8th August Game Thread - Sox vs. Yankees

DBAHO

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:36 PM)
I think he can be. He pitches well when he wants to pitch well. In big games. This is not a big game.

Oh my! This isn't a big game? Going back to face the team you've been a big player on for your entire career? If this isn't a big game for Duque, he's half the competitor I thought he was.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
I'd personally rather not see him pitch in the postseason.  I don't see why we can't just have the big 3 go.

They are who I am assuming we will use. Unless we are in a position where we HAVE to use El Duque.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
They are who I am assuming we will use. Unless we are in a position where we HAVE to use El Duque.

Exactly. And you better believe Ozzie would rather start Duque than Contreras. My opinion is that I'll worry about postseason rotation when we get there. Still have to win enough games to make the playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Oh my!  This isn't a big game?  Going back to face the team you've been a big player on for your entire career?  If this isn't a big game for Duque, he's half the competitor I thought he was.

This is a big game for people who think we have something to prove, which we don't, or for people worried we won't win the division, which we will.

I'm sure El Duque wants to win, but this is not a big game in any stretch of the imagination.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
That was a strike if you ask me, JD you gotta swing at that.

Bingo. Don't even try it, JD.

Problem is, and I've noticed this firsthand, when coaches/players have something against the ump from a prior game, they'll b**** and moan about nearly every close call.

I'm thinking we'll be seeing a lot of that tonight, because, from the sounds of it, Ozzie and Hunter haven't exactly kissed and made up.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
This is a big game for people who think we have something to prove, which we don't, or for people worried we won't win the division, which we will.

I'm sure El Duque wants to win, but this is not a big game in any stretch of the imagination.

Wow. So we should treat this like a game against the Devil Rays?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Wow.  So we should treat this like a game against the Devil Rays?

It's worth just as much. I'm sure the players are more excited to play the Yanks in Yankee Stadium, but its not a big game, unless they think they have something to prove, which would trouble me. Otherwise we have no big games until October.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Otherwise we have no big games until October.

You do know it's August 8th, right? I think even the optimistic posters on this site would say that you're belief we have no big games for the rest of the season is insane and naive.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
It's worth just as much. I'm sure the players are more excited to play the Yanks in Yankee Stadium, but its not a big game, unless they think they have something to prove, which would trouble me. Otherwise we have no big games until October.

BS. You are playing a team that you maybe facing in October. You want to have the mental edge.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Double f***ing play.

Our offense is seriously a joke, you aren't going to win many games the way we've been hitting.

ASLDFJASFJUKAA@

Welp, if there is a move to be made out there, you know Kenny will explore it.

If anyone is aware of this anemic offensive showing lately, it's KW.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
You do know it's August 8th, right?  I think even the optimistic posters on this site would say that you're belief we have no big games for the rest of the season is insane and naive.

We are 13 games up. If we have anymore regular season "big games" it means we have choked like no other team in the history of MLB. In that case we don't deserve anything so it wouldn't matter. We are not going to lose this division. Not even close.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
We are 13 games up. If we have anymore regular season "big games" it means we have choked like no other team in the history of MLB. In that case we don't deserve anything so it wouldn't matter. We are not going to lose this division. Not even close.

/in over head.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Welp, if there is a move to be made out there, you know Kenny will explore it.

If anyone is aware of this anemic offensive showing lately, it's KW.

I like to classify our offense as one that makes your throw the remote at the walls. Some offenses just suck, but ours is especially frustrating. We have a really good approach for 2-3 batters then it just goes to s***.

If that made any sense...

:lol:

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
BS. You are playing a team that you maybe facing in October. You want to have the mental edge.

And winning a game on August 8th would give you that? I hope our players aren't mental midgets like that.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)

Teams have blown double digit leads before in August. There's absolutely no guarantees in sports. We're not that dominant of a team that we can just play like crap every game, and play .500 baseball. Our schedule is very difficult, and even though it's unlikely....it's possible that we could play .333 ball for an extended period.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
And winning a game on August 8th would give you that? I hope our players aren't mental midgets like that.

When you are playing a potential October oppenent, yes. Especially when you only have 6 games against them in the regular season.