A spark for the sox down the stretch

beck72

Another guy to toss out possibly is Casey Rogowski, although that's extremely doubtful at best because you've got Ross Gload wasting away in AAA (albeit he is playing RF everyday which could mean something in itself). Anderson hasn't played for the past week down in Charlotte, hopefully it's nothing serious, because the way he's been swinging the bat, even though Charlotte is a hitter's park and his K/BB ratio needs serious improvement, he could have a Jeff Francouer like impact (and Francouer had worse stats than Chris Young in AA before he was promoted to the Braves).

One thing with Owens, he's got a real good OBP (with a 58/40 K/BB ratio), but he's stolen 31 bases and been caught 16 times, which is Willie Harris like. In short, he's gonna have to learn how to steal a base better, but we've got Tim Raines Jr. to help him with that if he's called up in the future.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 07:12 AM)
Anderson hasn't played for the past week down in Charlotte, hopefully it's nothing serious, because the way he's been swinging the bat, even though Charlotte is a hitter's park and his K/BB ratio needs serious improvement, he could have a Jeff Francouer like impact (and Francouer had worse stats than Chris Young in AA before he was promoted to the Braves).

This is why I'd like to see Chris Young called up. He's nearly a 20/20 guy at Birmingham (18 HR, 20 SB), has a good OBP, a good BB/K ratio, good HR and gap power, and a decent average in a pitchers park. I'd like to see what he could do in a hitter's park like Comiskey.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
BWAHAHAHA, he can come along with Derek Lowe if he wants.

Anyways, Owens has been in the minors for pretty much just over a full season now. I think they'll want to see how he does in Charlotte next season, but he projects to be a 4th OF in the long - term, unless he can keep hitting.

Anderson will be a September call - up, but the Sox can always call him up before then and use him in the playoffs. He could be used in the DH spot instead of Timo, and could also be used in the OF, instead of Timo.

These guys ain't that smart, and besides, as I've posted before, Timo has a 4 leaf clover shoved so far up his ass that he's growing 8 leaf clovers by now.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
He's nearly a 20/20 guy at Birmingham (18 HR, 20 SB), has a good OBP, a good BB/K ratio, good HR and gap power, and a decent average in a pitchers park. I'd like to see what he could do in a hitter's park like Comiskey.

After tonight he is a 20/20 guy with 20 HR 20 SB

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
This is why I'd like to see Chris Young called up. He's nearly a 20/20 guy at Birmingham (18 HR, 20 SB), has a good OBP, a good BB/K ratio, good HR and gap power, and a decent average in a pitchers park. I'd like to see what he could do in a hitter's park like Comiskey.

The problem is that this is Young's 1st season above low A ball. Francouer IIRC spent the year before this one at AAA, or some part of it. It's more likely we see Anderson up here before Young.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
The problem is that this is Young's 1st season above low A ball. Francouer IIRC spent the year before this one at AAA, or some part of it. It's more likely we see Anderson up here before Young.

I'm hoping one or the other gets called up, and if either does, I know it's more than likely going to be Anderson. I'm just intrigued by Young, as the only thing he hasn't done in a pitcher's park at AA is post a good batting average. Everything else he's done there has been amazing. Before he went into his HR drought, he was challenging Delmon Young for the SL HR lead. I know Young is probably not going to get called up, but he is the most interesting option to me.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:36 PM)
Once you get placed on the 40-man, the clocks start ticking. I'm coming around on Young, so I don't want to see him on the 40-man sooner than we have to. If we don't have to use up Young's service time, don't.

Well the clock ticks for 3 full seasons then he gets Arbitration then after 6 years he reaches free agency. If he was brought up now I don't think that would count as a full season so his Arb. clock wouldn't start until next season.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
Thanks for the update. Since you see him in person a lot more than most here, what do you think of the idea of the Sox calling up Chris Young?

