Nightengale's Griffey/ Sox update

beck72

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
You have to give up something to get something. Young won't be contributing to this team. Griffey would. Not everyone is the Pittsburgh Pirates. They won't take complete crap in return for a very nice player.

There are players equal to or better than C. Young in terms of in org. rankings that could be traded and people would not mind as much. Brian Anderson is not complete crap, in fact he's a more sure thing than Chris Young is and if Anderson was traded I'm sure there's a lot of people that wouldn't mind as much as seeing Young go.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Could you imagine if this is the first real season the Yankees suffer from depleting their farm system to a steaming pile?

weddingsinger_18.jpg

The Sox are reaping all the benefits.

I think it cost them the World Series last year. They want Freddy Garcia badly but couldn't match the White Sox offer of Olivo/Reed/Morse. If they had gotten Garcia they would have swept the Red Sox.

If the Reds request ML waivers on Griffey Jr 1 of 4 things can happen:

1) A surprise team makes a claim & a trade offer they don't like. They withdraw the request & lose the right to request ML waivers on Griffey Jr again for 30 days.

2) A surprise team makes a claim & a trade offer they can live with & they trade Griffey Jr.

3) An expected team makes a claim & trade offer they like & they trade Griffey Jr.

4) He clears ML waivers. The Reds can then trade him for best offer.

I read the Stark link but I still think it's just his general opinion. Mainly because it's not been backed up by a majority consensus of former or current GM's & to the best of my knowledge Kenny himself as never said anything about it.

So I'm left to decide between Stark's opinion & logic. Logic tells me teams would not risk losing the right to trade most of their players for 30 days at the risk of having to withdraw a request for ML waivers. So if I accept Stark's opinion then there would have to be a logical reason for it. I would have to conclude that prior to requesting ML waivers on a player a team would first do their homework to determine the likelihood of having to withdraw the request. That means talking to the other teams & finding out who will make a claim beforehand. If there's a near certainty that no team will make a claim then it would make sense to request ML waivers on a player just to clear that hurdle for making the player trade eligible.

In the latest report, the newspaper said the two clubs will be revisiting the trade if Lindner changes his mind, and that Griffey might be open to accepting a move there. But if a deal is in the works, it's news to Griffey. He said no one from the Reds' front office has approached him about declining the trade veto that comes with his 10-and-5 status.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin

It is believed that Griffey already has cleared waivers, without being claimed, so the Reds could trade him if they wish, although O'Brien has said he is not interested in trading any of his outfielders.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...813griffey.html

If Levine has been telling the truth then 1 of 3 things has happened by now:

1) KGJ has cleared ML waivers. The Reds are free to resume trade talks with the White Sox & all other teams.

2) A suprise team made a claim & the Reds are not happy with the offer so they have withdrawn their request. KGJ can't be traded before the Sep 1st deadline.

3) A surprise team made a claim & the Reds can live with the offer. KGJ is not coming to the White Sox.

Given the size & scope of this story it goes w/out saying that confidentiality is out the door. By Monday we should know what happened or whether Levine was telling the truth.

FWIW, the Score's George Offman is reporting that Griffey Jr. cleared waivers.

That's very good news. That means no team was willing to risk picking up the remaining value of the contract. The rumor had the White Sox picking up all but $15M.

That was the best offer prior to the deadline. It's doubtful that another team will best it now. Which means the White Sox are essentially bidding against themselves to entice the Reds owner to trade him.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
That's very good news. That means no team was willing to risk picking up the remaining value of the contract.  The rumor had the White Sox picking up all but $15M.

That was the best offer prior to the deadline.  It's doubtful that another team will best it now.  Which means the White Sox are essentially bidding against themselves to entice the Reds owner to trade him.

This is the most exciting thing. I think KW should pull out all the stops. Throw in Willie Harris and Borchard. :cheers

QUOTE(tpezz27 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Couldn't the trade go like this....White Sox get Griffey + Cash....Reds get future considerations......Then the Reds can get Young and Rogowski if thats who they really wanted without having to worry about them clearing waivers!

I think those guys aren't on the 40 man so they don't have to clear...

is that right guys??

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
FWIW, the Score's George Offman is reporting that Griffey Jr. cleared waivers.

At three o'clock the update guy said that George Offman is saying it's likely that Griffey Jr. cleared waivers. So Offman may just be talking out of his ass again, no matter how much we want to believe otherwise.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
At three o'clock the update guy said that George Offman is saying it's likely that Griffey Jr. cleared waivers. So Offman may just be talking out of his ass again, no matter how much we want to believe otherwise.

Thanks for the update. I dont think we will get Griffey though. Unless Everett gets seriously injured or anyone else for that matter, I dont think KW will mess with this team.

I don't write the checks, but I really think the Sox should go for it with Griffey. Even if he spends the next 3 years on the DL, if he brings a World Series championship, it would be worth it. It would be the opposite of the white flag. It would be like saying "See fans! Win or Die Trying! We mean business." That is good PR. Griffey brings a lot of good PR.

I make the deal even if the Sox have to eat more of that salary to get the Reds to bite. I know teams put most of their players on waivers to see who's interested. Why would the Reds care who is interested unless they planned on moving him? I have a gut feeling that they are having second thoughts and may be open to dealing him now. It's up to KW to intice them into making the move.

Getting Griffey would also spark the team. Not only due to his added bat, but also because of the implication that the ownership believes that this IS the year to win it all. He adds swagger.

My hopes are officially sky high. :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox2:

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Because Chris Young is a superstar, or going to be a superstar Right? Just like Borchard or Crede. Right?  Chris young could get hit by a car tommorrow. THe Sox should not pass up an opportunity to get an elite player while they are positioned for the post season. This guy will put us over the top and the lineup will scare opponents in the playoffs a hell of alot more than it does today. we need left handed bats against the Angels, Redsox and Yankees. Expecially the Angels, I don't think they have a left hander worth a damn in the bullpen. Make the trade now. Please

The Borchard - to - Young comparison is absolutely terrible. Fine, you don't think minor leaguers are worth it. That's Ok, but don't make baseless comparisons.

It's a good question. What are the rules governing PTBNL trades? I think the worst case scenario would be 3 days. The White Sox & Reds could complete this trade just under the Sep 1st deadline so they wouldn't have to bother clearing the ml'ers. It could be Griffey + cash for 3 PTBNL's.

Can a deal with the reds be structured so that the reds pay differing amounts depending on Griffey's health? For example, if Griffey plays all year without DL Sox pay all of his contract. If he spends > 1 month on the DL, Reds pay 2 million of that year's salary. If he spends > 50% of the year on the DL, Reds pay 4 million.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
OK let's hear it folks.  What odds would you lay that the Sox get him.  For or against the trade, what do you think?

I say the odds are 60-40 the KW lands him.

SFF

Odds 1-100000. Not good at all IMHO. I'm all for the trade though. I want it to happen, but I know I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.