Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
Not a chance

You honestly dont think its time for him to go? I mean come on, he is old school. Obviously it isnt working there anymore for him. I really think Michigan needs to find a new coach, Mr. Carr's time has come and gone. Maybe they can hire Cooper....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
First off that TE for Michigan was a moron because he should have given the ball to Breaston.

The officiating in that game was absolutely terrible.  Quite possibly the worst officiating in any sporting event ever in which there was not outright cheating.  Twice Michigan has to burn timeouts because the replay officials are inept.  A terrible missed pass interference call on the goal line.  And then apparently Nebraska is allowed to have 85 guys play defense.  How there wasn't a flag on that last play is beyond me.  Everyone of those officials deserves to lose their jobs over that game.

Michigan also had players on the field (both teams did). I think this game did show that they need to change the replay system and allow coaches to be able to challenge. It was crap that Michigan had to lose two timeouts just to get two calls over-turned (however, that was a very good job by Lloyd Carr in calling those TO's).

Aside from that I wasn't watching the game too closley, so I can't comment on the officiating (other than the way they handled replays).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
Michigan also had players on the field (both teams did).  I think this game did show that they need to change the replay system and allow coaches to be able to challenge. It was crap that Michigan had to lose two timeouts just to get two calls over-turned (however, that was a very good job by Lloyd Carr in calling those TO's). 

Aside from that I wasn't watching the game too closley, so I can't comment on the officiating (other than the way they handled replays).

Michigan did have guys on the field, but they were on the field after the entire Nebraska team stormed the field. And if anything those are offsetting penalties. That was easily the worst officiated game I have ever seen in any sport. Those officials consistently f***ed up the entire night and Michigan got screwed horribly.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
So where are all the Michigan fans now...?

As far as the officiating goes...yeah it was terrible. But i don't see how a penalty could have been called on the last play, as both teams had guys on the field.

I still don't understand why that guy didn't lateral to Breaston...he could have made one cut to the middle of the field and scored easily had he had the ball.

I'm a Michigan fan. We've sucked all year, that's why this game did not surprise me. This was a team we should have beaten easily and we blew it. I didn't see the whole game but all accoutns say the officiating sucked. Doesn't matter, Michigan sucked this year. Lloyd is probably another bad year away from early retirement. And hopefully Henne removes his head from his ass this spring.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 05:44 AM)
Michigan did have guys on the field, but they were on the field after the entire Nebraska team stormed the field.  And if anything those are offsetting penalties.  That was easily the worst officiated game I have ever seen in any sport.  Those officials consistently f***ed up the entire night and Michigan got screwed horribly.

The officiating was indeed bad. But Michigan has no one to blame but themselves for the loss. They did not play well at all.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
The officiating was indeed bad.  But Michigan has no one to blame but themselves for the loss.  They did not play well at all.

Yup. And that was par for the course this year. You could tell from the NIU game on that this team just didn't have it.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
Yup.  And that was par for the course this year.  You could tell from the NIU game on that this team just didn't have it.

No ability/willingness to put a team away. There was always something that kept them from finishing teams off.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Would anyone else like a scenario that has a set number of bowl games where bids are determined by an NCAA committee?

I'd like a senario where a playoff decides a true national champion, rather than the 2 best teams from the weak BCS conferences that year playing for the crown every year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Would anyone else like a scenario that has a set number of bowl games where bids are determined by an NCAA committee?

I know I would, I get absolutely tired of seeing the same bowls every year if your team makes it to a bowl, but not an elite bowl. Then again, I should just be happy when UNC makes a bowl game lately I suppose.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
I'd like a senario where a playoff decides a true national champion, rather than the 2 best teams from the weak BCS conferences that year playing for the crown every year.

I guess I'm just a bit of a purist as I love bowl season. I'd be a lot happier with 15-20 bowl games, tops, with possibly the the top 4-8 teams grouped in two-four bowls that feed into a national championship game.

If it was 8, they could still maintain the BCS bowl rotation, and the final four/national championship shouldn't need to be associated with any bowl.

I've thought about everyone playing a 10 game regular season schedule, 5-5 can make you bowl eligable. The top 4 teams in the nation are in a playoff scenario, 1 seed vs. 4, 2-3 etc, 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 playing their first game around the same time other teams are playing regular bowl games, then the two winners play in early January for the championship.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
I've thought about everyone playing a 10 game regular season schedule, 5-5 can make you bowl eligable. The top 4 teams in the nation are in a playoff scenario, 1 seed vs. 4, 2-3 etc, 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 playing their first game around the same time other teams are playing regular bowl games, then the two winners play in early January for the championship.

I understand the need for a playoff, but the bowl system is something I don't want to see scrapped. There's very seldom going to be more than 4 teams with a legitimate claim for the nat'l championship. There could be the plus 1 game, and lo and behold, it could be called "The National Championship Game© ".

