Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
The defense of the schedule by you ND homers is mind boggling.  Just look at it from a neutral perspective please??  Notre Dame plays a good schedule, but it simply doesn't have the depth and difficulty of the schedule a team like Georgia or even Iowa has to deal with.

I take some offense to this statement, mainly because the likes of myself and Wedge have been pretty level headed about Notre Dame on this board. We throw comprable schedules at you, and your response is "well you're a homer, you're wrong." Is it really THAT hard to believe that a fan of a team can objectively assess an argument involving said team? I mean I can put up with a lot of the ND hating on this board...but to dismiss what we have to say because of perceived "homerism" is either a cop out or just being plain naive.

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Here's my question, and I mean it sincerely.  I completely agree that a team can be playing better at one point in the season and then totally go in the tank, thus making what was once a not a bad loss look awful 2 months later.  But what no one has had an answer for is why they think MSU was one of those teams.  When you look at the facts, they had not played anyone near respectable.  They had dominated 2 pretty awful teams.  If they had throttled at least 1 decent team, I could see the argument.  But how is this any different than, say, a college basketball team beating the crap out of Chicago State and NIU and claiming they were a good team b/c they looked good against two horrid opponents?

That's the argument I have made and I have yet to see an answer that satisfies it.  The only thing I keep getting is, "Well, they looked good doing it."  My response is, "I sure as hell hope they did b/c those teams sucked." 

Here are the scores from their games this year:

Beat Kent State (1-10) 49-14

Beat Hawaii (5-7) 42-14

Beat ND (9-2) 44-41

Lost to Michigan (7-4) 34-31

Lost to tOSU (9-2) 35-24

Lost to NU (7-4) 49-14

Beat IU (4-7) 46-15

Lost to Purdue (5-6) 28-21

Lost to Minnesota (7-4) 41-18

Lost to PSU (10-1) 31-22

Like I said, if they had beaten a decent team or two before or after ND, I could see the argument that they were simply playing better and something happened to send them on a horrific streak the last part of the season.  But I just don't see that argument.

Watch a freakin game once rather than look at numbers on paper. It doesn't take anyone with much of a football IQ to see that Michigan State was very dangerous early one. They played well against Notre Dame, battled Michigan and stayed with Ohio State for the most part. All you have to do is actually watch the games to know that MSU was a MUCH different team late in the season.

Like I said before, this ain't rocket science.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
hahahaha

Hopefully that'll be the last we'll hear of Laura Quinn...what a pointless storyline.

Use fuzzy pictures all you want. She's freakin hot!

And I guarantee you will see more of here. She is in school for sports broadcasting, so you know someone is going to give her a shot. We'll see how she does.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
Watch a freakin game once rather than look at numbers on paper.  It doesn't take anyone with much of a football IQ to see that Michigan State was very dangerous early one.  They played well against Notre Dame, battled Michigan and stayed with Ohio State for the most part.  All you have to do is actually watch the games to know that MSU was a MUCH different team late in the season.

Like I said before, this ain't rocket science.

I did watch the games and I was never too impressed with MSU. This is why I generally don't talk college sports on message boards...people get way too emotional about it and resort to telling people they are idiots when, in fact, they just cannot accept that there are many different opinions out there.

As usual, no one can actually back-up the fact that MSU was good except by saying, "Watch them play some s***ty teams or see how they hung in a game with tOSU for a half." Well, I got news for ya, IU hung in with tOSU through 2 1/2 quarters and that don't mean s***.

It's unfortunate that this cannot be a mature debate without resorting to implying people are stupid b/c they don't agree with you.

Edited by ilsox7

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
I did watch the games and I was never too impressed with MSU.  This is why I generally don't talk college sports on message boards...people get way too emotional about it and resort to telling people they are idiots when, in fact, they just cannot accept that there are many different opinions out there.

As usual, no one can actually back-up the fact that MSU was good except by saying, "Watch them play some s***ty teams or see how they hung in a game with tOSU for a half."  Well, I got news for ya, IU hung in with tOSU through 2 1/2 quarters and that don't mean s***.

It's unfortunate that this cannot be a mature debate without resorting to implying people are stupid b/c they don't agree with you.

neither was I. I said it was the usual MSU hot streak and they would cool down once they played somebody.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
neither was I.  I said it was the usual MSU hot streak and they would cool down once they played somebody.

It just baffles me that any ND supporter I have encountered and talked about this subject with goes off and attacks me for my opinion about MSU. All of this when I have consistently said that ND, while not one of the top 6 or 7 teams in the country, is certainly one of the best 10 or 15 teams in the country. And that is an amazing turn around by Charlie and they should be thrilled their program is obviously headed in the right direction. Yet they refuse to even look at the facts when analyzing MSU.

Edited by ilsox7

QUOTE(ilsox7 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
It just baffles me that any ND supported I have encountered and talked about this subject with goes off and attacks me for my opinion about MSU.  All of this when I have consistently said that ND, while not one of the top 6 or 7 teams in the country, is certainly one of the best 10 or 15 teams in the country.  And that is an amazing turn around by Charlie and they should be thrilled their program is obviously headed in the right direction.  Yet they refuse to even look at the facts when analyzing MSU.

It was pretty much if they didn't score 40 points to win, they couldn't win. Look at the Michigan game. When Sparty finally faced a good defense (which Michigan did have) they couldn't score enough points and Michigan State's defense really couldn't do all that much.

Wow, who'd of thought FSU would give the Nittany Lions a battle. I've thought Penn State (while good) was over-rated, but I figured they'd beat FSU (a down FSU team without its leading tackler).

Great finish though and it will be interesting to see who pulls this one out. Regardless, considering PSU didn't win (if they do) in an impressive fashion, OSU will be the 3rd ranked team in the country.