We need another bat

GasHeGone

With Frank out for the year and Carl nursing his groin back to health, our need for another bat has never been more obvious as it has been in the last two games against the Yankees. I mean, Timo batting fifth for the best team in baseball against the Yankees?!?!?!?!? Unacceptable.

Granted, Carl got an AB tonight and I heard that he should be in the line-up tomorrow but it's not enough. When you lose future HOFer Frank Thomas for the year, you gotta make a move...or, at least, a better move than acquiring Geoff Blum. Blum's glove won the game tonight, but he can't hit squat.

I'm not well-versed in what kind of talent is available off waivers so, Sox fans, tell me who we should pick up...And let's be realistic about this, so hopefully I won't be reading any Griffey posts. Borchard might be a good option...

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
With Frank out for the year and Carl nursing his groin back to health, our need for another bat has never been more obvious as it has been in the last two games against the Yankees.  I mean, Timo batting fifth for the best team in baseball against the Yankees?!?!?!?!?  Unacceptable.

Granted, Carl got an AB tonight and I heard that he should be in the line-up tomorrow but it's not enough. When you lose future HOFer Frank Thomas for the year, you gotta make a move...or, at least, a better move than acquiring Geoff Blum.  Blum's glove won the game tonight, but he can't hit squat.

I'm not well-versed in what kind of talent is available off waivers so, Sox fans, tell me who we should pick up...And let's be realistic about this, so hopefully I won't be reading any Griffey posts.  Borchard might be a good option...

Hmm, how bout we try to get Pujols... :bang

I doubt we're gonna get anyone good through the waiver wire that's gonna be better then Carl..except Griffey cause he has the big contract and team aren't gonna want to pick that up. And we being the team with the best record picks last..a good bat with low pay is gonna be snatched up with the teams ahead of us...

Its Griffey or bust

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
If we bring him up he has to stay up cause he's got no more options.

Hey if we can still get something for him in the offseason I say trade him, theres no reason to lose him through waivers. Someone is going to claim him if hes put through waivers. Besides, bringing him up and him doing horribly would reduce his trade value.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
Hey if we can still get something for him in the offseason I say trade him, theres no reason to lose him through waivers. Someone is going to claim him if hes put through waivers. Besides, bringing him up and him doing horribly would reduce his trade value.

His trade value can't get much lower than it has been. Calling him up and Borchard playing well could increase his value....but he's not considered much of a great prospect anymore.

I really think they need to give one of the minor league outfielders a chance, Timo is not cutting it.

Obvious choices are Borchard or Anderson. At this point I would rather see Borchard. It's make or break time for him.

It's crucial we get one or both on the roster before Sep. 1 so if necessary they can be eligible for the playoffs.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
If we bring him up he has to stay up cause he's got no more options.

Not exactly correct. His last option was used when he was sent down after ST. However, that option remains in effect all year and he can be brought up and sent down as much as we want to.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Not exactly correct.  His last option was used when he was sent down after ST.  However, that option remains in effect all year and he can be brought up and sent down as much as we want to.

Here's all I want to ask...

Most everyone here has given up on Joe Borchard. Can anyone here raise their hand and say "I would rather have Timo on this team than a struggling Borchard" and then tell me why?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)

Most everyone here has given up on Joe Borchard.  Can anyone here raise their hand and say "I would rather have Timo on this team than a struggling Borchard" and then tell me why?

Not me. I haven't given up on Borchard yet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)

Most everyone here has given up on Joe Borchard.  Can anyone here raise their hand and say "I would rather have Timo on this team than a struggling Borchard" and then tell me why?

Me. Timo shouldn't ever be starting but I don't care what his stats say the guy has had plenty of big hits in his time here. I wish the best for Borch and I hope he can prove me wrong but I just don't think he's going to succeed in our organization at the major league level.

Borchard could be Shane Spencer-esque...the Sox aren't going to bring him back next year (at least I don't think they will) so it's showtime. And he might just smack 10 homers in the last month and a half. If he could hit .250/10/35 I'd be happy with that production.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Except he can't.  The guy cannot break .200, and he's proven it.

Up until this year Garland had only proven that he was a mediocre pitcher, in way more time in the majors, but that logic. It is way too early to say that Borchard has proven anything in reality.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Up until this year Garland had only proven that he was a mediocre pitcher, in way more time in the majors, but that logic.  It is way too early to say that Borchard has proven anything in reality.

