Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:52 AM)
I've been to The Big House and The Horseshoe, and it's so much louder in Columbus it's not even close.  The Michigan fans don't even pay attention until it's the 2nd half and the game is close.

Haha I know, I just had to get on WSJ's case.

Its funny, everyone who knocked Leinart for bieng classless didn't make one comment about how him and Bush went and congratulated the Texas players and one Vince Young on the way they played. Or how Pete Carrol went over and congratulated Mack Brown after the game.

I hate USC, but they are a classy team.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
Its funny, everyone who knocked Leinart for bieng classless didn't make one comment about how him and Bush went and congratulated the Texas players and one Vince Young on the way they played.  Or how Pete Carrol went over and congratulated Mack Brown after the game. 

I hate USC, but they are a classy team.

Or how when he was being interviewed a 2nd time he said that USC is the better team. Leinart is an ass from what I've seen. Carrol is a class act and I can't really speak on Bush.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:43 AM)
I think Vince may have moved to the top of many draft borads yesterdau ahead of Bush and Leinart.  Bush still looked great against a great team, but not amazing.  While, Young seemed on another level than anyone against a great team.

I think Reggie Bush won the Heisman in that Fresno State game, which happened the same week Vince Young had a bad week. But I also think that if the Heisman voting happened today, Vince Young would get himself a nice trophy - he saved his best game ofr when it counted the most.

And yes, Vince Young even said last night that he's comign back.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Carroll and Bush are class.....Leinart is your typical spoiled ass rich OC kid.

Ummm...his family isn't rich. Carson Palmer came from a very wealthy area in Orange County. I dont' know much about Leinart's, but he didn't grow up in the best part of Orange County. He did go to a good prep school in Mater Dei but I'd assume he got some benefits and probably a scholarship based on his athletical ability.

You guys just ignore the fact he went in and congratulated the Texas players. So what, he thinks his team is better, there are probably a lot of people that still feel that way. Things have happened where the better team lost. I think if these two teams matched up 10 times I think it would be pretty much split down the middle with Texas and USC each winning 5.

Texas won the game that counted.

Have you guys ever played sports and been in a game where your team lost when you know you should have won? I know I have plenty of times and it pisses you off because you know in your heart there is no excuse for you losing. At other times I'v been on the losing end of games where I think to myself we could never beat this team. I've also been on the winning end of games where we totally were overmatched talent wise, but got up early and were able to take advantage of unusual miscues.

Point is, Leinart is saying what I'm sure plenty of people have felt. My guess is Miami players felt the same way when they lost to OSU.

It's not really the fact that he believes it, as every athlete should believe their team is better. But it just doesn't need to be said to the media. No reason to disrespect the opposing team with comments like that. Both teams made mistakes, Texas fumbled the ball 4-5 times costing themselves alot of field position. Both teams had the best talent in college football, neither team could stop one another. By stating "I still think we are the better team", it insinuates that the win for Texas was a fluke, instead of pointing out how they beat "the best football team in history", by not with luck, but with their own amount of talent and grit. The same grit that USC showed the past two years. Leinart has come a long way in his comments since their win over Michigan 2 years ago.

"It's been an unbelievable year," Leinart said. "I would never had expected this to happen."

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
It's not really the fact that he believes it, as every athlete should believe their team is better. But it just doesn't need to be said to the media. No reason to disrespect the opposing team with comments like that. Both teams made mistakes, Texas fumbled the ball 4-5 times costing themselves alot of field position. Both teams had the best talent in college football, neither team could stop one another. By stating "I still think we are the better team", it insinuates that the win for Texas was a fluke, instead of pointing out how they beat "the best football team in history", by not with luck, but with their own amount of talent and grit. The same grit that USC showed the past two years. Leinart has come a long way in his comments since their win over Michigan 2 years ago.

"It's been an unbelievable year," Leinart said. "I would never had expected this to happen."

Considering he went to the UT locker and locker room and congratulated them, I think he showed them plenty of respect. I don't think his comment was disrespectful in the least.

Thats a nice thing to do, but its a bit like a friend saying nice things to your face and then talking crap about you behind it. Everyone knew USC was favored in the game, and probably should have won. So I feel that the comment was redundant and unnecessary.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
Thats a nice thing to do, but its a bit like a friend saying nice things to your face and then talking crap about you behind it. Everyone knew USC was favored in the game, and probably should have won. So I feel that the comment was redundant and unnecessary.

He has said how Texas played a great game. At the same time he's telling his guys that he thinks they are a good team. Thats his job to talk up his team and not one guy on his team would tell you that Leinart is a smug arrogant bastard. The guy was their leader.

It wasn't even just that comment. But he was asked if he thought Texas won it or USC lost it...

"I definitely think we lost it." He then went on to talk about "USC's missed opportunities" and how Texas couldn't stop them, etc.

I'm not sure if he noticed, but neither team could stop each other and both teams had missed opportunities.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Whatever.  I don't have any affiliation whatsoever with with Leinart or USC.  I don't think he did anything out of line at all.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm with ya Yas and I freaking hate USC. I may be in the LA basin but I hate all that has to do with LA. I hate that freaking place. Only one team I'll semi root for in LA and thats the Bruins (only in football too). Yet I slammed the Bruins all year cause i thought they were over-rated, lol.

