thats it for me, and this is coming from someone who will never be known as an ND homer. ND will be 9-2 heading into bowl season and will have one of the best offenses in the nation. Their only two losses were to two very good offensive teams in shootouts by a combined 6 points.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)

1. USC

2. Texas

3. Miami

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

Thats it for me, and this is coming from someone who will never be known as an ND homer. ND will be 9-2 heading into bowl season and will have one of the best offenses in the nation. Their only two losses were to two very good offensive teams in shootouts by a combined 6 points.

Which is why I honestly would hesitate to put Alabama ahead of them. I think the next two weeks will expose Alabama and being a very good team, but not an elite team. As good as Bama's defense is, and it is VERY good, I don't think they could score with ND. I hate to compare scores, but I think they type of game each played against Tennessee tells a lot.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)

1. USC

2. Texas

3. Miami

4. Alabama

5. Ohio State

Also in both of there losses key turnovers and plays cost them the game. No knock on the loss to USC (cause Texas is the only other team in the country that can go out and beat USC, imo) but if they don't turn the ball over in the redzone thats the game. And in the MSU game, to this day I think they were jobbed on a fumble by the Irish fullback where he reached his arms out to extend the ball and ended up coughing it up. The replays I showed made it look like a touchdown to me and the few people I was watching the game with felt the same way.

That said, no excuses and one of there losses was to the best team in the country and the other loss was to a MSU that always plays Notre Dame good and it was in an overtime shootout no less. Aside from that they have pretty much rolled.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
they aren't better than Va Tech or Penn State.

Lol at Penn State. I'm sorry, Penn State is over-rated. They have made there name against a watered down big 10 (and I'm a big 10 backer, but the Big 10 is weaksauce this year).

I still am in shock at how Penn State pulled off the upset against OSU because I think OSU is a superior team.

Yes, Va Tech is a good team, but I just don't think they have the capabilities against ND. Plus after watching them against Miami, I just don't think they are at that caliber. They are good, but not that good, imo. I could be dead wrong and of course on any given Saturday anything can happen.

ND has a very very well balanced offense (and a damn good one at that..I'd say its one of the 5 best in the country) and has an improving defense (not a great one by all means though and it is one thats susceptible to an above average passing team..such as USC and MSU). None of those teams you listed are above avg passing teams, so they play right into ND's strenght when it comes to defense (imo).

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
Which is why I honestly would hesitate to put Alabama ahead of them.  I think the next two weeks will expose Alabama and being a very good team, but not an elite team.  As good as Bama's defense is, and it is VERY good, I don't think they could score with ND.  I hate to compare scores, but I think they type of game each played against Tennessee tells a lot.

The way I see it, a team that can pass the ball can give ND fits, but most of the teams that are leading the way right now are teams that rely on rushing and good defense. Thats great and its working for them, but at the same time Notre Dame plays the run well and there offense is very well balanced and Quinn is playing near flawless football. Plus Weis flat out prepares this team week in and week out and calls outstanding offensive games.

Hell, Tenn is supposed to have this great defense (and while there record is very poor) they still have a talented defensive unit and they got pretty rocked by the Irish (especially early in the game).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
Lol at Penn State.  I'm sorry, Penn State is over-rated.  They have made there name against a watered down big 10 (and I'm a big 10 backer, but the Big 10 is weaksauce this year). 

I still am in shock at how Penn State pulled off the upset against OSU because I think OSU is a superior team. 

Yes, Va Tech is a good team, but I just don't think they have the capabilities against ND.  Plus after watching them against Miami, I just don't think they are at that caliber.  They are good, but not that good, imo.  I could be dead wrong and of course on any given Saturday anything can happen.

ND has a very very well balanced offense (and a damn good one at that..I'd say its one of the 5 best in the country) and has an improving defense (not a great one by all means though and it is one thats susceptible to an above average passing team..such as USC and MSU).  None of those teams you listed are above avg passing teams, so they play right into ND's strenght when it comes to defense (imo).

