Is it just me?

BigSqwert

For a guy that has completely downplayed this series vs the Yankees Hawk sounded like we had just won game 7 of the ALCS. He could barely speak he was so full of emotion. I don't mind that type of emotion but it seems a bit hypocritical after he's been downplaying the series for the last few days. Would he have reacted the same way if we had preserved a 2-1 win against the Royals? I don't know but I do know, like most of us, that this is a pretty damn big series. Lets face it. The whole nation is now watching our boys. The spotlight is on us and it is nice to see our guys play well.

:gosox1:

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
For a guy that has completely downplayed this series vs the Yankees Hawk sounded like we had just won game 7 of the ALCS.  He could barely speak he was so full of emotion.  I don't mind that type of emotion but it seems a bit hypocritical after he's been downplaying the series for the last few days.  Would he have reacted the same way if we had preserved a 2-1 win against the Royals? I don't know but I do know, like most of us, that this is a pretty damn big series.  Lets face it.  The whole nation is now watching our boys.  The spotlight is on us and it is nice to see our guys play well.

:gosox1:

That's par for the course though isn't it? You have to outwardly act like it's just like any other series when you know inside it's not. And that game sure felt like the playoffs because of the way it unfolded. Moronotti noted it too in his feelgood column today.

Would you rather Hawk just ho-hum the ninth inning and act like it didnt matter?

Take the facts into consideration:

1. The Sox shutout one of the best offenses, at their stadium, for nine innings with their most vilified pitcher on the hill. Not to mention Contreras is a former Yankee

2. The Yankees history of coming back in their own stadium.

3. A possible playoff matchup.

4. The game ended on a screaming linedrive down the line that would have tied the game and put the winning runner in scoring position.

Hawk is a homer, Get over it. Find me an announcer who isnt, and then tell me why it is better that he isnt.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
It was a pretty dramatic win last night....so a little over-excitement happens.  Especially with the game ending on a rocket to Blum.

Agree. And Blum looked pretty happy about it also. Hermy looked like he had just had an accident as well.. :lol:

These guys are fun to watch when they win. Ozzie was on the bench looking like he wa ready to kill someone when Hermy came out.. then literally was grinning from ear to ear when Blum caught that ball. The emotions these guys show is intriguing to watch.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
1.  one of the best offenses, at their stadium

2.  The Yankees history of coming back in their own stadium.

3.  A possible playoff matchup.

For those 3 reasons alone Hawk is being a complete hypocrite for saying this series isn't that big. That was my whole point. We all know it's a big series.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
For those 3 reasons alone Hawk is being a complete hypocrite for saying this series isn't that big.  That was my whole point.  We all know it's a big series.

In the grand scheme of things, this series ISN'T that big. And Hawk is right. But is it great to beat the Yankees? Hell yes! Was I pacing around my living room and throwing things while watching that 9th inning? I sure was. Close games are exciting, even when they don't matter a whole lot. Cut the guy some slack.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm used to Hawk, but if anything, I've noticed him crying about the umps a whole lot more lately.

I think that is because the games mean more now, and everyone is noticing the little things a lot more. Heck I have noticed a whole lot more complaining about little things from everyone here too. If Timo gets into a game there are 8 threads calling for Ozzie's ritual suicide.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
I think that is because the games mean more now, and everyone is noticing the little things a lot more.  Heck I have noticed a whole lot more complaining about little things from everyone here too.  If Timo gets into a game there are 8 threads calling for Ozzie's ritual suicide.

The Timo thing is nothing new.

Omit is a fan favorite.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm used to Hawk, but if anything, I've noticed him crying about the umps a whole lot more lately.
R&F are doing it a ton too, for example on the bunt by Pods. Something in the air.

Sorry Mar.. I mean Sqwert, I think you're making something of nothing here. We know Hawk gets on your nerves. There's an easy solution for that--turn on your am radio and listen to the best in the business while you watch!

4. The game ended on a screaming linedrive down the line that would have tied the game and put the winning runner in scoring position.

That winning run probably would have scored. Blum's glove, and Ozzie putting him in there, saved that game last night.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
honestly.... this isnt even the biggest series in the AL right now. So I dont really think the nation is really paying that much attention.

I thought it was hysterical that with that kid falling out of the UD - which in my opinion is pretty high up there on the "news to report-o-meter", ESPN led with Boston then reported on.. the Yanks. :lol:

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
honestly.... this isnt even the biggest series in the AL right now. So I dont really think the nation is really paying that much attention.
Did any other series in the AL have SCOTT HARPER or THE PUNCH? :chimp