8th August Game Thread - Sox vs. Yankees

DBAHO

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Teams have blown double digit leads before in August.  There's absolutely no guarantees in sports.  We're not that dominant of a team that we can just play like crap every game, and play .500 baseball.  Our schedule is very difficult, and even though it's unlikely....it's possible that we could play .333 ball for an extended period.

2 teams have lost 9 run leads or greater after the All-star break. It was the Giants, and somebody else. I can't remember.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
And winning a game on August 8th would give you that? I hope our players aren't mental midgets like that.

No, but going through the motions for the last two months of the season is a recipe for disaster. A perfect example is our last playoff team.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Going into the playoffs confident you can win because you beat them before isn't really a bad thing.

It's certainly not a bad thing, but I seriously doubt the players worry about what they do in the postseason that much. If they did, none of this would matter because we would get crushed by the A's.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
I just sick of Ozzie saying we dont play exciting bb and the he doesnt ever have Dye bunt the guys over. He puts the team in a situation to play homerun ball! Make them BUNT! MOVE GUYS OVER!

...and then when Dye fails to get a bunt down you b**** at Ozzie for having him bunt.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
No, but going through the motions for the last two months of the season is a recipe for disaster.  A perfect example is our last playoff team.

Oh yah. If we play like crap for the next two months it certainly doesn't raise the playoff hopes. Wouldn't be a good thing to go into the postseason losing a bunch.

But that doesn't make this a big game for El Duque because of that. I guarentee he isn't thinking about anything like that. He turns into a different monster in the postseason. Does it suck that he thinks liek that during the regular season? Sure. But that's the way it is.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
I just sick of Ozzie saying we dont play exciting bb and the he doesnt ever have Dye bunt the guys over. He puts the team in a situation to play homerun ball! Make them BUNT! MOVE GUYS OVER!

Dye kills Mussina. No way he should be bunting this early.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)

Dye can't bunt. He's tried before, and he can't. I'm happy he let Dye swing away. You can't try to play for one run when you have someone like Duque facing a great lineup like the Yankees.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Oh yah. If we play like crap for the next two months it certainly doesn't raise the playoff hopes. Wouldn't be a good thing to go into the postseason losing a bunch.

But that doesn't make this a big game for El Duque because of that. I guarentee he isn't thinking about anything like that. He turns into a different monster in the postseason. Does it suck that he thinks liek that during the regular season? Sure. But that's the way it is.

You should check his Postseason ERA from last year. Mr. October is a thing of previous Octobers. The man is pushing the old age home.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)

Ozzie Guillen Jr. better be careful if Duque turns into a monster....because the only thing he'll go after is people on the bench. I'll be shocked if he starts a game in the playoffs.