The Oakland A's

the People's Champ

Why is it that that when the Sox jumped off to their great start they were dismissed as a fluke and everybody said that they would fizzle out eventually. And now that the A's are on a tear everybody is saying they are the team to beat in the West. They sucked ass for the first three months of the season why wont they fizzle? No team can stay as hot as the A's are now for an extended period of time yet everyone is jumping on their proverbial nuts. Yet the Sox have been in front from the gun, and still they are getting no recognition.

If the roles had been reversed and the Sox were the ones on a tear to take over their division lead would they be getting the same kind of respect that the A's are getting right now??

I say not

where's the justice

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Ok  what does that have to do with 2005???

The Sox don't get any respect because over the last few years, they haven't earned any. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it goes.

When your team wins 91, 96, 102 and 103 games over the past four seasons and you get as hot as the A's have been the last month, it's easy to see how people might give them a little more credit than they gave the Sox initially. Beane consistently puts together winning teams and this year is no exception.

Unfortunately for us, this season has been the exception to the rule for the Sox in recent history.

I think the '04 Cards were pretty frickin hot all of last year...and still haven't cooled off really. So, teams can stay hot for a while.

We get no love because we don't play a sexy style of baseball. If our offense averaged 2 more runs per game and we had 3 guys hitting over. 300, everyone would be on our jock.

As Paulie said the other day, it was typical game for us, great pitching, great defense and no offense. That plan doesn't convince anyone.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Oakland has a history of turning it on in the second half.. and the Sox have a history of choking in the second half.

I realize that but it would be awfully hard to choke away a 13 game lead

plus i guess it doesn't help that we are the A's b**** :fight

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)

Us being their b**** is exactly why we should hope they stay hot, so we'd face them in the ALCS and not the Divisional Series.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)

No.. it wouldn't be that hard.

And it's got nothing to do with being anyone's b****... Oakland has been a better team than us in the past several years. It's clear why they are looked at more seriously.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Us being their b**** is exactly why we should hope they stay hot, so we'd face them in the ALCS and not the Divisional Series.

Am I the only one that thinks that it would be a better idea to face them in the first round?? I would think that they would step it up another notch in the LCS, that maybe we could catch them off guard early on.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)

Why is winning an ALDS something to hang our hats on? If we don't go to a world series this year, I know I'll be disappointed...

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
Why is winning an ALDS something to hang our hats on? If we don't go to a world series this year, I know I'll be disappointed...

Never meant to give the impression that I'd be happy with just an ALDS win, I just would rather face any other teams than Oakland. We don't match up well, and I'd rather give somebody else the chance to beat them in the ALDS.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
No.. it wouldn't be that hard.

And it's got nothing to do with being anyone's b****... Oakland has been a better team than us in the past several years. It's clear why they are looked at more seriously.

No you're right it wouldnt be that hard.........it would be IMPOSSIBLE

if the Sox ONLY go .500 from here, Cleveland would have to go 38-12 the rest of the way. Good luck if they could pull that one off

Edited by the People's Champ

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)

if the Sox ONLY go .500 from here, Detroit would have to go 38-12 the rest of the way.  Good luck if they could pull that one off

I think you mean Cleveland.

Either way, back to the point. The fact of the matter is that having a great regular season does not guarantee national respect. I think that we have a great team, but we have to at least win a playoff series before we can get the same respect as Oakland, Boston, Anaheim, New York, etc.

If we win a series or two in the playoffs, I guarantee that we'll be get that respect next year.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)

if the Sox ONLY go .500 from here, Detroit would have to go 38-12 the rest of the way.  Good luck if they could pull that one off

Until we clinch.. nothing is impossible.

Detroit, eh... :rolly

It has to do with a few things: Number one is definitely the recent history, the Sox were supposed to be good and they just weren't, the A's the past few years have just been unbeatable down the stretch. Second, has to do with how the Sox were portrayed at the beginning of the season. There were more espn "experts" picking the Sox to finish in 4th place then in 1st place, everyone else listens to these so called experts and all the sudden the Sox are a fluke. To be honest, Kenny and Beane have just done terrific jobs this year and there is a great chance both teams will be in similar situations next year.

Dont know how I got Detroit in there but anyway.............

I think that I was a little unclear when I started this post. I am not complaining that we dont get all the hype that these proven team get. They have been there they deserve it. I just dont see how we dont get any exposure. We have had the best record in BASEBALL the entire season. Doesnt that mean anything? Everytime I watch SportsCenter we get a 20sec spot before a commercial break. Yesterday Garland won his, Major League leading, 16th game and all I heard about on the radio was DW's 15th win. I dont expect the Sox to be catagorized with the likes of the Yanks, Boston, and Oakland, I would just like a little congratulatory gesture for the accomplishments they have made, despite the fact that they had such low expectations from everybody else.

I'd argue that we get more media attention now than ever before. Keep in mind, that it's not the standings that determine who gets more attention, it's the demand. Like it or not, a national audience is going to have more people interested in the BoSox, Spankees, and Cubs than in the team with the best record in baseball.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)

if the Sox ONLY go .500 from here, Cleveland would have to go 38-12 the rest of the way.  Good luck if they could pull that one off

No, it wouldn't be impossible. Are some of you not familiar with the history of baseball and some of the big leads that have been choked away? It has happened before and it WILL happen again. Hopefully, not in 2005.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
No, it wouldn't be impossible.  Are some of you not familiar with the history of baseball and some  of the big leads that have been choked away?  It has happened before and it WILL happen again.  Hopefully, not in 2005.

If the sox don't win the division I will eat a car.