Paul Konerko

DBAHO

Had splits of .315/.388/.500 in July and splits of .300/.417/.750 (3HR in 20AB) so far this month. Is finally hitting over .200 against lefties, but still has an OPS of just under .800 against them. His BA/RISP has also increased to .250 now which is 11th for qualified AL 1B out of 15 (Justin Morneau is last with .226 BTW). :o

He'll get $10M from somebody this off-season, is that going to be us though? Teams that I can see making a run at Paulie are of course the Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays and Giants.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Had splits of .315/.388/.500 in July and splits of .300/.417/.750 (3HR in 20AB) so far this month. Is finally hitting over .200 against lefties, but still has an OPS of just under .800 against them. His BA/RISP has also increased to .250 now which is 11th for qualified AL 1B out of 15 (Justin Morneau is last with .226 BTW).  :o

He'll get $10M from somebody this off-season, is that going to be us though? Teams that I can see making a run at Paulie are of course the Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays and Giants.

I still think he'll finish the season between .275 and .280 and will resign with the White Sox. I've been laughing all year at all the people bashing him and quite frankly I'm convinced he's going to have some huge hits in the post-season for the Sox.

Of course the fact that Konerko only has 15 doubles and 0, that's right, count em 0 triples, is going to negatively impact him to "some". He's no Lyle Overbay right?

Put simply guys with OPS's of .874 (which is better than the average of his past 3 years of .827) don't grow on trees.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
Of course the fact that Konerko only has 15 doubles and 0, that's right, count em 0 triples, is going to negatively impact him to "some". He's no Lyle Overbay right?

Put simply guys with OPS's of .874 (which is better than the average of his past 3 years of .827) don't grow on trees.

0 makes him tied with everybody's favorite speedster Scotty Pods in triples.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
0 makes him tied with everybody's favorite speedster Scotty Pods in triples.

It's White Sox Baseball. We've just got to deal with it right?

It's funny really that we've had people b**** about the triple stat, because frankly we don't play in a park that allows you hit many damn triples at all, because it's too small.

I've been one of hte people who have knocked Pauly a lot this this year, he's been much, much better as of late and to be honest I've been real impressed with his performance this past month. Hopefully he keeps it up and continues to make me look like an asshole. That being said I still prefer we let the guy walk because of the amount of money he's going to make in the offseason. But it's still 05 so continues rolling Pauly. :headbang

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
Whatever. Konerko is the definition of a one dimensional ball player, one that couldn't even crack MLB's top 30 in OPS in his career year. And it would be a good idea to pay him $12 M per? f*** that.

I doubt he'll get $12M (unless some GM or owner in insane). But let's have a look at the other 1st baseman in OPS.

You've got the likes of Lee, Pujols, Delgado, Sexson, Sweeney, Helton and Teixeira in front of him. Konerko's on a hot streak right now, and is tied for 3rd for all 1st baseman with 27 HR's, and 3rd for walks (something that we really lack) with 57, and there's not a great deal of difference b/w his stats home and away this season. My guess is he'll finish in the top 30 in OPS by the end of the season.

Ok so if Konerko goes who replaces him? Can you handle Ross Gload and someone like Casey Rogowski splitting the duties at 1B next season?

EDIT: Getting forgetful with HR's and STOOPID ESPN.

Edited by DBAH0

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
I doubt he'll get $12M (unless some GM or owner in insane). But let's have a look at the other 1st baseman in OPS.

You've got the likes of Lee, Pujols, Delgado, Sexson, Sweeney, Helton and Teixeira in front of him. Konerko's on a hot streak right now, and is tied for 3rd for all 1st baseman with 26 HR's, and 3rd for walks (something that we really lack) with 57, and there's not a great deal of difference b/w his stats home and away this season. My guess is he'll finish in the top 30 in OPS by the end of the season.

Ok so if Konerko goes who replaces him? Can you handle Ross Gload and someone like Casey Rogowski splitting the duties at 1B next season?

How about Brian Giles in right field and Dye at first? :D

EDIT: By the way Pauly has 27 homers, don't take one away from him. :P

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)

See I knew you were going to throw that up. Konerko's 29, and probably in and about his prime right now, you give him a 3 year deal, he'll perform fine in that contract throughout.

