S 30 PURDUE

O 07 STANFORD

O 21 UCLA

O 28 @ Navy (Baltimore)

N 04 NORTH CAROLINA

N 11 @ Air Force

N 18 ARMY

N 25 @ Southern Cal

Outside of the service academies (some of which we have history with...I don't get why we added army), they play a major conference team EVERY week. But I'm sure people will say they play nobody when said major conference teams don't live up to their hype (see: this season). So let the b****ing begin... :P

In the grand scheme of things it's pretty impossible for ND to win in the eyes of its haters...because now that they're winning it's because their schedule is "easy". I guess it just comes with the territory, but it's good to be hated again.  :cheers

Holy cripes...thats a hell of a start to the season. In GT. At least they are home against PSU and Michigan but those 1st 3 games are all against what I would call Top 15-20 teams for sure next year, hell they may all be top 10 type teams.

Michigan State gives ND problems and Purdue is usually solid. Than they get to an easier stretch, thats assuming UCLA isn't as good as they are this year (and they will be losing quite a few of there weapons).

So if somehow they can roll through that tough start, they got USC (UNC is the only decent team near the end aside from the Trojans). That USC game COULD and I mean COULD be the type of game that decides who goes to the national championship.

But thats one hell of a schedule to have to get through.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
and, even as an ND hater, I accept that.

What I hate is, if the Irish have an agreement with the Big East about bowl games, whereas the Irish can be picked over other Big East schools, why the hell is there going to be a Big East team getting an automatic BCS bid?

How many years in a row now are we complaining that the Big East's BCS representitive is by far the weakest, and seems to be there over more deserving clubs? Get them the f*** out of the BCS.

5 conferences, and 3 at large.

Totally agree.

I'd like to point out that ND had a top 5 schedule in difficulty according to Sagarin, going into the season.

It just happened that the supposedly quality teams on the schedule had off years.

Tennessee

Michigan

Purdue

Michigan St.

Pittsburgh

All top 25 teams going into the season.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
I'd like to point out that ND had a top 5 schedule in difficulty according to Sagarin, going into the season.

It just happened that the supposedly quality teams on the schedule had off years.

Tennessee

Michigan

Purdue

Michigan St.

Pittsburgh

All top 25 teams going into the season.

And we all know preseason rankings suck

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:00 AM)
ND is a pretty damn good team. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see them 5-3 in the Big Ten. OSU beats em easy. MSU already did. Penn St. is way overrated, ND would clean them out if that's the BCS matchup. I could see one of Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Northwestern beating ND. The thing is when you are playing good teams on a weekly basis you can't have a bad game and get away with it. 5-3 in the Big Ten is pretty good, I don't know how you can say ND is 7-4 when you don't know what games you are cutting out of the schedule left for non-conference.

I think ND is a good team as much as I hate to admit it. I should add that I'm not saying they would go 5-3 in Big Ten play, but it wouldn't surprise me. I would expect 6-2 to be honest, which is still worthy of a top 15 ranking in the country if not higher.

Penn State>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ND.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Auburn

An argument could be made for Auburn. Believe me, down here I am hearing it every day.

Personally, I am kind of hoping Oregon gets in so Auburn and Ohio St can play each other in the Capital One Bowl. I think that would be one of the top 2 or 3 bowl games.

I think it is easy to make argument for teams, but difficult to make arguments against teams that outweight the "for" argument. At some point, other factors will come into play and don't kid yourself if TV ratings, tickets sales, etc. won't or shouldn't come into play. The BCS has always allowed for this since they don't automatically slot teams. They allow the bowls to choose their teams after the 1-2 game in some order that I can never figure out.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Penn St. blows dude. They'll prove it in their BCS game.

I hope its ND they match up against. I don't want an ND OSU game. Although I'll just take ND in any game, but I think they'd beat up on PSU.

I think PSU and Oregon are two of the more over-rated teams in the country.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Penn St. blows dude. They'll prove it in their BCS game.

Your jokes are funny.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
Penn State is 12th in the country in scoring.  10th in the country in scoring defense.

They are a few seconds away from being undefeated.

Hmm.

*cough* http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=970915

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
Team #1

10-1

Only loss to USC

Beat Stanford by 24

How much did Team #1 lose to USC by? Was it 32? Who else did Team #1 beat? An "impressive" Fresno St.?

ND did just as much as OSU and Auburn to earn a BCS berth. They lost by 3 points to the #1 team in the country, one that might be the best dynasty of NCAA football of all time. They lost by 3 points to a MSU team that would have beaten just about anybody the way they played against ND. I'm sure can make similar statements to include OSU and Auburn, but ND has done the same. If you have a problem with Oregon or Auburn not going to a BCS game, don't blame ND for "stealing" a berth. Blame the system which mindlessly protects mediocre conference champions (West Virginia and potentially a 4-loss FSU). Those teams really stole the berth from Oregon and Auburn.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Auburn beat two top 10 teams at the end of the season, Alabama and @ Georgia, how about ND?

Well... it's not like the schedule can change just because you want it to.

Alabama wasn't supposed to be this good and Georgia/Auburn is a conference rivalry.

Notre Dame plays tough games as well, they just don't have a conference schedule.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Who else did Team #2 beat?

Pittsburgh, Michigan, Washington, Purdue, BYU, Tennessee, Navy, Syracuse, and Stanford.

compare this to

Houston, Montana (Div I-AA), Fresno, Stanford, ASU, Washington, Arizona, Cal, WSU, Oregon St.

I don't think Oregon has done enough to establish they should get a berth over ND. In my view, I don't think Auburn or OSU has done anything to establish they should be included in place of ND. I think ND and OSU are the two teams that should receive the berths.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Pittsburgh, Michigan, Washington, Purdue, BYU, Tennessee, Navy, Syracuse, and Stanford.

The teams I bolded are jokes. Michigan doesn't get bolded for 1 reason, the game was in Michigan.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
The teams I bolded are jokes.  Michigan doesn't get bolded for 1 reason, the game was in Michigan.

Look at Oregon's win list and you'll bold them all. I think you can do the same for Ohio State and Auburn with your standards.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Look at Oregon's win list and you'll bold them all. I think you can do the same for Ohio State and Auburn with your standards.

ND and Oregon's schedules are pretty damn close, the difference is Oregon has 1 loss. OSU had a tougher schedule and Auburn had a much tougher schedule, this really isn't a tough decision in my mind but ND gets the bid cause of who they are.

At the very heart of this argument is simply something you can't really argue about. Confused? Let me explain:

How in the hell can anyone b**** about ND's schedule coming into the season? It's not their fault that Lloyd, Fulmer and Wannstedt crapped the bed this year. You guys spout off about preseason rankings being B.S., but that's irrelevant to the matter since schedules are set years in advance. In fact, all of this is irrelevant because of this fact alone, but i'll humor everyone for a bit.

You can only agrue about schedules in hindsight. So what's the best thing you can do? Schedule historically solid teams year in and year out, while keeping long-standing traditional rivialries (navy I'm looking in your general direction). ND does this, yet get ripped on when those teams don't live up to their hype. Oregon plays a tougher schedule? Please. I mean this wouldn't even be a discussion before the season started.

The amount of blind hatred for ND is mind-boggling, but like I said it's good to be hated again....it shows you matter again. :cheers

QUOTE(Wedge @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)

erm.. shall we look at Auburns schedule? They beat 4 teams with winning records, compared to 3 wins over winning teams by ND, and two top 10 teams, compared to 1, overranked top 10 team win by ND.

The three teams with a winning record that ND beat? Michigan, BYU and Navy.

The four teams with a winning record Auburn beat? Western Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama.