T-Visa

JUGGERNAUT

This week in the CST they are reporting on the sex-slave trade as it impacts Chicago.

One of the Congressional reactions to this has been the creation of the T-Visa. Essentially if you qualify as a victim of the sex-slave trade you can earn a T-Visa which provides you the right to work equal to an H1B & the strong possibility of permanent residency.

On the surface it looks like a great idea. America cares. But in a society driven by capitalism it's just created an even bigger whole for companies to exploit. What constitutes being a victim of a sex-slave trade? Witness testimony? It seems to me it's going to be hard to build a case why a person shouldn't be granted a T-Visa when they apply for one.

But that's the nature of American politics today. Knee-jerk reactions determine policy. It seems to me a more intelligent policy would be to link the war against the the sex-slave trade with the war against terrorism. We've already confirmed that the terrorists use the sin trades to acquire wealth to fund their activities. So this would be no different.

Eventually the ACLU will have to give way to profiling. The terrorist activities aren't going to stop & the rest of the world doesn't care for the ACLU agenda as some American's do. When that happens it's going to be regular practice to thoroughly investigate any known establishment that deals with the "sin" trades.

When it comes to America I'm a homer. I believe in treating foreigners as the least trustworthy people in America. If we are to link the sin trades with the war on terror than let it be the foreigner who suffers the most. Let the government's time, effort, & money be directed to the Mulovisch's of the world before the Mahoney's.

Having read lady Z's story I thought about her captors. I thought about how 10 yrs from now they wouldn't have been able to show up at an airport in America w/out being investigated by the government. That's a much better approach to the problem than a T-Visa gift pak.

Juggs, work some numbers for me.

How many terrorists are in the world?

What is the world population?

What is the probablity that any single person is a terrorists?

Are you including "home grown" terrorists like McVeigh, Nichols, John Walker Lindh?

Now how much should we change our policies to protect ourselves from this threat? How many people should suffer compared to how many people may be a terrorist?

Juggs, work some numbers for me.

How many terrorists are in the world?

What is the world population?

What is the probablity that any single person is a terrorists?

Are you including "home grown" terrorists like McVeigh, Nichols, John Walker Lindh?

Now how much should we change our policies to protect ourselves from this threat? How many people should suffer compared to how many people may be a terrorist?

The scary thing is you know I could come up with numbers :D

But your point is obvious so it would be better for me to reply along that parameters.

With respect to the numbers as you know it's been estimated that 9/11 cost the American economy as much as 1/2 a trillion in GDP. That cost continues to accumulate because the airline industry & associated vacation/resort industry has yet to return to it's pre 9/11 levels. So even though the probability of any one being a terrorist is so small that it would be considered insignificant or negligible the consequences of prevention can be very significant.

To the best of my knowledge "home grown" terrorists have always been strong proponents of freedom. Their acts have been based on their perception that government has curtailed too much of their freedom. Al-Queda is the opposite. They oppose freedom. They are driven by the belief their way of life is the best way & all should be forced to follow it.

Realistically speaking, the government will always have limited resources to combat terrorism. Therefore the priority focus should be profiling those who best identify with the principle philosophy of Al-Queda. Home grown terrorism is a lower priority.

Economically speaking, the Mc Veigh's bombing of the FBI bldg didn't do squat to the economy. Nor did the bombing of the USS Cole, or terrorist actions of the past. So it makes no sense to devote major resources to their prevention.

Which terrorist group is more likely to cost the US economy another 1/2 trillion in GDP over the next 10 yrs? A disciple of Nichols or a disciple of OBL? How you answer that question should determine your focus on prevention.

It is interesting you would mention tourism. International tourism has been a huge industry for the US. With our increasing anti-foreign attitudes, how will that effect the economy?

I think our state department should be able to tell the difference between a family from Ireland visiting Disneyworld & a group of young male adults with Saudi passports.