Iguchi is the new emperor on South Side

greasywheels121

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-tad07.html

Iguchi is the new emperor on South Side

BY JOHN JACKSON Staff Reporter

Because Tadahito Iguchi was a power hitter in Japan, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was asked recently what he saw during spring training to convince him that his rookie second baseman could be effective in a role in which he frequently is asked to move runners over and get on base.

The simple answer, as Guillen quickly explained, is nothing.

''The reason I batted him second is that I was making [out] my lineup in the offseason and said, 'I have to put Iguchi at the top of the order to give him more at-bats,''' Guillen said. ''That was it. I hit him second so he could get three at-bats in spring-training [games].

''He was doing well and stayed there.''

The move -- and the lack of a subsequent move -- says a lot about Guillen's if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it approach, but it also speaks volumes about Iguchi's baseball IQ and willingness to do whatever is in the best interests of the team.

Guillen explained what he was looking for in a No. 2 hitter, and Iguchi simply did as he was asked. It's one of the reasons Guillen tabbed Iguchi as his choice when he was asked to name the Sox' most valuable player.

''This kid has given up at least 20 at-bats to move the guy over,'' Guillen said. ''This kid's had a lot of good at-bats to bring the guy in, he plays good defense, runs the bases well and turns the double play.

''He came to this country and didn't know what to expect. He had to learn every day about this game. Pitchers, different ballclubs, how we play here. This kid goes through so many things every day, I just have to tip my hat to him.''

Aside from possibly Guillen, no one has benefitted more from Iguchi's presence than leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik, who leads the majors with 52 steals.

''The guy can handle the bat,'' Podsednik said. ''He takes pitches in certain situations to allow me to get to second base, he gets me over in situations, he gets me in. He's the prototypical two-hole hitter. He can pretty much do whatever he has to with the bat.

''He not only has the ability to do it, but he's willing to do it.''

Through Friday, Iguchi was batting .290 with nine home runs, 43 RBI and 57 runs scored. By anyone's standards, those are solid numbers. But for Sox general manager Ken Williams, who signed Iguchi without seeing him play in person, numbers alone can't measure his impact.

''The most pleasant thing about him has been not only the production, but the unselfishness and willingness to sacrifice parts of his game -- he has power -- for the team's sake,'' Williams said. ''I think that's a common theme that we have here. We really don't look at averages or runs scored or any of those things. We look at, 'Is this guy trying do his job for the team's sake?'''

For Iguchi, what's best for the team always has been the key element. Through an interpreter, he was asked what the toughest adjustment in moving from Japan to the majors has been.

''I've had to change my style and adapt to going from a third-place hitter to a second-place hitter and hit according to the needs of the team,'' he said. ''It was a little difficult because it has been more different than anything I've done throughout my baseball career to this point.''

And it's not as though Iguchi, 30, is a youngster being asked to change his game. He played eight seasons with the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks, batting .271 with 149 homers (a career-high 30 in 2001), 507 RBI and 159 stolen bases.

But after establishing himself as one of the best power hitters in Japan, Iguchi said he thought it was time to make the great leap to the United States.

''I wanted to play in the major leagues,'' he said. ''I wanted to test myself against the best players in the world and see how I could compete at the highest level.''

Although it hasn't gone quite as smoothly as his transition on the field, Iguchi said he and his family -- wife Asumi and daughter Rio -- are adapting to their new home. The Iguchis have settled in Arlington Heights, where there is a small Japanese community, and his every move on the field is recorded and sent back to his homeland by a group of Japanese reporters who attend every Sox game.

''The language has been a little difficult,'' he said. ''But other than that, it's been a pretty good adjustment. We are enjoying ourselves.''

Guillen said he thinks Sox fans will enjoy Iguchi even more as he feels more at home.

''I think he's going to be like [Hideki] Matsui,'' Guillen said, referring to the New York Yankees slugger. ''As soon as he gets more comfortable, he's going to hit more home runs. He won't have to go to someone to [find out] about the pitchers. He will already know. I think he should get better.''

Iguchi provided a glimpse of that power by smacking a tiebreaking homer leading off the bottom of the eighth inning to give the Sox a 5-4 victory Thursday against the Toronto Blue Jays. There was no one to move over in that situation, so he did what came naturally.

''I was thinking base hit or extra-base hit,'' he said. ''The final result was a home run. That was a good thing.

''I'm still not satisfied with my performance. I think I can raise my batting average.''

Iguchi, who signed a two-year contract, already is a bargain for the Sox, and a power surge will make him an absolute steal. He is making $2.3 million this season and will earn $2.4 million next season. The team also holds an option for 2007 at $3.25 million, with a $250,000 buyout.

Guillen's comments about Iguchi's power increasing were relayed to Williams, who simply shrugged.

''If it does, it does,'' Williams said. ''It doesn't matter to me. All we care about is him going out and playing the game in the fashion he has. If there's anything more, great. All we really care about is him continuing to do consistently what he's done thus far.''

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
If Kenny isn't the Executive of the Year, I don't know who would be.

I was going to sarcastically say Billy Beane, but then I thought about how he traded away Mulder and Hudson and is still in contention for the AL West title and/or the Wild Card. Beane is a logical contender, along with KW, for EOY.