Nightengale's Griffey/ Sox update

beck72

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Still healthier than Junior. And assuming Giants still plan on picking a few mill of his '06 salary, much less of a (financial) risk going forward. Did I mention you won't have to give up MaCarthy or Young for him, either? I think I dided.

With Podsednik's OBP/confidence in the dumpster, Ray-Ray is an ideal choice either as a lead-off guy, or if Pods comes back better than ever, as a #2, with Gooch letting loose in the 3-hole.

What are we going to do about LF with Pods injured?

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Given that "Scottie" is only average defensively, I think we'll manage.

With every post, I continue to disagree w/you more. Do you really want to put Everett into the outfield? Not only is he below average in the field, it's also a big injury risk. Everett can't run at all right now.

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
Screw Griffey.   Just another bopper who will get owned in the playoffs, Eric Chavez-style.   His contract and injury history as well as what it'll take to get him don't quite blow my mind, either.

We need OBP.  Lots of it.   Whether Rickey Henderson, Ray Durham, Mother Goose, I don't care.

Griffey Jr.

Average .279

OBP .353

Slugging .532

Durham

Average .300

OBP .372

Slugging .431

I am sorry, but I completely disagree with you about our needs and what you think Griffey is. He does bring a pretty good OBP to the table as well as being a slugger. He is a left handed power bat that this team and lineup has needed for years and has been unable to fill. Those numbers above clearly prove that you have no idea what you are talking about and Ray Durham is definitely not what this club needs. His defense, if you take away going back on pop-ups (WHOOPEE!), has always been horrible as well. We are currently built around our pitching and defense. He is definitely not what this team needs and I don't think you have any idea about what you are talking about. You need to ask Pat Sajak if you can buy a clue and f*** the god damn vowels.

Plus Durham's injuy history since he has left the Sox has been as bad if not worse than Griffey Jr's. Durham has played in only 70 more games than Junior has since 2003. Nothing to brag about there.

Edited by southsideirish

Griffey Jr.

Average .279

OBP .353

Slugging .532

Durham

Average .300

OBP .372

Slugging .431 

I am sorry, but I completely disagree with you about our needs and what you think Griffey is. He does bring a pretty good OBP to the table as well as being a slugger. He is a left handed power bat that this team and lineup has needed for years and has been unable to fill. Those numbers above clearly prove that you have no idea what you are talking about and Ray Durham is definitely not what this club needs. His defense, if you take away going back on pop-ups (WHOOPEE!), has always been horrible as well. We are currently built around our pitching and defense. He is definitely not what this team needs and I don't think you have any idea about what you are talking about. You need to ask Pat Sajak if you can buy a clue and f*** the god damn vowels.

Plus Durham's injuy history since he has left the Sox has been as bad if not worse than Griffey Jr's. Durham has played in only 70 more games than Junior has since 2003. Nothing to brag about there.

Durham is a DH/LF at this point, not a 2B. That's one.

The current incarnation of Griffey will get owned by quality pitching, I guarantee you that. We have enough of those in the line-up as it is. Ray will get on base and he can still score on a double, regardless of the situation or who's on the mound. That's two.

SF can't rid of Durham fast enough, will pick up some money, so he will come cheap for what he brings to the table, still. Griffey's price, in money and in talent Cincy ownership will be satisfied with, is prohibitive. That's three-through-40 Mill.

I know people hear 'Griffey' and the panty-creaming commences. Weigh all the pros and cons, and you'll see why he's not the panacea.

Edited by '94WorldChamps

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
Durham is a DH/LF at this point, not a 2B.  That's one.

The current incarnation of Griffey will get owned by quality pitching, I guarantee you that. We have enough of those in the line-up as it is. Ray will get on base and he can still score on a double, regardless of the situation or who's on the mound.  That's two.

SF can't rid of Durham fast enough and he will come cheap for what he brings to the table, still.    Griffey's price, in money and in talent Cincy ownership will be satisfied with, is prohibitive.    That's 3-through-40 Mill.

Stop yourself now! Durham hasn't played one game in the outfield this season, and has one AB as an outfielder in his career. The thought of putting Durham in LF is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
DH/LF merely means he's a DH/emergency LF.

We have our DH in Everett. I don't see how Durham can even be considered an emergency LF. If KW acquires/calls-up another hitter, they need to be able to play in the outfield.

QUOTE('94WorldChamps @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
Durham is a DH/LF at this point, not a 2B.  That's one.

The current incarnation of Griffey will get owned by quality pitching, I guarantee you that. We have enough of those in the line-up as it is. Ray will get on base and he can still score on a double, regardless of the situation or who's on the mound.  That's two.

SF can't rid of Durham fast enough, will pick up some money, so he will come cheap for what he brings to the table, still.    Griffey's price, in money and in talent Cincy ownership will be satisfied with, is prohibitive.    That's three-through-40 Mill.

I know people hear 'Griffey' and the panty-creaming commences. Weigh all the pros and cons, and you'll see why he's not the panacea.

I just showed you comparisons of Durham's and Griffey's stats THIS YEAR and they play in the exact same league with Griffey playing in a much better pitching division than Durham does. There is a reason that the Giants want to rid themselves of Durham's contract and it has more to do with his play or lack there of than it does with his contract.

By the way I believe Griffey Jr. could score on a double as well. Why is that even part of the argument?

On a team that needs a leadoff man or a #2 hitter I can possibly see your point about Durham, however we have 2 very capable hitters in the #1 and #2 spots. We need and have needed a left-handed power hitter for quite some time now. Griffey Jr. fills that need, not Ray Durham. Durham is not the remedy that this team needs, it is a Griffey Jr type player that can make this offense very scary.

Where would you even bat Ray Durham?