These 2 should be stuffed in a bag and beaten!

Steff

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13402521,00.html

KITTEN BATTERED TO DEATH

A six-week-old kitten was battered to death to avoid vets bills after being trapped in a door, a court heard.

Pre-school assistant Emma Cherrett, 25, accidentally injured Star the cat in the door last October but the wounds were not fatal, magistrates heard.

However, instead of taking him for treatment, her mother Patricia Smith, 46, asked for a carrier bag and took a metre long baseball bat-shaped cylinder of wood.

Cherrett placed the short haired male into the bag and her mother took it to the front doorstep and rained down three to four hard blows, crushing the animal's skull.

Both women, from Colden Common, in Winchester, were found guilty of cruelly ill-treating a domestic short-haired kitten.

Chairman of the bench John Stainton told them jail was a possibility when they are sentenced later this month.

He said: "The suffering was not inevitable. A reasonable person would have taken the animal to a vet."

In interview with the RSPCA, Cherrett said: "I didn't want it to go through any more pain. I had to put it out of its misery. The last time I had to have a cat put to sleep it cost £170 at the vets, I couldn't afford it."

She added: "My mum had to hit it a couple of times. I don't think she hit it hard enough the first time."

Cherrett said she had not had Star spayed because it cost £45, which was too expensive.

She said in her statement: "At the end we both felt we were doing the right thing. Now I know I didn't do the right thing.

"If it happened again I think I would take it to the vets, hand it over and say it wasn't mine."

The court heard the kitten would have survived if it received treatment after being trapped in the door and it would have been alive after Smith's first blow.

The RSPCA became involved when a member of the public contacted inspectors after hearing what the pair had done.

Jan Edwards, the charity's inspector in charge of the case, said: "It has been quite a shocking case really because it is such a small animal, such a small, little kitten, six weeks old.

"The fact that they decided in less than a minute that the kitten was that severely injured and that was the only course of action for them is extremely worrying."

Just out of curiosity, how many people here eat meat?

How many have visited a slaughter house and watched a pig, cow, or chicken be dispatched?

I am in no way defending what these people have done, by our definition, it was cruel to animals. Yet we routinely butcher animals for our food and their fate is not much different that what that kitten went through. I sometimes wonder why most of us feel sad for the kitty while munching down on a nice hunk of beef.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)

How many have visited a slaughter house and watched a pig, cow, or chicken be dispatched?

I am in no way defending what these people have done, by our definition, it was cruel to animals. Yet we routinely butcher animals for our food and their fate is not much different that what that kitten went through. I sometimes wonder why most of us feel sad for the kitty while munching down on a nice hunk of beef.

Not that this makes ANY slaughter of animals right at all, but the difference I see is that the animals at the slaughterhouse are not pets, and the slaughtering is not done in lieu of taking the animal to a vet. The animals at a slaughterhouse are there for one purpose, and it's not to be a cherished housepet.

There's an absolute clash in my mind when it comes to eating meat. I've never been to a slaughterhouse, and I never would, just because I know I'd be sickened by what I saw there. Yet I love to eat meat, and I don't like the idea of going without a nice steak or slab of baby back ribs. I know there's a conflict there, but I live with it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)

They probably could have avoided the law had they simply eaten the cat. :D

I have always found the divide between pet animals and food animals and our industrial killing machines to be fascinating. Imagine the view of our society from the cows perspective. We breed them by jamming a hand way up there, with semen taken from a bull, then snatch away the calf so we can drink the milk. We load them into cattle trailers and bring them to feed yards where they are fed to produce the current best beef possible. Low fat? Well marbled? Not a problem, change the diet. Then they are lead to slaughter, moved along a conveyor, and fed to people who are outraged that a kitten suffered a similar end.

And don't get the wrong idea, I too, was outraged that someone would do that to an animal.

BTW, in Gale Sayers autobiography he talks about killing his family dog with a knife when the dog was too sick and they could not afford a vet. In the country, animals are put down all the time. Usually a gun shot to the head. One well placed blow, would have been equal to the fate cows have.

Any vegetarian besides ChiSoxy around?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
BTW, in Gale Sayers autobiography he talks about killing his family dog with a knife when the dog was too sick and they could not afford a vet. In the country, animals are put down all the time. Usually a gun shot to the head. One well placed blow, would have been equal to the fate cows have.

My dad grew up on a dairy farm (which also had chickens, a few other animals, as well as growing some veggies but it was mainly a dairy farm) and talked about that as well. He said for smaller animals they would also drown them. He said it wasn't something easy to do and always broke your heart, but in the end it was either let them suffer or quick and relatively painless.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
I have always found the divide between pet animals and food animals and our industrial killing machines to be fascinating. Imagine the view of our society from the cows perspective. We breed them by jamming a hand way up there, with semen taken from a bull, then snatch away the calf so we can drink the milk. We load them into cattle trailers and bring them to feed yards where they are fed to produce the current best beef possible. Low fat? Well marbled? Not a problem, change the diet. Then they are lead to slaughter, moved along a conveyor, and fed to people who are outraged that a kitten suffered a similar end.

And don't get the wrong idea, I too, was outraged that someone would do that to an animal.

Any vegetarian besides ChiSoxy around?

Excellent points.

It is definitely disturbing to hear about animal cruelty, but I also do not understand why the same sentiments aren't given towards the less cute and cuddly animals that also suffer animal cruelty. To me, they're all animals. I don't really sympathize for one type of animal over another.

I should also add that I've never had any pets so that probably is a factor for me.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Excellent points.

It is definitely disturbing to hear about animal cruelty, but I also do not understand why the same sentiments aren't given towards the less cute and cuddly animals that also suffer animal cruelty.

That's exactly it. Cows aren't as cute and cuddly as kittens...

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Are you a VeggieSaurus Tex? Being in the Texas area, I would guess you could be hung if you were.

I myself would consider being a vegitarian if there wasn't BBQ out there. But a pulled broccoli sandwich just won't cut it.

Texas BBQ raises BBQ to a whole different level. Nothing like some pit cooked brisket, charro beans, rice, jalapenos, onion, pickles, and a sweet tea, to brighten my day. Or maybe a 1/2 chicken. I guess it is Rudy's or Lone Star today for lunch.

The point about cute and cuddly is probably right on. To avoid getting eaten, dogs and cats became companion animals. If we ran a dog down a cattle line to be euthanized, it would be a crime.

What is the most shocking is the fact that Emma is a pre-school assistant. If she thinks it's ok to bash a cat with a bat to put it out of it's misery I can only imagine what she's teaching to the kiddies.

The proper response would have been to call the authorities & tell them a STRAY cat got caught in the door & you don't know what to do. The responsibility would then shift to the state. If given the choice between the cat having a chance to live & putting it out of it's misery it's better to choose life. Cat's & animals in general have a much greater tolerance for pain than we do.