Freddy

BaMoFo

I was at Friday nights game and Freddy never seemed comfortable on the mound. He did a lot of walking around the mound, shaking off pitches etc. I read somewhere he was pitching against a good friend... maybe that had something to do with it, or maybe it was that nice wind blowing out?

Edited by BaMoFo

He was on Seattle from '99 to the beginning of '04. The starting pitcher for Seattle yesterday, Joel Piniero, is a good friend of his from thier days of being in the same rotation for 1.5 years. However I thought Freddy had good stuff yesterday and looked pretty good on the mound. I'm not worried about him AT ALL.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
I thought Freddy had good stuff last night.  We need to start scoring some f***ing runs.

I saw that stat last night....that in 4 or 5 games 11 of the 13 runs the sox have had have all been homeruns. I see the trend that when they start to play longball they don't score for s***...just maybe a few shots per game. But when they play smart ball.....they tend to hit to all fields, and take pitches.

Garcia had as good of a fastball last night as he's had all season. His inability to get the leadoff hitter out in the last few innings really hurt him. Garcia is consistently giving up 4 runs in his outings lately. Ozzie should be a little more proactive in how he handles Garcia, and maybe pull him BEFORE he gets in trouble late.

QUOTE(BaMoFo @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
I was at Friday nights game and Freddy never seemed comfortable on the mound.  He did a lot of walking around the mound, shaking off pitches etc.  I read somewhere he was pitching against a good friend... maybe that had something to do with it, or maybe it was that nice wind blowing out?

Welcome to Soxtalk!!! :gosox3:

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Garcia had as good of a fastball last night as he's had all season.  His inability to get the leadoff hitter out in the last few innings really hurt him.  Garcia is consistently giving up 4 runs in his outings lately.  Ozzie should be a little more proactive in how he handles Garcia, and maybe pull him BEFORE he gets in trouble late.

Right now our team ERA is 3.66. That's still the best in the AL, and .23 runs behind the best ERA in the NL (who doesn't have to face the DH).

In other words...since we play 9 innings or more in most games, it's almost impossible for us to expect our pitchers to do any better than giving up 4 runs a game. For every time we give up 3 runs, we're giving up 4 runs twice as often (yeah, that's simplifying it).

When our starting pitchers give up 4 runs, there is no reason at all for us to not win a ballgame. You simply cannot expect any more from starting pitchers than giving up 4 runs a game, and there's no excuse for an offense to not be able to get more than 4.

Garcia giving up 4 is not a bad outing for him. Garcia giving up 5+ in 6-7 innings is a bad outing. You should be able to win ballgames giving up 4 runs more often than not...otherwise you'll have to get your ERA down below 2 to have a winning record.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
Garcia giving up 4 is not a bad outing for him.  Garcia giving up 5+ in 6-7 innings is a bad outing.  You should be able to win ballgames giving up 4 runs more often than not...otherwise you'll have to get your ERA down below 2 to have a winning record.

Garcia, since the ASB, has a 4.89 ERA and a 1.66 WHIP. Before the ASB, his ERA was 3.53 with a great WHIP of 1.18.