I'm sick of this argument. Garland has at least been decent in his ML career. He was winning 12 games with a mid 4's ERA. Borchard has been garbage in the ML and has been slightly better than garbage in the minors. The guy struggles to hit .250 in AAA, he sucks. But you're just gonna say this is an ignorant statement, so I'll just give up and admit that Borchard will not suck one day.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
I'm sick of this argument.  Garland has at least been decent in his ML career.  He was winning 12 games with a mid 4's ERA.  Borchard has been garbage in the ML and has been slightly better than garbage in the minors.  The guy struggles to hit .250 in AAA, he sucks.  But you're just gonna say this is an ignorant statement, so I'll just give up and admit that Borchard will not suck one day.

I know you are sick of this arguement. Coincidentally, I am sick of people who overreact to things based on a limited sample size. Garland started half a season for the Sox his first year up here and had an era of 6.50 with horrific proiferals. As recently as last year he has an era just short of 5.00, with a WHIP of near 1.50. I guess we should have thrown him under the bus as well.

Right now Borchard has played exactly 93 games at the major league level or just over half a season. Personally I don't think he will ever come near his potential, but to say he has "proven" that he can't hit .200 at the major league level based on 286 ABs is pretty incredible. By that logic this roster alone would look a whole lot different.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
I know you are sick of this arguement.  Coincidentally, I am sick of people who overreact to things based on a limited sample size.  Garland started half a season for the Sox his first year up here and had an era of 6.50 with horrific proiferals.  As recently as last year he has an era just short of 5.00, with a WHIP of near 1.50.  I guess we should have thrown him under the bus as well.

Right now Borchard has played exactly 93 games at the major league level or just over half a season.  Personally I don't think he will ever come near his potential, but to say he has "proven" that he can't hit .200 at the major league level based on 286 ABs is pretty incredible.  By that logic this roster alone would look a whole lot different.

Borchard can't hit .200 at the ML level and he can hardly hit .250 in the minors. Averages don't rise from the minors to the majors. This isn't reactionary, this is fact. The guy was cut from the god damn Mexican league. He is a total and complete bust.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Borchard can't hit .200 at the ML level and he can hardly hit .250 in the minors.  Averages don't rise from the minors to the majors.  This isn't reactionary, this is fact.  The guy was cut from the god damn Mexican league.  He is a total and complete bust.

Amen to that. :notworthy

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
I would rather have Borchard batting 5th at DH while hitting .200 than Timo at DH hitting .200.

At least Borchard gets a homer now and again.

I was about to say exactly the same thing. And at least on occasion, people might not want to pitch to Borchard. Anyone out there who thinks Timo can scare any other pitcher (except maybe Radke)?

If we have 2 guys who are hitting .200, but for 1 guy, 1 out of those 2 hits per 10 at bats leaves the yard, that's not good, but it's better than .200 all on singles.

Trade-wise: We have to face the reality of having the best record in MLB.

Anybody we would want that doesn't cost a whole lot to get is not available to us. That leaves KGJ & Thome the only likely candidates. With KGJ you have to entice the Reds CEO to trade him & then make the best offer amongst contenders. With Thome you just have to make the best offer.

But then again if Thome is worth getting he might just be worth keeping to the Phillies. So we should prepare for the possibility that our ml's may be the only source for new strength in the stick.

If you don't know them already allow me to introduce them to you:

AAA Roosevelt Brown : age 30, 279 ab, 37 rbi, 133 tb, 32 bb, 40 K, .366O, .477S, .294A, 1E

AA Jerry Owens: age 24, 404 ab, 38 rbi, 162 tb, 40 b, 58 k, 31/47 sb, .398O, .401S, .339A, 2E

Owens looks like the proto-typical Ozzie player: fast, good glove, & nice stick. Roosevelt won't give you Owens speed but he looks more ready to make the jump.

Both in my opinion offer the team more than Timo does.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
I was about to say exactly the same thing.  And at least on occasion, people might not want to pitch to Borchard.  Anyone out there who thinks Timo can scare any other pitcher (except maybe Radke)?

If we have 2 guys who are hitting .200, but for 1 guy, 1 out of those 2 hits per 10 at bats leaves the yard, that's not good, but it's better than .200 all on singles.

Borchard might be taken up at some point this season. Not only to showcase him a bit, but I think KW was taking a look at his progress last week. I know it sucks to think about since he pretty much blows. But maybe, just maybe, he can come up and get hot, hit some bombs, and gives us some support until the rosters expand. I dunno.