Interesting story from NBC5.com

Queen Prawn

Couple Credits Bunny With Saving Woman's Wife

Couple Credits Bunny With Saving Woman's Wife

Rabbit alerts Man To Wife's Condition

POSTED: 8:03 am CDT August 9, 2005

PORT BYRON, Ill. -- When she purchased the $10 baby rabbit at a yard sale, Darcy Murphy had no idea it would save her life a few weeks later.

Darcy and her husband, Ed, had planned to get their children Dylan, 7 and Callie, 9, a pet, but wanted to wait until after Darcy gave birth to the couple's third child, expected in June.

At the beginning of May, Darcy Murphy was at a yard sale by herself and saw the baby rabbits.

"I made the mistake of holding her, and then I had to get her," she said.

Robin the rabbit lived in the Murphys' living room, located just off the master bedroom.

On Friday, May 13, the Murphys went to bed about 10:30 p.m. About 3 a.m., Ed Murphy woke up to the sound of Robin making noise in her cage. Hesitant to get up because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, he tried to ignore the racket.

"The rabbit was jumping up," he said. "I thought the rabbit was going to knock off the top (of the cage)."

Finally, he went into the living room and opened the cage to see what was going on. He thought he heard his wife lightly snoring. He decided to lie back down on the couch to try to go back to sleep.

"The rabbit would not quit hitting the top of the cage. She was going wild," he said.

He put a garbage can on top of the rabbit's cage so it wouldn't get out and went back into the bedroom. This time, Darcy was making noises like she was having a bad dream. But when he looked at her, her eyes were wide open.

"She was staring straight ahead," he said. After trying to wake her up, "I just grabbed the phone and called 911."

He gave the operator the necessary information and then dropped the phone and ran to the kitchen when he remembered his wife, who had been diagnosed with gestational diabetes several months before, had learned in a class at Genesis Medical Center's Illini Campus to keep cake frosting in the refrigerator in case her blood sugar got too low.

When he got back in the bedroom, he could hear the operator saying "Sir, are you still there?" He told her why he had dropped the phone, which confused the operator because he hadn't explained that Mrs. Murphy had gestational diabetes.

"All this lady knew was she was unconscious and I'm shoving frosting in her mouth," Ed Murphy said.

A few minutes later, the paramedics showed up and took Mrs. Murphy to Illini where she stayed for five days until her blood sugar levels were under control.

Mrs. Murphy delivered the baby, Brenna, or "Brenna Bunny" as the nurses liked to call her, on June 13.

"It was the most scary thing I've ever been through in my life," Mr. Murphy said. Typically, he's a very heavy sleeper. He said he hasn't seen the rabbit act like that since and hadn't seen her do it before that night either.

Mrs. Murphy's obstetrician, Dr. Anita Pinc, said gestational diabetes is a carbohydrate intolerance during pregnancy. Hormones secreted during pregnancy can make the body unable to process insulin.

Mrs. Murphy's insulin levels were increased throughout her pregnancy, but later in the pregnancy her blood sugar changed so she didn't need as much insulin. When her husband couldn't wake her up, she had gone into an insulin shock from too much insulin.

"She wasn't waking up. I guess the rabbit was telling her husband 'Wake up, wake up. Something is wrong with your wife,"' Pinc said. "It can be really scary. They can go into a hypoglycemic coma and sometimes even die from this. It was very good the rabbit woke them up and saved her life."

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
I don't get it.  The rabbit is in a different room.  How did it know to jump?

pure coincidence? or some other ultra animal sense? That’s up to you to decide. Yes i think some dogs have been almost proven to be able to sniff out certin sickness much like they would a bomb. and you hear about cats and dogs waking up owners when there are fires and such. But rabits arnt the most intelegent of animals so i'm leaning to coincidence but a damn good one.

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
pure coincidence?  or some other ultra animal sense?  That’s up to you to decide. Yes i think some dogs have been almost proven to be able to sniff out certin sickness much like they would a bomb. and you hear about cats and dogs waking up owners when there are fires and such. But rabits arnt the most intelegent of animals so i'm leaning to coincidence but a damn good one.

There have been reports of some animals acting very strange just before an earthquake hits.

They are obviously able to tell when something isn't quite right much quicker than humans.

Turns out the rabbit had fallen onto a stray carrot and it got lodged.....somewhere...

Lucky for the Murphys, not so lucky for Robin the Rabbit.

In all the excitement, no one checked on Robin's "condition" and soon they all left for the hospital. Things were looking grim, and Robin had to act fast. There was only one thing to do......

That's right.......Robin had no choice but to EAT the carrot out of her own ass.

Not exactly the reward this heroic bunny would have hoped for.....

....and now you know.....the REST.....of the story.......G'DAY!!!

Other moments in bunny history

A history lesson they leave out of the books :-)

Note: While some presidential apologists have suggested that Carter might actually have been attacked by a nutria, a large, aggressive aquatic rodent, others have insisted that the President's assailant was a simple, if unusually vicious, bunny rabbit. Fulk, the 12th century king of Jerusalem, was killed by a rabbit. (Well, really he was killed by a fall from his horse, but the horse had been startled by a rabbit.) And many years ago, I was the owner of a Blue Dutch rabbit named Sequin. One of my friends still bears the scars of an encounter with Sequin--a perfectly matched set of parallel teeth marks, where Sequin's fangs closed on her hand and ripped through the flesh when she pulled her hand away. Bunnies are, indeed, fiercer than anyone but Monty Python has generally given them credit for.

And finally do you think the family will ever need this link?