OSU is a much better team. All this talk about how ND only has two losses, what about Ohio State? They lost by 4 to Texas and played like s*** against PSU in Happy Valley, and PSU still squeaked bye. I think that UT is a BETTER team than USC. Texas is much more complete.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
OSU is a much better team.  All this talk about how ND only has two losses, what about Ohio State?  They lost by 4 to Texas and played like s*** against PSU in Happy Valley, and PSU still squeaked bye.  I think that UT is a BETTER team than USC.  Texas is much more complete.

USC is much like ND in the sense that they too can be taken advantage by a good passing team. That said, USC will always be in the game because they have one of the most talented and balanced offenses in NCAA history. They have two great RB's, a really good WR, and a hell of a QB.

I so hope both teams stay undefeated because I think its going to be the best two teams meeting each other in a national champsionship game in some time. These two squads are both incredibly talented. Texas has a better defense and a great offense, but USC has a solid defense (good at stopping the run, not very good at stopping an above average passing team, but they do have some athletes on the defensive side) and an amazing offense.

I agree OSU is a similar team to ND. ND with the better offense, OSU with the better defense. If Troy Smith is at his finest I think I'd probably give OSU the nod because I think they are a pretty good team. That said I think that game comes down to where they play, the weather, all that good stuff. Both are borderline top 5 teams, imo. They rank ahead of Miami, Alabama and some of the other teams in my book.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
OSU is a much better team.  All this talk about how ND only has two losses, what about Ohio State?  They lost by 4 to Texas and played like s*** against PSU in Happy Valley, and PSU still squeaked bye.  I think that UT is a BETTER team than USC.  Texas is much more complete.

I would put Notre Dame up against Ohio State and i do think Notre Dame is one of the top teams in the country however this talk that they are better than Penn State, Va Tech, Alabama, and Miami needs to stop. Those teams would crush Notre Dame if they played them head-to-head. Add UCLA to that list to.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
The way I see it, a team that can pass the ball can give ND fits, but most of the teams that are leading the way right now are teams that rely on rushing and good defense.  Thats great and its working for them, but at the same time Notre Dame plays the run well and there offense is very well balanced and Quinn is playing near flawless football.  Plus Weis flat out prepares this team week in and week out and calls outstanding offensive games. 

Hell, Tenn is supposed to have this great defense (and while there record is very poor) they still have a talented defensive unit and they got pretty rocked by the Irish (especially early in the game).

As much as I hate Tennessee, I'll give their defense some credit. Notre Dame had a great first drive, but then Tennesse basically shut them down until the 4th quarter. ND's second TD came on a short drive after a Tenn. turnover. ND's third score was on the punt return.

Tennessee's defense did their job, but their offense and special teams made it next to impossible for them to survive. Any defense will wear down if they are constantly fighting turnovers and bad field position.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
As much as I hate Tennessee, I'll give their defense some credit.  Notre Dame had a great first drive, but then Tennesse basically shut them down until the 4th quarter.  ND's second TD came on a short drive after a Tenn. turnover.  ND's third score was on the punt return. 

Tennessee's defense did their job, but their offense and special teams made it next to impossible for them to survive.  Any defense will wear down if they are constantly fighting turnovers and bad field position.

Personally I think Fullmer and there assinine two QB idea is what put this team in such a bad position. This is the most talented squad he's had in a while and I agree, Tenn's defense played well and ND did get quite a few points on non-offensive posessions.

I really haven't seen enough Alabama games to comment too much on them. From what I have seen they do have a good defense and a solid enough offense (nothing potent though).

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
I would put Notre Dame up against Ohio State and i do think Notre Dame is one of the top teams in the country however this talk that they are better than Penn State, Va Tech, Alabama, and Miami needs to stop.  Those teams would crush Notre Dame if they played them head-to-head.  Add UCLA to that list to.

I'll give you Penn State and Miami as teams that might be better than Notre Dame, but Alabama and Virginia Tech have shown me nothing to think they would. Sure they COULD beat them, but to act as if they are that much better is a bit much. And UCLA? Yeah right!

