postgame whining about umpiring

Greg Hibbard

[rant]

Did anyone hear the postgame last night on ESPN1000? The phones were lit up with people wanting to b**** about Freming and Wendelstat and how we had "no chance" to win on Wednesday because Freming was calling balls and strikes. They were also going on and on that the Sox can only score so many runs per game the way this team is built.

I wanted to punch the f***ing radio!

This line of reasoning is preposterous. I was appalled that people are willing to accept what's happening at the plate from the Sox and blame the umps for bad calls when we don't execute anyway. I know most people here aren't accepting it, but what about the GM and the Coach? Are they on board with this reasoning that the team is built a certain way and everything should fall on the shoulders of the pitching staff and the umps while .240 and .227 hitters just get a free pass day in and day out?

This is absurd. I really think we have a chance to go deep in the postseason, but the fact of the matter is that without a healthy Thomas, we have zero bench depth offensively and a questionable everyday lineup at best. Now that Podsednik is creeping back down to his career average and the rest of the team seems to be settling back in to a low-.260/high .250 team average, I'm ready to say that if we don't get offensive help, we will be hard pressed to win a playoff series against any team. Imagine if anyone else were to get injured!

If we don't make a move and get a BIG bat, I feel we'll be out quickly in the playoffs...first round for sure...and this is not the f***ing umps fault! Yes, Wendelstat and Freming are terrible. Yes, they may have it "in" for the Sox. We shouldn't be relying on scoring 2-3 runs a night and relying on miraculous pitching to make it hold up!

Lately we have been making schlubs like the entire Toronto staff and Joel Pineiro look like Cy Freaking Young!

[/rant]

Hey, there were some pretty bad calls last night, but I don't think that any of those calls affected the ultimate result of the game. The Sox hitters struggled against a very good pitcher in Mussina.

Overall, I'm worried about the offense. We need to hit the ball more, give our pitchers some breathing room if a few calls don't go our way.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Well, look out, because though every team in the world owns him, Shawn Chacon is pitching tonight.  Power righty whom the Sox haven't seen?  It's going to be a long night...

It's gonna be a long night because Contreras is facing his old squad who'll want some payback...

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
It's gonna be a long night because Contreras is facing his old squad who'll want some payback...

It'll only be a long night if he walks a lot of people. I'll guarantee you one of the Yankees will hit a home run, because they have so many damn home run hitters its not even funny. The goal is to make them do it with 1 person on base or less.

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
Hey, there were some pretty bad calls last night, but I don't think that any of those calls affected the ultimate result of the game.  The Sox hitters struggled against a very good pitcher in Mussina.

Overall, I'm worried about the offense.  We need to hit the ball more, give our pitchers some breathing room if a few calls don't go our way.

Mussina did not have a very good night last night. He left way too many balls out over the plate...our guys just missed them. From watching the game, I think the biggest culprit was actually Dye...the guy just fouled off so many hittable pitches from Mussina it's not funny.

This offense has thrived the whole year on having a couple of people get hot at every time...last night, the guys who had been hot for us lately just didn't do anything (AJ, Iguchi). Hopefully, someone else can pick it up soon. Dye is due for a good run again. Uribe's well overdue.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
[rant]

Did anyone hear the postgame last night on ESPN1000? The phones were lit up with people wanting to b**** about Freming and Wendelstat and how we had "no chance" to win on Wednesday because Freming was calling balls and strikes. They were also going on and on that the Sox can only score so many runs per game the way this team is built.

I wanted to punch the f***ing radio!

This line of reasoning is preposterous. I was appalled that people are willing to accept what's happening at the plate from the Sox and blame the umps for bad calls when we don't execute anyway. I know most people here aren't accepting it, but what about the GM and the Coach? Are they on board with this reasoning that the team is built a certain way and everything should fall on the shoulders of the pitching staff and the umps while .240 and .227 hitters just get a free pass day in and day out?

This is absurd. I really think we have a chance to go deep in the postseason, but the fact of the matter is that without a healthy Thomas, we have zero bench depth offensively and a questionable everyday lineup at best. Now that Podsednik is creeping back down to his career average and the rest of the team seems to be settling back in to a low-.260/high .250 team average, I'm ready to say that if we don't get offensive help, we will be hard pressed to win a playoff series against any team. Imagine if anyone else were to get injured!

If we don't make a move and get a BIG bat, I feel we'll be out quickly in the playoffs...first round for sure...and this is not the f***ing umps fault! Yes, Wendelstat and Freming are terrible. Yes, they may have it "in" for the Sox. We shouldn't be relying on scoring 2-3 runs a night and relying on miraculous pitching to make it hold up!

Lately we have been making schlubs like the entire Toronto staff and Joel Pineiro look like Cy Freaking Young!

[/rant]

So what has changed since the beginning of the year? the club is the same, functions the same, plays the same. Whats different?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
So what has changed since the beginning of the year?  the club is the same, functions the same, plays the same.  Whats different?

No Frank Thomas = No Bench Depth.

That's what's changed. Before Frank was out for the year, the feeling was that Everett was a capable major league bat off the bench who could play a little outfield too.

Now we don't have that for the remainder of the year.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
No Frank Thomas = No Bench Depth.

That's what's changed. Before Frank was out for the year, the feeling was that Everett was a capable major league bat off the bench who could play a little outfield too.

Now we don't have that for the remainder of the year.

Frank was here for a month. the team functioned pretty damn well without him, and everyone complained about corpseball when he returned because he was station to station.

this team relies on pitching and defense to win games. The offense comes and goes. Its been this way since the first game when they won 1-0. Complaining about it excessively now isnt going to change anything. Aside from adding a KGJ type bat, this is what you are going to have in the playoffs.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Frank was here for a month.  the team functioned pretty damn well without him, and everyone complained about corpseball when he returned because he was station to station.

this team relies on pitching and defense to win games. The offense comes and goes.  Its been this way since the first game when they won 1-0. Complaining about it excessively now isnt going to change anything. Aside from adding a KGJ type bat, this is what you are going to have in the playoffs.

That is not entirely correct. There have been times when we were very effective at driving in the important runs. Lately, and last night was a perfect example, we are stranding way too many RISP. We had some golden opportunities to take the lead in that ball game but failed, which is something that we haven't been doing all year.

yeah the offense blows right now. seems like every thread has been coming back to this point. eerie. It's as if people are just posting the same thing over an over again while they wait for the game to start.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Hawk went overboard b****ing about the Dye call. If it had been from an ump he liked, there is no way he'd react that way. Hawk's credibility just shrinks by the month

Just so you get an even perspective, Rooney and Farmer harped about it longer than usual as well.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Just so you get an even perspective, Rooney and Farmer harped about it longer than usual as well.

How did they fit that into the Golf and Rock and Roll show?

Worst broadcast of the year, they missed entire at bats. I had to look it up on GameDay to see how Cantu got on 1b, for all I could tell from the radio he just parachuted in with the Elvis'.

Terrible, lazy broadcast. Not calling plays is like a batter not running out a ground ball.