With Indian Mascots going...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
So then why even do the dance if it's Sioux and not Illini?

And if it is, in fact, true that the Seminole tribe was "paid off," good for them.  I hope they're getting a good amount.

Simple: There aren't anymore Illini. I believe the Sioux tribe is an offshoot of an Illini tribe. Related, but not a part of. If it was an authentic Illini dance and outfit, would that make a difference? I'm guessing that to most of the people on the no Native American mascot side, the answer would still be no.

Also, I believe, at least in my case, that I know more about the Illini tribe than I would have if the U of I were called the Fighting Lincolns or the Tigers or whatever. Name dies, tribe dies some more.

As much as I think this whole thing's stupid, it's much easier to argue the side that these names are wrong, from what I'm seeing. Here's an excerpt from a column I read this morning...

Many feel that allowing Native Americans to force nickname changes is as silly as allowing folks from Ireland to mess with Notre Dame.

Yet few of those critics are from a culture that has been stolen, hidden and now demeaned.

In other words, Notre Dame fans, leprechauns weren't real people.

THIS SATURDAY, ON ESPN!!!!

IT'S

The Notre Dame Debating Citizens of Irish Descent

vs.

The University of Illinois Illinoisians With Strong Dissenting Opinions

BE THERE!!!!!!

IT'S GONNA BE A WAAAAAARRRR!!!! I mean.....A BATTLE!!!!!.....I mean, AN ATHLETIC COMPETITION IN THE SPIRIT OF FAIR PLAY AND SPORTSMANSHIP!!!!!!

In order to appease everyone, the following terms have also been changed:

"bomb" will become "very long pass"

"blitz" will become "hurrying towards the quarterback"

"2 minute warning" will become "notice that only 2 minutes remain"

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
It's great to be an Iowa State fan, represented by something that isn't even really there.

Kinda like our football team the majority of the past 90 years.

LOL I know what you mean by that one. It just makes me mad that these names can't be used anymore. I have a bit of Native-American in me, not enough to be considered one, but it just doesn't seem fair. You don't see Cowboys getting mad, or Packers getting mad. But I guess I didn't think the Bullets needed a name change either.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Simple:  There aren't anymore Illini.  I believe the Sioux tribe is an offshoot of an Illini tribe.  Related, but not a part of.  If it was an authentic Illini dance and outfit, would that make a difference?  I'm guessing that to most of the people on the no Native American mascot side, the answer would still be no.

Also, I believe, at least in my case, that I know more about the Illini tribe than I would have if the U of I were called the Fighting Lincolns or the Tigers or whatever.  Name dies, tribe dies some more.

Actually, my roommate did a report on the incident and said that the leading replacement name from a poll was "Prarie Fire." In my book that's about as stupid a name as you could come up with. We might as well change our colors to pink and purple if that happens. That's almost as bad as the Hofstra Pride (apparently some Dutch people were pissed about the Flying Dutchman :huh ).

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
THIS SATURDAY, ON ESPN!!!!

IT'S

The Notre Dame Debating Citizens of Irish Descent

vs.

The University of Illinois Illinoisians With Strong Dissenting Opinions

BE THERE!!!!!!

IT'S GONNA BE A WAAAAAARRRR!!!! I mean.....A BATTLE!!!!!.....I mean, AN ATHLETIC COMPETITION IN THE SPIRIT OF FAIR PLAY AND SPORTSMANSHIP!!!!!!

In order to appease everyone, the following terms have also been changed:

"bomb" will become "very long pass"

"blitz" will become "hurrying towards the quarterback"

"2 minute warning" will become "notice that only 2 minutes remain"

:lolhitting :lolhitting :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Actually, my roommate did a report on the incident and said that the leading replacement name from a poll was "Prarie Fire." In my book that's about as gay a name as you could come up with. We might as well change our colors to pink and purple if that happens. That's almost as bad as the Hofstra Pride (apparently some Dutch people were pissed about the Flying Dutchman :huh ).

uis' mascot is prairie stars. far worse than any name uiuc can come up with...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Actually, my roommate did a report on the incident and said that the leading replacement name from a poll was "Prarie Fire." In my book that's about as stupid a name as you could come up with. We might as well change our colors to pink and purple if that happens. That's almost as bad as the Hofstra Pride (apparently some Dutch people were pissed about the Flying Dutchman :huh ).

It's not that stupid...at least we'd be named after a shot. Tequila and Tabasco...mmmmmmm.

How about the "Lincolns?" Block I could become Block L and they can all wear black top hats.