Playoff rotation?

chisoxfan79

I know it is early but with the big lead I will talk about it anyways. How should Ozzie setup the playoff rotation. With the first two games at home I would start MB and Garland in games 1&2 they are the only starters who pitch good at The Cell then games 3&4 Freddy and El Duque who have big game Experience and pitch well on the road and if there is a game 5 back at the Cell you can go with MB unless they are playing the A's then go with Garland because he has the only two wins against the A's this year.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
I know it is early but with the big lead I will talk about it anyways.  How should Ozzie setup the playoff rotation.  With the first two games at home I would start MB and Garland in games 1&2 they are the only starters who pitch good at The Cell then games 3&4 Freddy and El Duque who have big game Experience and pitch well on the road and if there is a game 5 back at the Cell you can go with MB unless they are playing the A's then go with Garland because he has the only two wins against the A's this year.

A couple things: First, the A's and Angels are tied for the west/wildcard so it's in no way a given if the sox get in that they'll play the A's. As for the rotation if the Sox get in, in a 5 game series you're using 3 starters. Buehrle, Garland, Freddy, Buehrle, Garland.

Depends on who we play. If we play Oakland, I'd go Garland, Buehrle, Garcia. Just because Garland beat em the two times we won. No Byrnes means Buehrle maybe more successful against them.

If Anahiem, I'd go Buehrle, Garland, Garcia.

If Boston or NY, I may have to work El Duque into there, depending on how he does tonight.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
If we're facing Oakland, I'm going with Freddy in Game 2 of that game because IIRC, he pitches pretty decent against them. Buehrle probably would be my #1.

In fact, I would set up so Freddy could play the day game. Right now, it's honestly too hard to tell.

If it was up to me, Freddy wouldn't pitch one home game, unless absolutely necessary.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Again it depends on who we are facing. Also schedule plays an important part.

Why would it depend who were playing? If you read what I said 'Do everything humanly possible to pitch Freddy on the road' opponent has no effect on that.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Why would it depend who were playing?  If you read what I said 'Do everything humanly possible to pitch Freddy on the road' opponent has no effect on that.

Pitching Freddy on the road is definitely the way to go but in the playoffs he'd probably do fine wherever considering he's a big game pitcher.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Pitching Freddy on the road is definitely the way to go but in the playoffs he'd probably do fine wherever considering he's a big game pitcher.

Ok lemme break this down....who would you rather have at home MB/Garland or Freddy?

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Ok lemme break this down....who would you rather have at home MB/Garland or Freddy?

I completely agree with you, I'm just saying Freddy pitching at home in a playoff game is different then him pitching at home against the Royals when he's uninterested. I already said in this thread how I personally would set up the playoff rotation in a 5 game series with the Sox at home which included Freddy pitching game 3.

MB, JG, FG repeat as necessary.

Mark is our best, most experienced arm.

Garland is hot and if he continues you want him on the mound as often as possible.

Freddy is the best of what is left.

You don't start flipping trying for matchups. Put your best guys out there and play hard. You want Mark to get as many starts as possible.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
i would hve Contreas pitch every game.  But thats just me.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
i would hve Contreas pitch every game.  But thats just me.

Do you want to go 1st round and out?

That was, quite obviously, supposed to be in green

Edited by the People's Champ

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Would there be day games for the playoffs at all?

Freddy would be better in a day game, I think.

Yes there will be. In 2000, we played 3 day games while the networks showed the NYY in prime time.

Right now, I would pitch Buehrle #1, Garcia #2, and Garland #3 and not worry about matchups. That could change, but my thinking is to go to our strengths. I'd have to see how August/Sept. shapes up to choose between Contreras and El Duque, but I'm inclined to start Contreras in game 4 unless Buehrle is on 4 days rest, with El Duque available out of the bullpen in any game.

I just think if you start moving guys out of the rotation they've been in all year that it suggests some lack of confidence in them.

I can see the logic of matchups, but right now I'm not convinced.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Right now, I would pitch Buehrle #1, Garcia #2, and Garland #3 and not worry about matchups. That could change, but my thinking is to go to our strengths. I'd have to see how August/Sept. shapes up to choose between Contreras and El Duque, but I'm inclined to start Contreras in game 4 unless Buehrle is on 4 days rest, with El Duque available out of the bullpen in any game.

I just think if you start moving guys out of the rotation they've been in all year that it suggests some lack of confidence in them. 

I can see the logic of matchups, but right now I'm not convinced.

If we have homefield advantage...Garcia should pitch 3rd, and Buehrle should be 1st or 2nd. Buehrle has been at his best at home, Garcia's been at his best on the road. Play to that.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
We're 28-13 in day games this yr, so without a doubt we'll play all night games.

You're probably right. We were much better in night games in 2000, so we had all day games. It's an anti-Sox conspiracy I tell ya!