Is Dye gonna be a 1B? Yeah he looked good in his 1 game there, but unless he spends say a lot of winter ball and spring training learning the position there full - time, it's probably not going to happen.

Now with Giles. IIRC fathom said his bat speed was really starting to slow down this season (help me out here dude). He's 34, and probably going to want the security of a 3 or 4 year deal. My guess is he could go to Atlanta to join his brother, but I wouldn't rule out him staying in San Diego down there, he's probably one of, if not the "franchise" guy down there with Hoffman and Peavy. That said, I've got no problems giving him a 2 year deal. He has a 1.066 OPS away from PETCO this season, and a 49/16 BB/K ratio (that's insane). And he crushes righties. But will it happen? Unfortunately I doubt it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)

You've got the likes of Lee, Pujols, Delgado, Sexson, Sweeney, Helton and Teixeira in front of him. Konerko's on a hot streak right now, and is tied for 3rd for all 1st baseman with 26 HR's, and 3rd for walks (something that we really lack) with 57, and there's not a great deal of difference b/w his stats home and away this season. My guess is he'll finish in the top 30 in OPS by the end of the season.

He'll be asking for Sexson money, which is $12M. You don't think the Mets would be willing to do that? They can overpay to get their players, but I don't think it's such a great idea for us.

As far as who replaces him, that I'm not sure about, and it may just mean that we do indeed bring him back. I was just saying that he's not worth what he's asking for.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
He'll be asking for Sexson money, which is $12M. You don't think the Mets would be willing to do that? They can overpay to get their players, but I don't think it's such a great idea for us.

As far as who replaces him, that I'm not sure about, and it may just mean that we do indeed bring him back. I was just saying that he's not worth what he's asking for.

Sexson's making $4 mill this season. That contract was heavily back loaded, because Seattle had some contracts coming off the books this season IIRC. Not doubting someone like the Mets could offer him $12 mill, but Konerko would probably give the Sox a hometown discount and probably stay for say 3 years $30 million.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
See I knew you were going to throw that up. Konerko's 29, and probably in and about his prime right now, you give him a 3 year deal, he'll perform fine in that contract throughout.

Is Dye gonna be a 1B? Yeah he looked good in his 1 game there, but unless he spends say a lot of winter ball and spring training learning the position there full - time, it's probably not going to happen.

Now with Giles. IIRC fathom said his bat speed was really starting to slow down this season (help me out here dude). He's 34, and probably going to want the security of a 3 or 4 year deal. My guess is he could go to Atlanta to join his brother, but I wouldn't rule out him staying in San Diego down there, he's probably one of, if not the "franchise" guy down there with Hoffman and Peavy. That said, I've got no problems giving him a 2 year deal. He has a 1.066 OPS away from PETCO this season, and a 49/16 BB/K ratio (that's insane). And he crushes righties. But will it happen? Unfortunately I doubt it.

I don't expect it but I wouldn't necessarily doubt it. If the sox and Dye decide they think he's suited to be a first baseman they can have him work on it all winter and spring and he seems like a good enough athlete to try it. The main thing is the sox are going to have a lot of money to spend and not to many holes to fill. I think the more likely situation is Pauly resigns and the sox make a huge run after Furcal, jmo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:48 AM)
I don't expect it but I wouldn't necessarily doubt it.  If the sox and Dye decide they think he's suited to be a first baseman they can have him work on it all winter and spring and he seems like a good enough athlete to try it.  The main thing is the sox are going to have a lot of money to spend and not to many holes to fill.  I think the more likely situation is Pauly resigns and the sox make a huge run after Furcal, jmo.

How overated is furcal? Even before this year he was nothing special to me.. still... furcal>orlando cabrera. :)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I don't expect it but I wouldn't necessarily doubt it.  If the sox and Dye decide they think he's suited to be a first baseman they can have him work on it all winter and spring and he seems like a good enough athlete to try it.  The main thing is the sox are going to have a lot of money to spend and not to many holes to fill.  I think the more likely situation is Pauly resigns and the sox make a huge run after Furcal, jmo.

I think it's more likely we'd go after Alex Gonzalez before Rafael Furcal because he would command less on the FA market, and he's an Ozzie favorite.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)

I recall many members dismissing the idea of Dye at first, but I'm in favor of considering it next season.

