Official game thread for August 10th

Ishmookie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Bottom 4TH B:2 S:0 O:0

Alex Rodriguez singles on a ground ball to center fielder Aaron Rowand. 

Bottom 4TH B:0 S:0 O:0

Hideki Matsui singles on a ground ball to right fielder Jermaine Dye.    Alex Rodriguez to 2nd. 

Bottom 4TH B:1 S:0 O:1

Jason Giambi grounds out to first baseman Paul Konerko.    Alex Rodriguez to 3rd.    Hideki Matsui to 2nd. 

Bottom 4TH B:3 S:3 O:2

Bernie Williams strikes out swinging. 

Bottom 4TH B:0 S:1 O:3

John Flaherty pops out to first baseman Paul Konerko.

Thank you for your work.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
What a strange reason to dislike him.  He's got a .350 OBP with a billion steals - is it his fault he doesn't get driven in?  Do you want him to steal home?

That'd be pretty cool. You never see it anymore.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
He's the most overrated player on Soxtalk. Everybody loves his stolen bases, but not only can he not drive home runs, he doesn't score that many.

Scott's actually been pretty damn clutch this year, he's batting somewhere in the neighborhood of .330 with risp and 2 outs and him not scoring runs isn't his fault.

Last year in the beginning of august we couldnt hit, struck out a bunch of times with men in scoring position. Kicked the ball around and lost like 11 in a row.

This year the only reason that isnt happening is pitching and defense. But our offense is blowing dog.

Small is a lot of things, but he is not a strikeout pitcher.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
He's the most overrated player on Soxtalk. Everybody loves his stolen bases, but not only can he not drive home runs, he doesn't score that many.

He did have 12 Hr's last year, but he has barely shown any kind of power this year. Now i know his job is to get on base, but when he comes up w/ 2 outs he needs to try and drive the ball. Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)

This'll get ya in trouble. We are winning because of pitching, defense and the mental state Ozzie has this team in. Everything they do offensivly can be questioned except Iguchi (although I would like for him to stop giving himself up.)

Do you get the feeling they are almost afraid to change things up? It seems every other week we are talking about being in a huge slump? Have we come from behind in a game since the beginning of July.....

Top 5TH B:0 S:0 O:1

Pablo Ozuna bunt pops out to first baseman Jason Giambi in foul territory.

Top 5TH B:1 S:1 O:2

Carl Everett pops out to second baseman Robinson Cano.

Top 5TH B:3 S:2 O:3

Paul Konerko flies out to right fielder Tony Womack.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
He did have 14 Hr's last year, but he has barely shown any kind of power this year. Know i now his job is to get on base, but when he comes up w/ 2 outs he needs to try and drive the ball.

That's exactly what I was saying. Maybe he needs to change his approach.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Last year in the beginning of august we couldnt hit, struck out a bunch of times with men in scoring position.  Kicked the ball around and lost like 11 in a row.

This year the only reason that isnt happening is pitching and defense.  But our offense is blowing dog.

Small is a lot of things, but he is not a strikeout pitcher.

Well the same guys that hit also defend in case you didn't know.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
He did have 14 Hr's last year, but he has barely shown any kind of power this year. Know i now his job is to get on base, but when he comes up w/ 2 outs he needs to try and drive the ball.

Screw driving the ball. Everyone is hung up on power.

MAKE CONTACT AND HIT LINE DRIVES.

That is what we need with men on. If he hits a line drive into the gap it scores 2 and sets up the inning for another run.

And now its not just me, Belton Bill, Farmio, Rooney and others have made comments about how we are near last in the AL in doubles and singles. And how that is a disturbing trend.

Looks at our K numbers, they are pretty high for a small ball team.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
What a strange reason to dislike him.  He's got a .350 OBP with a billion steals - is it his fault he doesn't get driven in?  Do you want him to steal home?

When the One Dog and Ray Durham and Tim Raines were leading off, they all scored 100+ runs a season. Its not his fault he doesn't score all the time, although he could hit a homer every now and then. I think its a flaw in the smallball or smartball philosophy. I always agreed that stolen bases were undervalued, but I'm beginning to agree with the Billy Beane guys that they are overvalued. Pods isn't even in the top 50 for runs scored, and considering how many times he has been caught stealing and picked off where it was not ruled a caught stealing, his OBP is distorted. In reality it should be about 40 or 50 points lower.

Edited by Dick Allen