Tough 15 game stretch starting Mon.

beck72

The Sox next big "test" starts on Monday as they head to the Bronx. Over the course of the next few weeks, the Sox play the Yanks and Twins for 6 games each and the Red Sox for 3 in Boston.

My guess is the sox will step it up a bit, esp. as 9 games are on the road where they seem to be more focused. We'll see if the sox play with more intensity and fire, as Ozzie talked with them. Being more patient at the plate would certainly help. By playing solid defense, getting good starting pitching, and by making pitchers throw a lot of pitches, the sox should be more than alright and fully capable of winning each series.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
The Sox next big "test" starts on Monday as they head to the Bronx. Over the course of the next few weeks, the Sox play the Yanks and Twins for 6 games each and the Red Sox for 3 in Boston.

My guess is the sox will step it up a bit, esp. as 9 games are on the road where they seem to be more focused. We'll see if the sox play with more intensity and fire, as Ozzie talked with them. Being more patient at the plate would certainly help. By playing solid defense, getting good starting pitching, and by making pitchers throw a lot of pitches, the sox should be more than alright and fully capable of winning each series.

And by then Griffey should have joined the team, we will be fine.

;)

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
well, considering how we're doing against the Blue Jays and Mariners, I'm a tad worried....

I'd be more worried if the sox tanked these next few weeks against the better teams. If they lose and play tough, so be it. But if they look bad in losing, then it'd cause for concern. I think they'll be fine

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
well, considering how we're doing against the Blue Jays and Mariners, I'm a tad worried....

I've been so looking forward to this stretch of games all year. This is a playoff preview, hopefully we step it up.

If not, there's always chemistry to get us by.

;)

Back in May, I looked at this stretch and thought it was probably going to be the deciding stretch for us this season.

Right now, we've got a 13 game lead over the Indians, and the Twins are 14.5 back. Suddenly, I have more trouble thinking that this stretch will make or break the season. Even if we're a few games under .500 on it, we'll still probably end up with the best record in baseball...that's how far ahead we are.

This stretch is now useful just as a test of us against good teams to see how good we really are. It's not going to decide the division though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
This stretch is now useful just as a test of us against good teams to see how good we really are.  It's not going to decide the division though.

very true. It could certainly be a confidence booster. Or a wakeup call to play like they did earlier in the yr.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)

Yeah we're hurt but this is the time where we need to step up and show everyone what we're made of. Its time to make a statement gentlemen.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
I'm actually kind of excited about this stretch, I think we'll play better against the tougher competition but that's jmo.

I agree. It's kind of hard to "get up" for the Mariners and blue Jays of the baseball world. The sox will have no excuses if they play poorly against the better teams of the AL

It seems the Sox have just partook in what I call the "Garcia Effect."

I think our club--much like just about any other club in baseball--doesn't seem to get up for the weaker clubs as they do the stronger. I'm not condeming them for this, but I think it's something they have been guilty of as of late.

I'm confident they'll play the way we know they can over these next 15 games.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
It seems the Sox have just partook in what I call the "Garcia Effect."

I think our club--much like just about any other club in baseball--doesn't seem to get up for the weaker clubs as they do the stronger.  I'm not condeming them for this, but I think it's something they have been guilty of as of late.

I'm confident they'll play the way we know they can over these next 15 games.

With the weather the way its been [damn hot and humid], with a huge division lead, I'm surprised the sox haven't done worse during this stretch. They have stayed away from the big losing streaks, though, which no other team in the AL has done.

But I agree, it's time to step up. And the sox will no excuses if they lose concentration during this stretch

Ehh, I'm not worried. The Twins have been on a downward trend, and the Yanks pitching sucks. The 3 games at Boston makes me nervous, but other than that, just 12 other games against pretty good teams. We are 72-38 for a reason, and will show why.

Plus, 9 of 15 are on the road, where we play better anyways, and that 13 game lead is still sitting there for us. We will probably play .500 ball during this stretch, similar to what we have done the last few weeks.

As much as Ozzie doesn't want to allow it, this team appears to kind of be crusing towards playing just about .500 ball the rest of the year, 98 to 102 wins, a 10 game plus final margin in the Central, and getting itself healthy and setup for the playoffs.

The Yanks and BoSox have weak pitching, and we are still playing very well on the road. Meanwhile, the Twins have no offense. We have stolen their game and are beating them at it.

Our only real rival in the AL is the A's. We have to hope their young pitching tires in October.