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
I would put Notre Dame up against Ohio State and i do think Notre Dame is one of the top teams in the country however this talk that they are better than Penn State, Va Tech, Alabama, and Miami needs to stop.  Those teams would crush Notre Dame if they played them head-to-head.  Add UCLA to that list to.

I think PSU is alright and equal to ND, however I do not believe that Bama is that good of a team, I would rank ND and OSU above Bama, If they played head to head.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
Personally I think Fullmer and there assinine two QB idea is what put this team in such a bad position.  This is the most talented squad he's had in a while and I agree, Tenn's defense played well and ND did get quite a few points on non-offensive posessions. 

I really haven't seen enough Alabama games to comment too much on them.  From what I have seen they do have a good defense and a solid enough offense (nothing potent though).

Alabama has scored one offensive touchdown in their last three SEC games. They lost their top playmaker in the Florida game, and now their best offensive lineman (which is their weak spot) is done for the year.

If they are to win out, they will have to beat LSU, Auburn and Georgia in consecutive games. I don't see it happening.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
I think PSU is alright and equal to ND, however I do not believe that Bama is that good of a team, I would rank ND and OSU above Bama,  If they played head to head.

sorry PSU is a better team than Ohio State. What do they have to do get some respect?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I'll give you Penn State and Miami as teams that might be better than Notre Dame, but Alabama and Virginia Tech have shown me nothing to think they would.  Sure they COULD beat them, but to act as if they are that much better is a bit much.  And UCLA?  Yeah right!

Lol, I didn't catch UCLA, but they aren't even a top 20 team in my book and I don't think they'll finish the season in the Top 25 (although that may be a little harsh). They are garbage. They haven't played anyone thats that good (I think Cal and Oregon are both over-rated).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
Lol, I didn't catch UCLA, but they aren't even a top 20 team in my book and I don't think they'll finish the season in the Top 25 (although that may be a little harsh).  They are garbage.  They haven't played anyone thats that good (I think Cal and Oregon are both over-rated).

Besides Michigan who has ND beaten that is good?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 03:17 AM)
Besides Michigan who has ND beaten that is good?

Besides Va Tech, who has Miami beaten? Besides Boise St. who has Georgia beaten? Besides Florida who has Alabama beaten? Who has Ohio State beaten? Besides GA Tech who has Va Tech beaten??

The same could be said for half the teams in the Top 10.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Besides Va Tech, who has Miami beaten?  Besides Boise St. who has Georgia beaten? Besides Florida who has Alabama beaten? Who has Ohio State beaten?  Besides GA Tech who has Va Tech beaten??

The same could be said for half the teams in the Top 10.

The difference is all those teams with the exception of OSU have 1 or no losses, you make a good point though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
The difference is all those teams with the exception of OSU have 1 or no losses, you make a good point though.

One or two losses, doesn't matter to me. Who is the best team and who has the best case for making that claim. Just like seeding in the NCAA Basketball Tourney, wins and losses are not the only thing that should be taking into account when ranking teams. At least, not in my opinion.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
One or two losses, doesn't matter to me.  Who is the best team and who has the best case for making that claim.  Just like seeding in the NCAA Basketball Tourney, wins and losses are not the only thing that should be taking into account when ranking teams.  At least, not in my opinion.

I agree, problem is I don't think you can bump another team out of the bcs for ND with 1 loss, I just don't think that's fair to that team. That's what my beef is I guess, is that I think ND is going to get a bcs bid and I don't think they deserve it. I just hate the bcs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 04:35 AM)
I agree, problem is I don't think you can bump another team out of the bcs for ND with 1 loss, I just don't think that's fair to that team.  That's what my beef is I guess, is that I think ND is going to get a bcs bid and I don't think they deserve it.  I just hate the bcs.

Put USC on anyone else's schedule and they would have two losses too. If don't see how you can look at the top 10-12 teams and tell me Notre Dame does not belong in the top 7 or 8, objectively, anyway. Fair isn't how many losses they have, but who the played and who they beat. Notre Dame's resume is just as good as Alabama's right now, and they are undefeated.

Still don't see your point.

Edited by Rex Hudler