Boston Herald subscriber to post this JUICY piece?

sti3

According to a Cards fan friend, this column suggests that there may have been as many as 58 positive roid tests this season in MLB but Selig is covering it up. Unf the piece is subscriber only. Can someone post PLEASE???

http://sports.bostonherald.com/sportsColum...articleid=97391

One big mess! Baseball rife with word of more positive tests

By Howard Bryant

Recent Columns by Howard Bryant

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - Updated: 01:30 AM EST

Before last week's Red Sox-Royals finale, a Royals player, who shall remain nameless, sat in the Kansas City dugout staring straight ahead squinting against the early afternoon sun. The topic was Rafael Palmeiro, whose 10-game suspension for violating the league's steroid policy...

By Howard Bryant

Before last week's Red Sox-Royals finale, a Royals player, who shall remain nameless, sat in the Kansas City dugout staring straight ahead squinting against the early afternoon sun. The topic was Rafael Palmeiro, whose 10-game suspension for violating the league's steroid policy expires tomorrow.

"Forget Palmeiro," the player said. "Be on the lookout for more. There are more names coming. Trust me."

The television executive whose network is a rights holder of Major League Baseball said last Friday that baseball had the names of as many as a dozen positive steroid tests that it was withholding from the public, unsure in the wake of the Palmeiro disaster exactly how to proceed.

Three days later, before Monday's 11-6 Sox win over Texas, a Red Sox pitcher heard the same thing, which reminded me of the words, "the rumors are always true," a classic line in Robert Altman's 1992 film "The Player."

"We're all hearing the same thing," the player said, noting that leading up to the Palmeiro announcement word had floated for days that "somebody big" was going down. "I heard they had 58 names they weren't releasing. I also heard that at least two were bigger than Palmeiro."

Later that afternoon, a former executive told me he had heard the talk recently, too, but the number is closer to 50 than 58.

Baseball executives say the rumors are not true, that the talk is cheap, more grist for the messy rumor mill. Baseball officials say there is no intrigue.

Yet this is the tale being spun around clubhouses in Major League Baseball, emblematic of the odd and suspicious environment that exists around the game right now.

The season itself is powered by Old Faithful – the wondrous game itself – and the power of baseball alone is preventing the season from turning into one big mess. But internally, teams are angry at the way the steroid process has unfolded.

The Red Sox are livid – less so now because Baltimore has fallen out of the race – that Palmeiro was allowed to play against them in the four-game series before the All-Star break. Imagine the games where Palmeiro demolished the Red Sox affecting the pennant race. Sox officials remain quiet on the subject, however, lest they give the appearance of sour grapes

An Oakland executive not named Beane was frustrated, leaning toward believing the rumors. "If they knew about Palmeiro since May," the executive said, "what's to say they aren't sitting on more names?"

Players now sympathize with Juan Rincon, the Twins pitcher who was suspended for 10 games without appeal. Three months after his suspension, having already forfeited games and salary, Rincon's appeal is now being heard. Players want to know if they are being set up by the league in this political wrestling match to prove it is not soft on drugs. The leak that Palmeiro used the powerful steroid stanozolol, players believe, came from Park Avenue.

Twins officials aren't happy, either, for had Rincon been allowed to play while his appeal was being heard – as was the case with Palmeiro – he might have helped them chalk up a few more wins, something the Twins desperately need as they fade from the playoff race. Rincon has been told if his appeal is upheld he will have his service time reinstated. League officials haven't, however, told him how he will reclaim his name.

They better come out with it or Bud's ass will be made grass by Congress. We deserve to know! Is the 50 all Major League players? That scares me a tad for our teams sake (if I'd pick someone from our team, I'd say Uribe, he's built). I'd like to read the article as well, I heard there are a couple names bigger than Palmeiro on the list

758505_front08102005.jpg

By Howard Bryant

Recent Columns by Howard Bryant

Before last week's Red Sox-Royals finale, a Royals player, who shall remain nameless, sat in the Kansas City dugout staring straight ahead squinting against the early afternoon sun. The topic was Rafael Palmeiro, whose 10-game suspension for violating the league's steroid policy expires tomorrow.

"Forget Palmeiro," the player said. "Be on the lookout for more. There are more names coming. Trust me."

The television executive whose network is a rights holder of Major League Baseball said last Friday that baseball had the names of as many as a dozen positive steroid tests that it was withholding from the public, unsure in the wake of the Palmeiro disaster exactly how to proceed.

Three days later, before Monday's 11-6 Sox win over Texas, a Red Sox pitcher heard the same thing, which reminded me of the words, "the rumors are always true," a classic line in Robert Altman's 1992 film "The Player."

"We're all hearing the same thing," the player said, noting that leading up to the Palmeiro announcement word had floated for days that "somebody big" was going down. "I heard they had 58 names they weren't releasing. I also heard that at least two were bigger than Palmeiro."

Later that afternoon, a former executive told me he had heard the talk recently, too, but the number is closer to 50 than 58.

