Nightengale's Griffey/ Sox update

beck72

Wow Juggs, what an incredible headache I just got from reading 4 novels in a row and still not getting any clear indication of how you think you were right in the whole argument.  Well played

Well you have to understand logic in order to decide which is more plausible. That teams request ML waivers on most of their players during August or that teams only request ML waivers on players they are trying to trade.

What is fact is that if a team revokes a ML waiver request on a player the team can not trade that player for 30 days.

Logic would dictate a team is going to be engaged in trade talk before requesting ML waivers on a player ;)

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reds supposedly agreed to trade Griffey for Young, Rogo and a lower prospect. They were also willing to pick up approx. $15 million of what's left on his contract. Now ask yourself, if you were the Reds, would you rather have Young, Rogo and a lower prospect or $15 million. I think I would rather have the $15 million. I don't think the Reds would mind dumping his contract on another team, in fact, if someone claimed him, I think they would be stupid not to let him go. They have enough outfielders, they aren't going to contend for a while. Griffey can get seriously hurt at any moment, his value is not going to get any higher, and this would free up some money to get some pitching. And as great as Griffey was against the Cubs, the owner can't feel too good about being in 5th place in their division.

You are making a HUGE assumption: that there is a team out there willing to pick up the additional $15M. I don't believe there is. As you have stated his value might be the highest it will be from now until next yr's Sep 1st deadline. So if the owner decides to part with KGJ to free up the $ his best option will be the Chicago White Sox because that is the best $$$ offer on the table.

Failure to do so risks declining trade value in KGJ. If no one other than the White Sox claim him off ML waivers in Aug then no one is going to claim him off SPL waivers in the off-season. Which means the Reds will have to agree to pay more of the contract to move him.

So logically speaking if the Reds owner decides to part with KGJ right now is the best time to maximize his trade value in $$$ & talent by trading him to the White Sox ;)

Hey guys new poster here...Didn't see this article anywhere on here so I wanted to post it...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8829546/

It's CHRISTMAS in August for WHITE SOX fans!

Griffey: "I enjoy being in Chicago. My family comes here a lot. I do have control. The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal."

What changed his mind?

Griffey: "I hadn't heard about any kind of trade. But I did think it odd that the front office told Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Adam Dunn they wouldn't be traded, but nobody said anything to me."

It sounds like he's pissed.

Not to play armchair GM here, but I think a deal surrounding Josh Fields would better suit both clubs.

I mean, would anyone bat an eyelash if Fields was traded instead of Young?

Yes, Young is considered the better prospect at this point--justifiably so--but, do the Reds really need another OF prospect? No. Now, I haven't taken a look at their IF prospects--Encar. is a going to be a star--but, you would have to think they'd at least take a long, hard look at Fields.

If the Sox can manage to grab Ken Freaking Griffey Jr. without deadling Chris Young, Kenny wins GM of the year without question...as if he hasn't already.

For what it's worth, don't put too much stock into those Griffey quotes. Bruce Levine really put him on the spot and asked him loaded questions. What was the guy supposed to say? "No, sorry, I don't like your crummy town."

Naturally, this is all moot. :P

Well, yesterday Bruce said "He is on waivers for anyone who wants to take him.", so that means that either today or tomorrow at the very latest he comes off of waivers. So I guess we will find out in the coming weeks how much of this is conjecture and how much of this is the truth.

Im really hoping this gets done. I really think he will have a dynamic impact on the lineup. And it would give the top of the lineup a left right combo possibly down through the 8th guy in the order

Podsednik

Iguchi

Griffey

Konerko

Pierzinski

Rowand

Everett

Crede

Uribe

Thats pretty impressive.

"I enjoy being in Chicago," Griffey told WMVP-AM 1000 during the Reds' visit to Chicago this week to play the Cubs. "My family comes here a lot. I do have control. The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal."