SI's top ten for next year by Stewart Mandel (very good college football reporter for SI)

An early look at '06

Texas will be the favorite... if Vince Young comes back

Posted: Thursday January 5, 2006 11:18AM; Updated: Thursday January 5, 2006 1:39PM

Amidst the postgame celebration on the field following Texas' Rose Bowl victory late Wednesday, Austin resident Lance Armstrong -- a guy who knows a little something about following up a championship -- summed up the state of Texas football: "The good news is, we're national champions," said Armstrong. "The bad news is, I don't think Vince [Young] is coming back -- and I don't blame him."

As anyone who watched Young's epic performance against USC can attest, the 'Horns would not be national champions today if not for their awe-inspiring junior quarterback. So naturally, any talk of a potential repeat in 2006 begins and ends with Young as well.

For months, the Houston native swore he'd be back for his senior season just like all of Mack Brown's previous junior stars (NathanVasher, Derrick Johnson, Roy Williams, Cedric Benson). His stance started to soften in the week leading up to the Rose Bowl, however, and was clearly on the fence during his postgame news conference on Wednesday night.

"It's all about sitting down with my family and making the right decision," he said. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft is Jan. 15.

The 'Horns lose a few key seniors -- most notably All-Americas Jonathan Scott, Rodrique Wright and Michael Huff -- but return a solid nucleus of tailbacks Selvin Young, Jammal Charles and Ramonce Taylor, key receivers Limas Sweed, Billy Pittman and Quan Cosby, three starting offensive linemen and most of the defense. Young is the key to it all, however. Without him, Texas may be forced to hand the keys to the offense to a first-year player -- either redshirt freshman Colt McCoy or incoming frosh Jevan Snead. Not exactly the recipe for a repeat.

But it's also not like the wheels will come tumbling off if Young bolts. The fact is, Mack Brown's program has been among the elite nationally for several years now, but needed Wednesday's victory to gain that last strand of credibility. The 'Horns have been recruiting juggernauts for years -- their current class is ranked at or near the top by most services -- and they only figure to get stronger from here. Brown isn't going anywhere, and while his staff is full of highly respected assistants, most of them are not the type who will be jumping at the first big offer.

Without Young, Texas will be hard-pressed to win another title next season. But don't count on the 'Horns going another 35 years without one, either.

Early 2006 Top 10

1. Texas -- If Vince comes back.

2. Notre Dame -- This could be the season Irish fans have been waiting for since 1993. Seventeen starters return, most notably QB Brady Quinn, RB Darius Walker and WR Jeff Samardizja, and WR Rhema McKnight returns from injury to replace Maurice Stovall. The defense will obviously need to mature.

3. USC -- Next season should be much like 2003, when the Trojans had to replace Carson Palmer, Troy Polamalu and all its significant running backs. They'll be fine by halfway through the year, but like Cal did that season, someone should be able to knock them off early.

4. LSU -- We've long known how much talent is on hand in Baton Rouge, and you saw in the Peach Bowl what the Tigers are capable of when it all clicks. The offense will be loaded, especially with RB Alley Broussard returning, but the defense has numerous holes to fill.

5. Ohio State -- Following his epic Fiesta Bowl performance, QB Troy Smith should enter the season a Heisman candidate, and the offense will again be potent. Replacing A.J. Hawk and two other starting linebackers, as well as WR Santonio Holmes, will be a challenge.

6. West Virginia -- The Mountaineers made a statement for next year with their impressive Sugar Bowl win over Georgia. It seems hard to believe, but the eye-popping stars of that game, quarterback Pat White and tailback Steve Slaton, were freshmen this season.

7. Florida -- Urban Meyer's offenses exploded in his second seasons at Bowling Green and Utah. It might not be as dramatic for the Gators -- especially with so many holes on the O-line -- but QB Chris Leak looked a lot more comfortable against Iowa in the Champs Sports Bowl.

8. Oklahoma -- The rest of the Big 12 took their best shots at the young Sooners this season; it won't be as easy next year. A healthy Adrian Peterson in the backfield, a more mature Rhett Bomar at quarterback and a more experienced offensive line should help OU return to prominence.

9. Michigan -- The Wolverines were ranked way too high going into this season; next year, they'll likely be rated too low. QB Chad Henne, RB MikeHart and WRs Steve Breaston and Mario Manningham all return for a squad that wasn't nearly as bad as its 7-5 record.

10. Cal -- The Bears' offense exploded its last two games after coach Jeff Tedford finally pulled the plug on erratic QB Joe Ayoob. With Steve Levy or Nathan Longshore at quarterback complementing RBs Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett, Cal's attack could be pretty scary in 2006.

Keep an eye on: Auburn, Florida State, Nebraska, Clemson and Iowa.

Click Here

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Typical Overrating of Michigan.  They ended up unranked this year, and somehow are going to be in the top 10?? Joke.

let's look at fairly. Yes they stunk however they didn't have Mike Hart for most of the season at 70% health (whether you like him or not is an impact player and one of the best RB's in College Football). If they had Mike Hart they might of won the Wisconsin game and won the Notre Dame game. The O-Line was banged up with a ton of injuries. If they remain healthy and the defense continues to progress they will be a top ten team next year. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Typical Overrating of Michigan.  They ended up unranked this year, and somehow are going to be in the top 10?? Joke.

wasn't it 2001 when the Buckeyes finished 7-5 and were ranked 12th the next year. You probably didn't say they were overrated at the time did you. That team went on to win the National Championship. So don't discount Michigan. Plus Ohio State is going to lose a ton of defensive talent next year and that will hurt them.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Unless the Notre Dame defense magically finds a bunch of starter calibur players with speed, they aren't going to be the #2 team in the nation next year.

I think West Virginia might be. Pat White has to improve as a passer but if he does that look out.