I don't see him in person, but I'm certainly one of his largest fans here on the site, and I'll tell you right now he's not ready to help this club in any convincing way.

Francoeur is playing over his head. He has better contact skills than CY, but he was not tearing up the Southern League by any means. He was, however, considered a top prospect from the moment he was drafted, whereas CY was considered a 'tools' guy and a project.

He's either set up for a terrible fall between now and the postseason, or a poor sophmore slump year if the Braves keep him on the roster next season.

Francouer IIRC spent the year before this one at AAA, or some part of it. It's more likely we see Anderson up here before Young.

Nope. He had some time at AA last year, but not AAA. He was a 1st round pick who put decent enough results level to level to maintain his status as a top prospect, nothing earthshattering.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
Nope. He had some time at AA last year, but not AAA. He was a 1st round pick who put decent enough results level to level to maintain his status as a top prospect, nothing earthshattering.

According to BA he is the #1 prospect in the Braves organization and the #14 in all of baseball. They say he's the best hitter for average and the best athlete in the Braves org.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
I don't see him in person, but I'm certainly one of his largest fans here on the site, and I'll tell you right now he's not ready to help this club in any convincing way.

You're probably right. When I see big numbers like Young is putting up, I want to see what he can do at the next level. That's why he's intriguing to me, especially when you consider that he's putting these big numbers up in a pitcher's park. Any chance he moves up to AAA or even the bigs with the September call-ups?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)

I knew he was in AA or AAA last season, wasn't 100% sure to be exact though. But we should see him drop off like Mike Morse has been doing for Seattle as Cheat said.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
You're probably right. When I see big numbers like Young is putting up, I want to see what he can do at the next level. That's why he's intriguing to me, especially when you consider that he's putting these big numbers up in a pitcher's park. Any chance he moves up to AAA or even the bigs with the September call-ups?

IMO, He'll most likely finish the AA year at B-Ham. He won't be seeing AAA and especially the bigs this year. He'll be invited to spring training again this year and then most likely start next season with B-ham again unless he's f***ing unreal in spring training then he could earn himself a spot in Charlotte but chances are he'll start off next season in B-ham. If he continues to produce like this next year in AA he could see a promotion to Charlotte somewhat early in the year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
According to BA he is the #1 prospect in the Braves organization and the #14 in all of baseball. They say he's the best hitter for average and the best athlete in the Braves org.

I'm not denying his status as a prospect. The way hitting prospects seem to be judged is pure tools and production is a bonus. Like I said, Francoeur did enough to maintain his status as a top prospect since getting drafted in the 1st round. Top hitters tend to be rushed (see Sweeney) and then their production isn't as stellar as their prospect rating. Since Francoeur kept his production up after getting moved up levels from year to year he kept climbing prospect charts to where he is now. Jeff is a great strike zone hitter and ML pitchers are having trouble pitching him out of the zone because he's still hitting that. He has little plate patience, but, quite frankly, he doesn't need any right now. He'll be a good one but he needs to learn discipline.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)

No. Birmingham is in 1st place and Charlotte is awful, he's staying in Bham. If it was the other way around it would be a remote possibility he would go to Charlotte.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
IMO, He'll most likely finish the AA year at B-Ham. He won't be seeing AAA and especially the bigs this year. He'll be invited to spring training again this year and then most likely start next season with B-ham again unless he's f***ing unreal in spring training then he could earn himself a spot in Charlotte but chances are he'll start off next season in B-ham. If he continues to produce like this next year in AA he could see a promotion to Charlotte somewhat early in the year.

I know you're not alone on this, but I just think that sending Young back to AA would be ridiculous. He won't need to set the world on fire to get to AAA to start next year, that's for sure.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
I know you're not alone on this, but I just think that sending Young back to AA would be ridiculous. He won't need to set the world on fire to get to AAA to start next year, that's for sure.

I'd love to see Young start the '06 season in Charlotte, I just posted what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.