From the man's mouth. Anyone ready to get their hopes up again only to see this thing not happen?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
"I enjoy being in Chicago," Griffey told WMVP-AM 1000 during the Reds' visit to Chicago this week to play the Cubs. "My family comes here a lot. I do have control. The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal."

From the man's mouth.  Anyone ready to get their hopes up again only to see this thing not happen?

Did he really say that? I thought he told Levine his first choice would be to stay in Cincinatti.

Well, yesterday Bruce said "He is on waivers for anyone who wants to take him.", so that means that either today or tomorrow at the very latest he comes off of waivers.  So I guess we will find out in the coming weeks how much of this is conjecture and how much of this is the truth.

Im really hoping this gets done. I really think he will have a dynamic impact on the lineup. And it would give the top of the lineup a left right combo possibly down through the 8th guy in the order

Podsednik

Iguchi

Griffey

Konerko

Pierzinski

Rowand

Everett

Crede

Uribe

Thats pretty impressive.

Take out Everett and put in dye then thats the right lineup.

pods

guch

jr

pk

dye

ajp

arow

crede

uribe

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Take out Everett and put in dye then thats the right lineup.

pods

guch

jr

pk

dye

ajp

arow

crede

uribe

It was the possibility of a left right combo that far down into the order that i was looking at. I know ozzie doesnt have much but the first 2 guys set in the lineup, and everyone else moves around. I also know Dye would start over Everett, it was just a little speculation.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)

From the man's mouth.  Anyone ready to get their hopes up again only to see this thing not happen?

Bruce asked Griffey about that rumor that Ken wouldn't waive his no-trade clause to come to Chicago and Griffey said that he has nothing against Chicago...ya know? His family likes it here, but, right now I'm a Red. You know that I'm with the Reds right now and we are trying to win some ballgames...yadda, yadda, yadda.

Believe me, this isn't earth-shattering.

This writer was simply stirring the pot for a story. The interview was actually really innocent and brief.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
Did he really say that? I thought he told Levine his first choice would be to stay in Cincinatti.

He said alot of different things in the interview. I heard alot of it in the pre-game yesterday. Alot of different snippets could be construed alot of different ways. Levine did say for sure that "He is on the waiver wire for anyone who wants to get him"

I suppose the next thought in his head was, "Please let the Cubs get him, Please let the Cubs get him...."

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
He said alot of different things in the interview.  I heard alot of it in the pre-game yesterday. Alot of different snippets could be construed alot of different ways. Levine did say for sure that "He is on the waiver wire for anyone who wants to get him"

I suppose the next thought in his head was, "Please let the Cubs get him, Please let the Cubs get him...."

My point exactly.

In fact, if you listen closely enough, you can actually hear Levine preface the interview by saying, "I know your a member of the Reds now, but..."

When he says the thing about the teams needing to make a deal, I think he meant that it's not up to him. Instead of meaning they MUST make a deal (like he wanted the trade to happen), Griffey Jr. meant that it was up to the Reds and Sox to get a trade done, and then propose it to him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
When he says the thing about the teams needing to make a deal, I think he meant that it's not up to him.  Instead of meaning they MUST make a deal (like he wanted the trade to happen), Griffey Jr. meant that it was up to the Reds and Sox to get a trade done, and then propose it to him.

Sort of sounds like he wants to play for the Cubs, but who would want to play for them. I mean dont you want to tplay for a winning team?

Jerry, for heaven's sake, eat the Tucson stadium lease money if you have to and buy a hundred acres in Florida, some bases and chalk, and move the team back for next spring! If KW can land KGJ, the Sox will have more attention then a hooker on parole day - and score more, too!

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

honestly, the Griffey talk seems to be heating up more than cooling down. But how do we get him past the Yankees? They are desperate for an OF, and are a bunch of assholes.

We obviously need some offense, and he would obviously bring it. Junior would be nice, but we have to be able to get the Yankees to f*** off for once, and they won't!