Reason we are flat

BigSqwert

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
What this team needs, more than anything else, is a doubles/triples hitter. We are dead last in the majors in doubles and need guys that are an extra base threat.

Great point Hibbard.. I mentioned that a while back. We are dead last in doubles .. extra base hits. We just have to live with the Lineup we have... Im one to see that Young kid come up, he has a great slugging percentage... which means allot of doubles.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I think were flat because our team is playing small ball in a long ball park seriosly we only struggle at home. It also could be that there not used to playing in the huge crowds we are getting now a days. Last Pods needs to heat up right away 1 time on base each game in 2 out situations in not cutting it.
We're not playing smallball. Smallball would have gotten a leadoff double home in the game the other day.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
The whole team has not hit good all year. If it wasnt for Gouch and Pods we would be in a deep hole, the other guys need to pick it up. Pods and Gouch cant do it all year by themselves.

Yeah... Only Gooch and Pods can hit...

Lets just ignore the fact that Rowand and Dye have hit really well lately and Dye especially...

...and you guys think i'm the reactionary.... :headshake

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
We've been playing small ball in a HR park all year.  Seems like we've been struggling at home only recently.  I just think it would have been a nice boost to get a big bat at the deadline.

The park wasn't playing like a homer park earlier in the year, when it wasn't as warm out. Now, you have players hitting the ball out of the park in every direction.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Back to the original post...anyone else think there was a bit of a letdown by the team when we didn't pick up a big name at the trade deadline?

Yes, I actually do think this team was expecting to get a shot in the arm.....and it never showed up (not blaming KW). Don't forget that Thomas isn't an option for the rest of the season, so our power off the bench is non-existent.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I think were flat because our team is playing small ball in a long ball park seriosly we only struggle at home. It also could be that there not used to playing in the huge crowds we are getting now a days. Last Pods needs to heat up right away 1 time on base each game in 2 out situations in not cutting it.

Wrong. 11 of our last 13 runs have been via the long ball and what has that gotten us? Losses. The team has been hot all year, and now is going through a funk, which every team does at least once a year. Be glad it is now and not in October.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
Wrong. 11 of our last 13 runs have been via the long ball and what has that gotten us? Losses.  The team has been hot all year, and now is going through a funk, which every team does at least once a year.  Be glad it is now and not in October.

The Chicago Cubs have gotten more htan 1/2 of their runs this year on the home run. Where are they? .500 or so all year. Why? Because if you can't get runs without the home run, you're going to end up not being lucky in about 1/2 of your games.

We haven't been manufacturing runs for a few games now. We haven't worked at it at all. This is something Ozzie needs to wake people up on. A team meeting might be useful just to get it in people's heads. When your pitching staff gives up 4 runs or less, you should be able to win ballgames.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
We haven't been manufacturing runs for a few games now.  We haven't worked at it at all.  This is something Ozzie needs to wake people up on.  A team meeting might be useful just to get it in people's heads.  When your pitching staff gives up 4 runs or less, you should be able to win ballgames.

You make a good point about not manufacturing runs. Something that is very noticeable is that Pods is trying to force the action when he reaches. The other team knows he's going, and he's having a hard time successfully stealing the base. Why not take some of the pressure off, and go for a hit-and-run with Pods in motion? He has enough speed that even if the hitter misses, he could be safe. However, we'd still be able to benefit from Podsednik's speed. This team has a very comfortable division lead......they should be playing loose and having fun on the field. Instead of playing not to lose......they should expect to win every game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
You make a good point about not manufacturing runs.  Something that is very noticeable is that Pods is trying to force the action when he reaches.  The other team knows he's going, and he's having a hard time successfully stealing the base.  Why not take some of the pressure off, and go for a hit-and-run with Pods in motion?  He has enough speed that even if the hitter misses, he could be safe.  However, we'd still be able to benefit from Podsednik's speed.  This team has a very comfortable division lead......they should be playing loose and having fun on the field.  Instead of playing not to lose......they should expect to win every game.

I love plays like the hit & run & wish ozzie would use it more. I love bunts for the same reason. Why? Because they put pressure on the defense to make plays.

When you hit & run, you start guys on the infield moving to cover bases, and if the guy puts the bat on the ball, the infielder will have to stop what he's doing, recover, and then make the play. If the ball is not hit directly at a guy, very few defenders will be able to recover, and a lot of times, even if they do, they're in such a hurry that they make a stupid play, throw the ball away, and you end up with guys at 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and home.

The same thing with a bunt...the first time I really noticed this is when we picked up Robbie Alomar in 03...when we started bunting, we'd end up getting the guy bunting on base like 1/2 the time, because the defense wouldn't expect it and even if they did, it's still a hard play to make. If its a good bunt, the 3rd or 1st baseman has to pick it up on the run and find a way to throw a strike to 1b. That's hard as hell to do.

Putting pressure on defenses was one of the things we've been great at this season. When you put pressure on a defense, sometimes they'll throw out the runner, or sometimes you won't get lucky. But more often than not, something will work in your favor. It really is a winning strategy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Who did the A's and Astros pick up at the deadline to make them hot then?

The A's got back B. Crosby from the DL, and have been incredible since that time. As for the Astros, it was just a matter of them getting a healthy Berkman and Pettitte back. I see what you're getting at, and I think I agree. A team doesn't necessarily have to add an ingredient in order to play well. However, I don't feel like we've done enough to make up for the offensive loss that happened when Thomas went out for the year. Everett was a great back-up for Thomas....but we don't have a back-up for Everett AT ALL!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
The A's got back B. Crosby from the DL, and have been incredible since that time.  As for the Astros, it was just a matter of them getting a healthy Berkman and Pettitte back.  I see what you're getting at, and I think I agree.  A team doesn't necessarily have to add an ingredient in order to play well.  However, I don't feel like we've done enough to make up for the offensive loss that happened when Thomas went out for the year.  Everett was a great back-up for Thomas....but we don't have a back-up for Everett AT ALL!

How many DH type, middle of the order hitters is one team supposed to have? I know we didn't do anything to make up for Frank, but it sounds like we sure as hell tried hard, with Kenny all but saying that he tried hard to get Griffey.