Nightengale's Griffey/ Sox update

beck72

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
honestly, the Griffey talk seems to be heating up more than cooling down.  But how do we get him past the Yankees?  They are desperate for an OF, and are a bunch of assholes.

We obviously need some offense, and he would obviously bring it.  Junior would be nice, but we have to be able to get the Yankees to f*** off for once, and they won't!

Not necessarily true, if anyone is going to claim Jr. it would be the Yanks but I don't think they will.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
Not necessarily true, if anyone is going to claim Jr. it would be the Yanks but I don't think they will.

Your reasoning??? PLEASE??? They have no centerfielder and bottomless pockets, why would they not claim Junior?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:25 AM)
Your reasoning???  PLEASE???  They have no centerfielder and bottomless pockets, why would they not claim Junior?

Even with the amount of money they have, that contract is absolutely insane and I just find it hard to believe they'd take a chance at claiming the whole thing, who knows though I could definitely be wrong.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:38 AM)
Maybe we'll have answers soon. http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep12.html

If true that the Yanks didn't claim him, and some team did, makes sense the sox put a claim in.

It'll be interesting to say the least

That's fantastic news. If the Yankees aren't putting a claim in on him he'll get through.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
That's fantastic news.  If the Yankees aren't putting a claim in on him he'll get through.

But that's just the first step. Getting the Reds owner to change his mind is also a huge hurdle. Though IMO, if everyone on the reds side is in agreement about the trade but the owner [which getting rid of a huge contract and getting a potential star like Young makes very good business and baseball sense] the reds could probably make the owner see how it could benefit the reds in the long and short term

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Right, atleast if he gets through a deal is possible.

You'd think from the Reds side that this may be the best and one of the only times they could trade Griffey. There's no way that the reds have gotten their money back on the Griffey investment. Even Lidner would have to agree

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 04:02 AM)
You'd think from the Reds side that this may be the best and one of the only times they could trade Griffey. There's no way that the reds have gotten their money back on the Griffey investment. Even Lidner would have to agree

No doubt. The thought of Griffey hitting 3rd in our lineup is just to good to be true though, therefore I don't think it'll happen, good reason huh?

I just want to know who the #1 advocate of the "Yankees will not claim Ken Griffey Jr." thinking was?

Hmm I remember one person saying numerous times that Ken Griffey Jr. would clear waivers with ease.

Well actually there were a few people who said this.

No doubt in my mind ever that Griffey would clear waivers.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
I will say this for the last time. IMO Ken Griffey Jr. will NOT be claimed by any team. He will clear waivers, that does not mean he'll come to the Sox, all it means is that the Reds will have full power to trade him to what ever team they wish if they want.

:D :D

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
No doubt.  The thought of Griffey hitting 3rd in our lineup is just to good to be true though, therefore I don't think it'll happen, good reason huh?

The thought of adding a guy like Griffey to the middle of the sox lineup is the stuff of fantasies and fairy tales. Stranger things have happened though

According to a source, New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has said his team would not put in a claim for Griffey if the Cincinnati Reds put him through the waivers process. The Yankees, who are in dire need of a center fielder, are the only playoff-caliber team that would seem to have the financial backing to stand behind a Griffey claim if the Reds decide they are willing to turn over the slugger and his hefty contract.

I think people need to realize how this will impact the Sox not only for the rest of 2005, but the length of the contract. I'm not saying I'm against the move at all, but financially, the Griffey deal is a trainwreck.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)
I think people need to realize how this will impact the Sox not only for the rest of 2005, but the length of the contract. I'm not saying I'm against the move at all, but financially, the Griffey deal is a trainwreck.

The real question is who is reponsible for the deferred money. As the other deal was worked, KGJ's annual salary was doable for the Sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
The real question is who is reponsible for the deferred money.  As the other deal was worked, KGJ's annual salary was doable for the Sox.

Yep, thats the 1 area I really want to see a definitive answer on, because there is a backlog of cash owed to Griffey, and I've heard very little about that part of the situation.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)

If a deal did go through, payroll would increase to fit him in. The sox aren't going to cut payroll [carl and Frank would say their goodbyes though; and I could see Contreras being dealt with BMac replacing him] and cut corners elsewhere in future yrs in order to fit in his contract. Though like every team, they could sell off higher paid players if they are out of the playoff hunt by the deadline in 2006 and beyond.

Also, the sox couldn't make a deal like this unless they also had good minor leaguers [hence cheap and affordable] ready to make an impact in the yrs ahead.

Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas make more then Griffey this year. They both are unsigned next year. Marte is another contract that may be traded.

Win something and they may be brought back. Lose and we get Griffey at 1B/DH next year instead of Konerko.

If Everett's option is for $7M next year, I thought I read this, he is not coming back. Remeber how Contrears and Garcia replaced Ordonez last summer. Well KW definitly thinks ahead on $$$ for the next season.

Also Griffey and Williams have the same first name, a real ice breaker (Seinfeld reference).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:09 AM)
I just want to know who the #1 advocate of the "Yankees will not claim Ken Griffey Jr." thinking was?

Hmm I remember one person saying numerous times that Ken Griffey Jr. would clear waivers with ease.

Well actually there were a few people who said this.

No doubt in my mind ever that Griffey would clear waivers.

I once knew a guy whose arm broke from patting himself on the back too hard.... ;)

The KGJ deal:

$112.5M/9yr (2000-2008) + $4M buyout. 57.5% of that $$$ is deferred until after the 2008 season. At that time the deferred money begins earning 4% & increases significantly from 2010-2024. The final payment is expected to be $16.5M.

He turned down a $135M/8 yr deal from the M's to join the Reds.

Using The Unit as an example of a player owed a LOT of deferred $$$ the Reds are responsible for what the contract paid from 2000-2004. The White Sox would be responsible for what the contract pays in deferred $$$ from 2005-2008, a pro-rated portion of his 2005 cash payment, & the 2006-2008 cash payments.

I believe Griffey's contract was structured so as it was always $6M cash the rest deferred. So the 2005 portion the White Sox would pick up would be about $1.5M cash & $4.4M deferred.

That would make the contract a $23.5M/3 yr + $30M/(08-24). That's where the $49M figure you've heard about comes from. If the original rumor is correct than the Reds were going to pick up $15M of the $23.5M

owed over the next 3 yrs. Dropping the upfront cost for Griffey Jr to $8.5M/3 yr. A steal for almost any club.