6th August Game Thread - Sox vs. Mariners

DBAHO

Mark Buerhle takes on Jamie Moyer tonight in the battle of the lefties. The Sox need to start getting their groove back at home, and this is the perfect game to do it. Moyer is 3-3 with a 6.79 ERA away from Safeco this year, so it's a great oppurtunity for the Sox to light him up, especially considering they hit lefties better. :headbang :gosox3:

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice line drive swings tonight. If the pitch is away hit it up the middle and oppo. If its center in, then pull it.

Take a few pitches. When they get in hitters counts, pick a zone and attack it. Dont swing just because the count is in your favor.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
Nice line drive swings tonight.  If the pitch is away hit it up the middle and oppo.  If its center in, then pull it. 

Take a few pitches.  When they get in hitters counts, pick a zone and attack it.  Dont swing just because the count is in your favor.

Thanks for the advice......I'll make note of it and to be sure I do that tonight. Where would I be without you coach.

Pods, LF ... Iguchi, 2B ... Rowand, CF ... Konerko, 1B ... AJ, C ... Crede, DH ... Perez, RF ... Blum, 3B ... Uribe, SS ... Buehrle, LHP

no dye vs a lefty, but timo is playing? thats striange, timo must do well vs. moyer. crede at DH i would rather have him at 3B and Blum dh, but we'll see how this lineup works

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Pods, LF ... Iguchi, 2B ... Rowand, CF ... Konerko, 1B ... AJ, C ... Crede, DH ... Perez, RF ... Blum, 3B ... Uribe, SS ... Buehrle, LHP

no dye vs a lefty, but timo is playing? thats striange, timo must do well vs. moyer.  crede at DH i would rather have him at 3B and Blum dh, but we'll see how this lineup works

What the hell? That lineup just sucks. The 6-7-8-9 is simply terrible. Oh well, at least Ozzie can get his boyfriend some playing time.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
again a s***ty lineup when buehrle pitches.  i bet he gets no run sopport either

We need to call up Brian Anderson if Everett's injury lingers. Especially considering that Borchard is better from the left, than the right, side...we need another righty on the bench. It's not like Timo hits lefties very well.

Quick question for the more optimistic posters on this site: Are you happy with this offensive personnel we have right now? It seems like every team we play, they have a better lineup than we do now. Thankfully, our pitching is better than almost every other team. However, it still means that we actually have to "outslug" other teams. A very strange contrast to last year, indeed.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
Haha and the negativity starts before the game.  Wait until the game starts to start b****ing.  Please?!

:gosox1:

:gosox3:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:

We're not allowed to be unhappy about a lineup that is rather mediocre, and doesn't make a lot of sense? However, I will follow your request.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
Quick question for the more optimistic posters on this site:  Are you happy with this offensive personnel we have right now?  It seems like every team we play, they have a better lineup than we do now.  Thankfully, our pitching is better than almost every other team.  However, it still means that we actually have to "outslug" other teams.  A very strange contrast to last year, indeed.

i'm worried about the lineup, yes....that's why i desperately wanted an impact bat at the deadline. The situation never came up so we couldn't, oh well.

While on paper, the lineup is pretty bleak, we haven't won all these games w/ a drastically different lineup. Seems like there's always someone that steps up each and every game. This team doesn't have a true MVP in the lineup, these 70 wins are a group effort and will continue to be.

Go Get em Mark...you want to be an ace...we need you to be one today.

We need a stopper...and I know of no one better than you to do it.

How about a 2 hour game? Let's annoy the people who are there for fireworks by making them have to sit around for a couple hours waiting for darkness.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
i'm worried about the lineup, yes....that's why i desperately wanted an impact bat at the deadline.  The situation never came up so we couldn't, oh well.

While on paper, the lineup is pretty bleak, we haven't won all these games w/ a drastically different lineup.  Seems like there's always someone that steps up each and every game.  This team doesn't have a true MVP in the lineup, these 70 wins are a group effort and will continue to be.

I'm not as worried about this lineup as others because I don't care if we don't outmatch people at several positions.

There are 2 keys to this lineup:

1. The ability of any spot in the lineup to beat a guy. Even when we play our backups, the guys can still win games who are in there. Ok, maybe not Timo, but everyone else in the lineup has the ability to win a game, either with a timely base hit, a runner moved over with a bunt, or even a HR.

We really don't have anyone amazing like a Ramirez in the lineup who is going to win 1/2 our games for us, but we also don't really have any weak links, so if the opposing pitcher lets up at any point, the guy he's facing still can beat him. And if 1 guy has a hot night, that's all it takes to beat a guy.

2. The ability to put pressure on a defense. This is the productive outs, moving runners along, random unexpected stole bases, bunts, and so on. That's one of the reasons we've been so good this year; when we get guys on base, we move them over, and then as shown in #1, when guys come up with RISP, there's no one who is such an automatic out that they can't knock in the runner.