Question: Frank's Status

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
I have no idea either. I mean, I believe w eonly have 39 on there, so I would guess that they wouldn't move him unless they needed more room.

We had 39 when we took Honel off the 40-man. Since then we've dropped Shingo from the 40-man and picked up Wing and Blum. It's full right now.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
What about Shingo though? That would have created a spot. I'll go the WhiteSox.com and count.

Blum would've replaced Meaux, too, because if I recall, he was on the 40.

I just counted earlier today.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
FRank better be put on the 60-day DL and Anderson brought up before the end of the month, or I'm going to be really f***ing pissed.

Maybe Anderson will be promoted after the Knight's season, but I doubt prior to then.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
I think they will make a decision before the Sep 1st midnight deadline.

If they can't get a bat to fill Frank's spot they will certainly bring someone up before that deadline to make him eligible for the post-season roster.

We keep hearing Griffey Jr. to the White Sox as a possibility.

Who else (veteran hitter specifically, maybe another pitcher) has at a chance to sneak through waivers ?

Recently, I've heard Dmitri Young's name - I wouldn't be upset with him either, but has any other names come up (Please don't start throwing out names like Adam Dunn)...I guess I'm looking for the Larry Walker of this season.

Raul Ibanez would be a nice fit. Lefty bat whose put up good numbers for the Mariners this year. Don't know if this is the last year on his contract or not, but I do recall he had a decent sized contract and prior to this year they were planning on moving him if he could.

I was at Mariners spring training for a day and people were talking about what a great guy Ibanez is (charities and community involvement). It was funny cause IIRC he was awful for a few years for them (after they gave him a good size deal) but the fans didn't hate him, which leads me to believe he's a quality clubhouse guy.

Would he pass through waivers, that I don't know. I know someone else has suggested Ibanez as well (Fisk72??)

IMO, Ibanez would get blocked. 818 OPS, 2006 is the last yr of his contract & he costs about $1.5M to pick up. In 2006 he'll cost about $6M. But with an 818 OPS a blocking team could easily trade him in the off-season to dump the contract.

Dmitri Young might slip thru. 828 OPS, 2006 is the last yr of his contract & he costs about $3M to pick up. In 2006 he'll cost about $10M. At a cost of $10M it will be harder to pull an off-season trade off. So a blocking team might be stuck with a $13M cost. There are two club-option years at a cost of $8M each if you're looking at him long term.

If we use SDP's block move of Randy Myers as the most a team is willing to pay for a player they don't intend to use then $15M is the figure. That would include what it will cost the team this year & the remainder of the contract.