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
I guess I'm just a bit of a purist as I love bowl season. I'd be a lot happier with 15-20 bowl games, tops, with possibly the the top 4-8 teams grouped in two-four bowls that feed into a national championship game.

If it was 8, they could still maintain the BCS bowl rotation, and the final four/national championship shouldn't need to be associated with any bowl.

I agree, you can have a playoff and a bowl season IMO. An 8 team playoff works perfectly, not too many teams, but not too few (like the plus one). Have the 8 team playoff, which would consist of 7 games. The 7 games can be the "highest quality" bowl games (ie Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, Outback, Citrus....or something like that) and for all the other teams besides those 8, just have the regular bowl system with all the other bowls.

Something like that could work IMO and would be great for the sport.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
You honestly dont think its time for him to go?  I mean come on, he is old school.  Obviously it isnt working there anymore for him.  I really think Michigan needs to find a new coach,  Mr. Carr's time has come and gone.  Maybe they can hire Cooper....

he won a big ten championship 2 years ago. I blame the players for this season (would've helped if they had a healthy Mike Hart but they still f***ed up) and the refs for this game. I thought Lloyd coached a great game and I thought Michigan played well. That Henne call was awful. The defense looked good at times and the offense seemed to be clicking. Henne looked great and showed his speed for the first time. Plus another 1,000 yard receiver this season. These refs were Sun Belt refs. SUN BELT! GMAFB!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Did Michigan get screwed? Yes....but lest we forget that Penn State was screwed out of a perfect season by the clock operator at the Big House.  This is just a case of things being evened out by those b****es known as the sports gods.

um It should of been more like 4 extra seconds put back on the clock. Penn State didn't get screwed. Trust me I have the DVD of the game and I watched it today. Penn State DID NOT GET SCREWED!

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
um It should of been more like 4 extra seconds put back on the clock.  Penn State didn't get screwed.  Trust me I have the DVD of the game and I watched it today.  Penn State DID NOT GET SCREWED!

I watched the game from a neutral corner, and anybody with 2 eyes could see Penn State was screwed out of a win by the officials. Sorry you don't have common sense, as displayed in more than a few threads about more than a few subjects.

I'm very bummed out about Michigan losing. I knew Nebraska would cover the spread just because Michigan can't run away with games and/or play down to other teams level, (not saying Nebraska is bad.) I couldn't believe the officials were from the Sunbelt Conference (maybe it's Sun Belt, I don't know for sure) but the officiating was bad on both sides. That tight end should've givin it off to Breston, at the end. I guess you could call it a 3 on 2 fast break and he kept it himself. We all can only wonder what would've happened if Michigan would've scored but they didn't. Hats off to Nebraska for coming back when Michigan could have easily closed the door.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
I've been hearing that one of the Cornhuskers who helped make the tackle might not have been in the play when it started. There's nothing that can happen anymore but it was #21 supposively.

These are Sun Belt refs. You would think the Alamo Bowl would have Major Conference refs just like almost every other bowl game has but no. You know no disrespect to Arkansas State or UL Lafayette but those teams are just not as good as Nebraska and Michigan. These refs have never called a game with that much talent on the field and the game will be harder to officiate for them because of that.

Michigan lost. You can talk about officiating all you want, but really...it was NEBRASKA.

If a team like Michigan, with all the talent they have, can't get in a strong position to win over a down Nebraska team then they're in trouble regardless of bad refs.

I don't know what calls everyone is complaining about (I didn't really watch the whole game; I heard it was pretty darn bad though), but the last play of the game was a s***show. No way you can penalize just Nebraska for illegal participation, since Michigan players were on the field as well.

However, regardless of the referees, Michigan should have played better; plain and simple.

Btw, I REALLY hope they don't fire Lloyd...it'll make ND/Michigan that much easier for Charlie in the coming years. :P

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE(Fotop @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
Michigan lost. You can talk about officiating all you want, but really...it was NEBRASKA.

If a team like Michigan, with all the talent they have, can't get in a strong position to win over a down Nebraska team then they're in trouble regardless of bad refs.

I don't know what calls everyone is complaining about (I didn't really watch the whole game; I heard it was pretty darn bad though), but the last play of the game was a s***show. No way you can penalize just Nebraska for illegal participation, since Michigan players were on the field as well.

However, regardless of the referees, Michigan should have played better; plain and simple.

Btw, I REALLY hope they don't fire Lloyd...it'll make ND/Michigan that much easier for Charlie in the coming years. :P

no i am not talking about the last play. This was the whole game. These were Sun Belt Refs. Michigan played a good game IMHO. Henne played well, Avant got to 1,000 yards, Mike Hart showed what he can do when healthy, the pass rush defense was scary good, and Lloyd coached a very good game. This was officiated like a junior high game. And this is the first time I have ever blamed the refs for a loss like this but it just makes me want to hurl.