GIVE ME HERMANSON!

3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

I just finished watching this game as I had night school and Tivoed it and am sick of this, Hermanson is our closer, no more questions, put him in! I was screaming at the TV at the begining of the 9th, even before the gAyRod HR. I thought Ozzie went by his gut, but he always does those stupid situational matchups. If it's the 9th and you have the lead, f*** the matchups, go to your closer! I didn't agree with Brantley's rant, but at this point, to do anything else is stupid. Especially when you put in Marte to face lefties, when he can't get one out, and if the batter is bad or can't hit left handed pitching, he'll be sure to walk him. Conclusion: quit playing the matchups when you're pitchers aren't suited for those matchups in the first place. Hermanson is the closer, stop disrespecting him.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
I just finished watching this game as I had night school and Tivoed it and am sick of this, Hermanson is our closer, no more questions, put him in! I was screaming at the TV at the begining of the 9th, even before the gAyRod HR. I thought Ozzie went by his gut, but he always does those stupid situational matchups. If it's the 9th and you have the lead, f*** the matchups, go to your closer! I didn't agree with Brantley's rant, but at this point, to do anything else is stupid. Especially when you put in Marte to face lefties, when he can't get one out, and if the batter is bad or can't hit left handed pitching, he'll be sure to walk him. Conclusion: quit playing the matchups when you're pitchers aren't suited for those matchups in the first place. Hermanson is the closer, stop disrespecting him.

^

Well said and I agree. This instinct Bs and over/under using his relievers is pretty bad but a win is a win nonetheless.

Yes, I agree that it was nice to get the win and that's all that counts, nice pitching duel, I just hope Ozzie can get his head straight on this one issue. This would be a great playoff series, except for the idiot NY fans. The funniest thing I read all night was someone comparing the Yankee Stadium music to a Jock Jams CD :lol:

Giving Ozzie the benefit of the doubt, Dustin has had a bad back and maybe it flared up but he was put in as an emergency. We don't have 73 victories as an accident, I say let's stick with em through thick and thin.

According to the Trib:

"Hermanson would have started the ninth if his back had felt fine.

But left-hander Damaso Marte relieved Politte and walked Jason Giambi and Tino Martinez, both left-handed hitters, forcing Guillen to use Hermanson.

After the game, Hermanson sported a thick wrap around his lower back while revealing his back started aching last weekend when he saved three games during a four-day span.

"It's nothing I want to pitch with, but I'll do everything I can to get through this," Hermanson said."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

QUOTE(agame @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
Giving Ozzie the benefit of the doubt, Dustin has had a bad back and maybe it flared up but he was put in as an emergency.  We don't have 73 victories as an accident, I say let's stick with em through thick and thin.

According to the Trib:

But left-hander Damaso Marte relieved Politte and walked Jason Giambi and Tino Martinez, both left-handed hitters, forcing Guillen to use Hermanson.

After the game, Hermanson sported a thick wrap around his lower back while revealing his back started aching last weekend when he saved three games during a four-day span.

"It's nothing I want to pitch with, but I'll do everything I can to get through this," Hermanson said."

I just want to apologize then for acting like an ass while the situation was happening.

With a 1 run lead, I'd have been more annoyed if Politte came out there in the 9th. With a 2 run lead...and a sore Hermanson, I can't say I blame him.

I just wish to God Damaso could throw a strike to a left hander. He's just outside every single time any more.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
With a 1 run lead, I'd have been more annoyed if Politte came out there in the 9th.  With a 2 run lead...and a sore Hermanson, I can't say I blame him.

I just wish to God Damaso could throw a strike to a left hander.  He's just outside every single time any more.

Here is Marte..... strike, strike, ball, ball, ball, ball

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)

QUOTE(agame @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
Giving Ozzie the benefit of the doubt, Dustin has had a bad back and maybe it flared up but he was put in as an emergency.  We don't have 73 victories as an accident, I say let's stick with em through thick and thin.

According to the Trib:

Will we ever come to the realization that maybe Ozzie does know what he's doing, or at least more than the average fan does?

