Fisk statue

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
I know a lot of people really differ with my view of Fisk, but I'm interested to see what you guys think of the statue that was put up in his honor and the very diplomatic speech he made.

I think that I really enjoy having so many ex-sox players with the club...and around the club...ozzie, harold, raines, etc...so I like that Fisk has sort of been welcomed back to the Sox family. I hope he becomes more of a presence...and I think that statue was a great tribute to a great player.

See, I feel as though the White Sox fans are considered the "red-headed step-children" that Fisk has just had to deal with. On the excerpts I heard of his speech, what he said seemed sort of forced and half-hearted.

I understand he is a new-englander, and it seems like he'll always be a Red Sox in his heart and treat the White Sox as his "second team" and the White Sox fans as his "second fans"

I really don't like that treatment. I understand he had a falling out with Sox ownership that resulted in bad blood and sealed his entry into the hall-of-fame as a Red Sox, but it still makes me feel kind of bad.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
See, I feel as though the White Sox fans are considered the "red-headed step-children" that Fisk has just had to deal with. On the excerpts I heard of his speech, what he said seemed sort of forced and half-hearted.

I understand he is a new-englander, and it seems like he'll always be a Red Sox in his heart and treat the White Sox as his "second team" and the White Sox fans as his "second fans"

I really don't like that treatment. I understand he had a falling out with Sox ownership that resulted in bad blood and sealed his entry into the hall-of-fame as a Red Sox, but it still makes me feel kind of bad.

He was a great player who played for 2 teams, and for a lot of years with each...no matter what, he would be torn with his situation. I think he enjoyed his time here with us and his time there with them.

When has Fisk ever been one to joke around or feel comfortable speaking in front of a lot of people. That's just the way he is, it's the way he was as a player and it's the way he is as an ex-player. Im sure he loves the fact that there is now a statue of him on the left field concourse at the Cell and I'm sure he appreciates the fans that loved him for so many years on the South Side. He's just not all that great at expressing his feelings.

That can definitely be the case, and I've wondered that myself.

The bottom line is.... that home-run is one of the most memorable in baseball history. and because of it there was no way fisk was going in as a whitesox.

but we need to start cementing a history as an organization, i think of all the old franchises we are the one with the weakest history. Thats why i think keeping former greats like Fisk happy is important. give him a statue have him come out once in awhile and have this year fill the foundation for a decade of dominance.

in 2025.... The Mark Buehrle statue will be unveiled, 7(i duno why i picked 7) years after the Frank statue was unveiled and 2 years before the A.J. Pierzynski wall tribute is unvield. trust me on this one.

I totally agree with Murcie that we have one of the weakest "legacies" of all the original AL franchises. I think if you asked non-sox fans who the retired numbers were from the White Sox, you'd find that most people under the age of 30 couldn't name even one (most associate Fisk with the Red Sox).

Tribute to Fisk is a tribute to Reinsdorf

They unveiled the statue in the concourse beyond the center-field wall, and it looked just like him. Carlton Fisk will stand there forever with his catcher's mitt and the thick eye-black under both eyes. Right next to it, the real Fisk was saying it was the "most spectacular and significant recognition that I've had in my life.''

Many of his old teammates were there, and photographers and old-timers and other official-looking people. And there, quietly off to the side, leaning against a brick wall, was Jerry Reinsdorf.

If the White Sox win the World Series, will there be a statue for the Sox chairman someday?

"They'll want a statue for the pigeons,'' Reinsdorf joked.

This was an important moment for the Sox because even in great times, there often seems to be a cloud over this stadium, this franchise. And that's Reinsdorf. But Sunday was significant because Fisk left the Sox amid a vicious feud with Reinsdorf. He was dumped in midseason and then barred from the locker room when they won the division. When the Sox later retired his number, he reportedly insisted that Reinsdorf not be there.

Now Reinsdorf has brought Fisk back into the family. I'm sure there were p.r. reasons for this, but make no mistake:

This was Reinsdorf being big enough to reach out and Fisk big enough to accept.

"Jerry and I got off to a special relationship to start with,'' Fisk said. "There were some bumps along the way, a lot of water under the dam. You move on.

"At the risk of sounding too melodramatic ... in every great battle there is a commemorative statue. I'm not remotely trying to equate this with any of the important statues. But this might be important to [Fisk and Reinsdorf].''

Something else happened that you never would have guessed. Fisk threw the ceremonial opening pitch to his old battery mate, Jack McDowell, who also left on terrible terms with Reinsdorf.

Reinsdorf is suddenly so magnanimous. Maybe you get to a certain age and start wondering what your legacy will be, what your statue is going to be used for. Reinsdorf is 69 and had angioplasty this year, and maybe he just doesn't want to go down as the guy who kept running our sports heroes out of town.

Why would he honor Fisk so openly? He didn't really have to bring him, or Black Jack, back, no matter who was responsible for the falling out. But the Sox are the best team in baseball with a chance to win the World Series for the first time in 88 years.

If that happens, it's going to be Reinsdorf's big moment. He wouldn't need Fisk or McDowell to share it. Yet he has brought them back, even having McDowell broadcast when Hawk Harrelson was out.

Really, Fisk didn't need to be honored this fast, ahead of so many others. This statue-building thing started when they sold the Comiskey name on the park to U.S. Cellular. So they built a statue to Charles Comiskey and decided to build more. Next was Minnie Minoso, an obvious choice.

And third was Fisk? Ahead of Nellie Fox, Luke Appling, Luis Aparacio or Wilbur Wood?

In history, Fisk will go down as a Red Sox player, waving that home-run ball fair. He chose the Red Sox cap on his Hall of Fame plaque, partly as a shot at Reinsdorf.

It was so ugly the way Fisk left in 1993. He wouldn't acknowledge that he was done, and he kept fighting for playing time as he approached the record for games caught. A week after he broke the record, the Sox dumped him during a series in Cleveland.

We've seen all the things Reinsdorf has done through the years, threatening to move the team to Florida, being a hawk in the 1994 labor fight that might have cost the Sox a World Series, committing the White Flag trade in 1997. And the stars always seem to leave angry.

But honestly, all of those things would be pushed down if the Sox could win this World Series.

So the Sox beat the Mariners 3-1 on Sunday. Jon Garland won his 16th game. Aaron Rowand made a great catch to save the game. Several players signed autographs for kids beforehand. And Reinsdorf, even without speaking to the crowd at Fisk's ceremony, said plenty.

Reinsdorf said other statues will be built, though he wouldn't specify who would be honored. I've suggested names already, though they wouldn't have the same marketing appeal. But the big one for Reinsdorf would be former owner Bill Veeck. Can you imagine?

Whatever, if the Sox win it all, there will be a statue of Reinsdorf someday. Maybe it's not too late to chase away the pigeons.

The sculpture took a year to craft by Chicago artist Lou Cella, who also did the Harry Caray statue outside Wrigley Field, as well as statues for the Detroit Tigers and other memorials. It depicts Fisk in a familiar pose, standing in his catcher's gear, eye black on his cheeks and his cap on backward, catcher-style.