Baseball executives say the rumors are not true, that the talk is cheap, more grist for the messy rumor mill. Baseball officials say there is no intrigue.

Yet this is the tale being spun around clubhouses in Major League Baseball, emblematic of the odd and suspicious environment that exists around the game right now.

The season itself is powered by Old Faithful – the wondrous game itself – and the power of baseball alone is preventing the season from turning into one big mess. But internally, teams are angry at the way the steroid process has unfolded.

The Red Sox are livid – less so now because Baltimore has fallen out of the race – that Palmeiro was allowed to play against them in the four-game series before the All-Star break. Imagine the games where Palmeiro demolished the Red Sox affecting the pennant race. Sox officials remain quiet on the subject, however, lest they give the appearance of sour grapes.

An Oakland executive not named Beane was frustrated, leaning toward believing the rumors. "If they knew about Palmeiro since May," the executive said, "what's to say they aren't sitting on more names?"

Players now sympathize with Juan Rincon, the Twins pitcher who was suspended for 10 games without appeal. Three months after his suspension, having already forfeited games and salary, Rincon's appeal is now being heard. Players want to know if they are being set up by the league in this political wrestling match to prove it is not soft on drugs. The leak that Palmeiro used the powerful steroid stanozolol, players believe, came from Park Avenue.

Twins officials aren't happy, either, for had Rincon been allowed to play while his appeal was being heard – as was the case with Palmeiro – he might have helped them chalk up a few more wins, something the Twins desperately need as they fade from the playoff race. Rincon has been told if his appeal is upheld he will have his service time reinstated. League officials haven't, however, told him how he will reclaim his name.

Edited by SoxFan1

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_r...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Reports of large numbers of positive tests currently unreported are totally false. Reports of ‘big name’ players having the reporting of their test results delayed are totally false. All drug-testing results are processed in precisely the same manner, and without regard to the identity of any player or to the volume of positives at any given time. These media reports and rumors are totally, and completely inaccurate, and do not deserve further comment."

As hard a AROW works... As much as he's busted his ass for years... I don't think he'd risk all that by trying to use steriods... I would bet my last dollar that he's clean...

Besides you'd think as naturally strong as he is he'd have more then 9 HR's if he was on something...

Now could Steroids make Pods faster... That might be something to look into...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
As hard a AROW works... As much as he's busted his ass for years... I don't think he'd risk all that by trying to use steriods... I would bet my last dollar that he's clean...

Besides you'd think as naturally strong as he is he'd have more then 9 HR's if he was on something...

Aaron is absolutely, positively, 100000% not on steriods.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
You ever hear of libel or slander?
I don't think they apply on message boards. Anyway, I love ARow, but since the topic has been broached, it's certainly possible that he was on the juice. His power numbers are way down while everything else has stayed the same. But if he was on them, I bet he was smart enough to get off as soon as testing started and go natural.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
I don't think they apply on message boards.  Anyway, I love ARow, but since the topic has been broached, it's certainly possible that he was on the juice.  His power numbers are way down while everything else has stayed the same.  But if he was on them, I bet he was smart enough to get off as soon as testing started and go natural.

They absolutely apply to message boards, trust me. People have been sued over stuff like that, and believe me, if Aaron Rowand's attourney wanted this guys IP and personal info, Soxtalk would give it up in a heartbeat. Just because this is a message board doesn't mean you can say things about people without any evidence.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
I'm just saying what I think can be said.  I looked over the post beforehand to see if he did use something like that.

You have to be really careful what you say about a person on the internet. Really it is no different than a newspaper. I have seen websites sued, and personal/IP information supenaed over less than what was just said here. Some people think they are hiding when they post on a message board, but it is no different than publishing a book when it comes to the law. You will be held responsible for what you say, if it is illegal.

It's usually really hard for any sort of public figure to prove Libel...I think that in most cases a baseball player would qualify.

What usually happens on the internet is people don't want to waste any money fighting in court when simply deleting a post or two does the job.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
They absolutely apply to message boards, trust me.  People have been sued over stuff like that, and believe me, if Aaron Rowand's attourney wanted this guys IP and personal info, Soxtalk would give it up in a heartbeat.  Just because this is a message board doesn't mean you can say things about people without any evidence.

A-Row is a public figure in this regard. The person would have to make the statement in a reckless manner knowing it was false. It's extremely hard for a public figure to win tort cases over situations like this.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
A-Row is a public figure in this regard.  The person would have to make the statement in a reckless manner knowing it was false.  It's extremely hard for a public figure to win tort cases over situations like this.

Anyone else remember when Rafael Palmeiro was threatening Canseco with a Libel suit? Wonder why that never went anywhere.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
A-Row is a public figure in this regard.  The person would have to make the statement in a reckless manner knowing it was false.  It's extremely hard for a public figure to win tort cases over situations like this.

True, but a well payed ballplayer could probably financially ruin an average fan by instructing his lawyer to drag it out as long as possible. Attorney fees aren't cheap and the average fan would have to pay to defend the allegation.

Edited by YASNY