The b****ing and complaining can be a bit too much sometimes.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:46 AM)
Than why not give Jenks a shot?  he at least is not a mental midget like Marte.  He said that he was gonna use him in pressure situations so use him.

If I was in Ozzie's place, there is no way I give a rookie his first big league save opportunity as the visiting team in Yankee Stadium. That's just expecting too much from any kid.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)
If I was in Ozzie's place, there is no way I give a rookie his first big league save opportunity as the visiting team in Yankee Stadium. That's just expecting too much from any kid.

Agreed. If and when the sox clinch the division you'll probably see Bobby get some save opportunities, so he gets some experience doing it in the bigs and to give Dustin's back a break for the playoffs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 04:41 AM)
Agreed.  If and when the sox clinch the division you'll probably see Bobby get some save opportunities, so he gets some experience doing it in the bigs and to give Dustin's back a break for the playoffs.

Let him get a shot at a save in the Twinkie Dome. Twins are done anyway. But not Yankee Stadium.

Let him get a shot at a save in the Twinkie Dome.  Twins are done anyway.  But not Yankee Stadium.

I agree, Ozzie had Jenks in there for the 8th inning Mon. nite vs. their top hitters, that was a good way to get his feet wet.

I had to laugh last nite during the game thread, some of the people on this board are convinced they know more than the manager, the trainer, etc. Then the story comes out about Hermanson's back being cranky. Oops.

It'll be the same story the next time too. Overreact, scream and yell, and THEN find out the truth.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)

He may have to in October as Marte and Politte do not have the make up to close. Although I think there will be an injection of some sort into that back in October.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
I agree, Ozzie had Jenks in there for the 8th inning Mon. nite vs. their top hitters, that was a good way to get his feet wet.

I had to laugh last nite during the game thread, some of the people on this board are convinced they know more than the manager, the trainer, etc.  Then the story comes out about Hermanson's back being cranky.  Oops.

It'll be the same story the next time too.  Overreact, scream and yell, and THEN find out the truth.

Of course we won last night "in spite" of Ozzie. GMAFB.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:32 AM)
Will we ever come to the realization that maybe Ozzie does know what he's doing, or at least more than the average fan does?

The b****ing and complaining can be a bit too much sometimes.

I'd take that a step further, and say that I would bet dollars to donuts that no one on this board understands the game of baseball or this team's intracies as well as Ozzie Guillen does. Its incredible to me to think that people honestly believe that Ozzie wouldn't be trying to win games of this calibur.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
I'd take that a step further, and say that I would bet dollars to donuts that no one on this board understands the game of baseball or this team's intracies as well as Ozzie Guillen does.  Its incredible to me to think that people honestly believe that Ozzie wouldn't be trying to win games of this calibur.

Like I've said before with Marte, yeah he's not pitching great at the moment, and yeah he can't get lefties. But do you know how important a dominant Damaso Marte could be to this team come playoff time (if we do make it, which we should).

You do things for a long - term gain, not only a short - term gain.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
Conclusion: quit playing the matchups when you're pitchers aren't suited for those matchups in the first place. Hermanson is the closer, stop disrespecting him.

Ozzie is the manager of the #1 team in baseball...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
With a 1 run lead, I'd have been more annoyed if Politte came out there in the 9th.  With a 2 run lead...and a sore Hermanson, I can't say I blame him.

I just wish to God Damaso could throw a strike to a left hander.  He's just outside every single time any more.

Is he.. or was the ump just being tight. I Tivo's the game.. and watched that last half inning at least 5 times.. then I woke Jim up, not saying why, and the first thing he said was "hmm.. looks like Marte is getting squeezed a bit there.."

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
Is he.. or was the ump just being tight. I Tivo's the game.. and watched that last half inning at least 5 times.. then I woke Jim up, not saying why, and the first thing he said was "hmm.. looks like Marte is getting squeezed a bit there.."

He got squeezed on a few pitches. The last pitch he threw to Giambi was a strike in my mind, and Hawk b****ed about it. Im not saying that verifies that it was a strike, but Marte wasnt getting the outside corner to lefties at all.