Glancing at the available 1st baseman next season it's slim pickings. If Konerko were to post .270/40/110 in the upcoming market he would likely net, at the least, 24mil/3yrs. I agree with Dbaho he's nowhere near deserving 12million. However, uou have to figure some general manager is bound to give him more money/years than any offer the White Sox would supply.

Problem which arises when discussing a replacement is predicting who replaces the power numbers Konerko provides for this club. I don't consider it a huge priority. Konerko has won many games with HR's, including the last two against Seattle, but how many rallies has he killed with his pull baseball approach? Of his 80+ RBI's, NONE have come from a sacrifice runs. Doesn't this sound odd for a team leading the world in sacrifice runs? I'm not critical of his production for this club as much as his selfish approach to the plate. Swing for the fences enough times a game and you're bound to hit a few.

My solution would be to move Dye to 1st and give Anderson an opportunity in RF. If we're not giving Brian a chance, then he should be packaged to another team for a 1B replacment. Perhaps Overbay will be on Williams' radar next offseason.

Our outfield is full for the forseasble future. With the supposed talent developing in our minors we'll have trouble filling positions with Pods/Rowand wearing White Sox uniforms until 2008 (and beyond). If Anderson doesn't produce, you could always use him as a bench player and move Dye back to RF. Ross Gload could possibly be platooned with a UTL infielder (Blum--if he could find his swing).

Our payroll will likely go up next year, as will the salaries of nearly every positional player/pitcher. Money saved from Konerko/Thomas may not factor much into free agent signings, but hopefully enough will be present to consider signing Wagner. If not, more is available for midseason acquisitions or 2007 FA market.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
My solution would be to move Dye to 1st and give Anderson an opportunity in RF. If we're not giving Brian a chance, then he should be packaged to another team for a 1B replacment. Our outfield is full for the forseasble future. With the supposed talent developing in our minors we'll have trouble filling positions with Pods/Rowand wearing White Sox uniforms until 2008 (and beyond).

It's been said before, but left-to-right Pods/Rowand/Anderson would be one of the weakest hitting OF's in all of baseball. The Sox are going to need power from somewhere.

It'll be interesting. We're going to get something for Konerko, be it his production for the next three-four years, or the two draft picks that will come our way through compensation. The FA market is... well, pretty weak. People that shouldn't be getting big money will probably get it. And, there might be one big bidding war for Giles, too.

So, a trade would probably need to be worked out. Adam Dunn immediately comes to mind. So does Overbay.

I gotta get my mind off the off-season... :headshake :banghead

Edited by CWSGuy406

I'll say this right now, if the Sox decide to let Konerko go (which is unlikely) and don't want Gload to take over the role, they've got options in the trade market. Here are some names;

Adam Dunn - Stating the obvious here. Of course it'd have to be a hell of a package, think Gio Gonzalez, Brian Anderson and a fringe prospect for starters. The Reds would love to dump Sean Casey instead, but the feeling is mutual from other teams around the league with the money he's making.

Lyle Overbay - The person who most Sox fans would love to see take over at 1st. Of course it's have to be another great offer for Doug Melvin to accept. They'd love Brandon McCarthy and / or Gio Gonzalez of course.

Conor Jackson - Has been rumored, but fits the mold of a DH more than a 1B, which poses an interesting option in itself. Of course the D-Backs would :wub: young pitching. Brian Anderson is a local boy, and would probably have to be included.

Chad Tracy - My choice. You won't have to give up as much for Tracy as you would Dunn or Overbay, but Tracy is going to be a great player for the next 10 years, and can play 1B, 3B and any spot in the OF, while he can anywhere from #2 to #6 in the lineup.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
Sexson's making $4 mill this season. That contract was heavily back loaded, because Seattle had some contracts coming off the books this season IIRC. Not doubting someone like the Mets could offer him $12 mill, but Konerko would probably give the Sox a hometown discount and probably stay for say 3 years $30 million.

If Konerko signs only a 3 yr. deal I will eat my shorts. I promise.

TIFWIW but Levine reported earlier in the season that the Sox did talk with Paulie about a contract extension and did not get any hometown discount.