This is how we have to win

VAfan

You can look at the negative side and say we need to score more than 2 runs a game to beat the Yanks.

Or you can look at the positive side and say we beat the Yanks in a game where we scored only 2 runs.

I say look at the positive side. Without Everett, our offense seems pathetic. But we've won 3 of 5 scoring 2, 4, 3, 2, and 2 runs.

I'd say that's the Sox team that started out the year on fire. Pitching, defense, and just enough O to win the game.

GO SOX!

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
You can look at the negative side and say we need to score more than 2 runs a game to beat the Yanks.

Or you can look at the positive side and say we beat the Yanks in a game where we scored only 2 runs. 

I say look at the positive side.  Without Everett, our offense seems pathetic.  But we've won 3 of 5 scoring 2, 4, 3, 2, and 2 runs. 

I'd say that's the Sox team that started out the year on fire.  Pitching, defense, and just enough O to win the game. 

GO SOX!

We've also won 3 of 5 hitting worse than really is possible...we've been at like a .220 clip in August as a team. That simply won't hold up - like everything statistical in baseball, it all evens out. We'll have a stretch of 8 games where we'll hit .300, and suddenly our team average will be back to .260, which is where it's been all year.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 05:01 AM)

I say look at the positive side.  Without Everett, our offense seems pathetic.  But we've won 3 of 5 scoring 2, 4, 3, 2, and 2 runs. 

I'd say that's the Sox team that started out the year on fire.  Pitching, defense, and just enough O to win the game. 

GO SOX!

What's sad is that Everett is presented as the key to a good offense. I thought he'd have a good year, but so far -- not really.

I'd love to believe that the pitching can just choose to give up 3 runs one game, 2 runs another, just by really trying. But then I'd have to believe they're just being lazy when we lose a 2-1 game. We've had extraordinary pitching this year. But s*** happens against teams like the Red Sox. We need to score runs, more than 2.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:09 AM)
and those performances are from the sox #4 and #5 starters. I'll take it, with the offense bound to step it up a bit

Our #5 and #4 out pitched their #2 and #3, not by much but I thought Hernandez had an easier time then Mussina and the same last evening, again not by much.

If you think we are worried about Hermanson's back what to do think the Yanks are thinking of Johnson's???

Man I would still like to see another LH bat.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
Our #5 and #4 out pitched their #2 and #3, not by much but I thought Hernandez had an easier time then Mussina and the same last evening, again not by much.

If you think we are worried about Hermanson's back what to do think the Yanks are thinking of Johnson's???

Man I would still like to see another LH bat.

If Everett gets going again, put him in the #5 hole, that will definitely bring some balance to the lineup.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
Offenses hit slumps, but thus far the club is still playing a little over .500 ball since the break and I think of it as quite the positive considering the woeful hitting as of late.

Now lets take the rubber game today.

Surprisingly we're 15-10 since the break which is our usual .667 win %.

So, after today, we are 4 of 6 scoring 2, 4, 3, 2, 2, and 2 runs. Our pitching held the powerful Yanks lineup to 3, 1, and 1 runs. El Duque and Contreras showed they may be able to help us a lot in the postseason. Freddie had a dominant game, Cotts and Hermy closed it down, and Uribe and Pods came through in the end to manufacture the winning run. 6 Ks in the game until then, but they became the heros. Plus ARow caught the final out at the CF wall.

We battled in these games and won 2 of 3 in Yankee Stadium against a team that is desperate to get back in the playoff hunt. Outstanding! It's all about the Ws.