Nightengale's Griffey/ Sox update

beck72

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
According to a good friend of mine...who happens to be a die-hard Cards fan, says the Cards are interested in him because of their injuries to Sanders and Walker.

Would the Reds want Griffey going to the Cardinals for 3 seasons???

I wouldn't think so....but if they get the right deal in their mind..feel free.

So what the hell does this mean?

Did he clear waviers, or is he in the process of going though waviers?

If he clears, thats a big if because of the Yanks, and Cards, do you think KW will get him (wow thats a stupid question, cuz we all know he will)

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
So what the hell does this mean?

Did he clear waviers, or is he in the process of going though waviers?

If he clears, thats a big if because of the Yanks, and Cards, do you think KW will get him (wow thats a stupid question, cuz we all know he will)

According to Bruce Levine on Chicago Tribune Live today, he was in the process of going through waivers(at least that's how I intrepreted it). He said, "Griffey has been put on the waiver wire."

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
That's what I said. Let's hope the Yankees feel the season is pretty much lost with Steinbrenner ripping Torre, Sox taking 2 of 3 from them and Pavano out for another 6 weeks. That's the only real competition I see for getting Griffey.

Please god let this happen. Please, please please.

Should be interesting, if he clears I imagine he will be on the Sox

I would guess the Red Sox might not claim him because without working a trade out where Reds would take some money that would hurt their chances of signing Damon in the offseason.

I think they can tell the Reds they are going to claim him, have the Reds pull him off waivers and work out a better trade with the Red Sox...

Seems like this is actually getting interesting

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 05:50 AM)
Something tells me this may be the ONLY place where it seems like its getting interesting.

After reviewing everything that's been said recently, I think there's a better chance of this trade happening than I did right after the initial rumor broke about a week ago. Griffey Jr. isn't completely ruling out the trade, which is definitely a chance in his mind since last week. Also, the Sox offense hasn't exactly been stellar since KW was initially in trade talks with the Reds. Put it this way: I have a feeling either Griffey Jr. or D. Young will be in the starting lineup on Tuesday against the Twins for the White Sox next week.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
Keep in mind that at best, Griffey coming to the Sox is a longshot.  Griffey can turn it down.  The Reds owner can turn it down. Any other team in baseball can prevent it from happening.

OK, so what happens if a team claims him and then cannot work out a deal?

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
OK, so what happens if a team claims him and then cannot work out a deal?

I think, and I may be 100% wrong because the waiver rules read like stereo instructions, that if a team claims him and the Reds don't pull him back the team is 100% on the hook for the whole contract and they get him with no trade involved.

If Reds pull him back they can either work out a deal or keep him.

Which I think is why a team can't just block him from clearing waivers unless they have a clear understanding with the Reds that a deal would be worked out.

The dream scenario for the Reds IMO would be a team like the Angels or Red Sox freak out that he is going to the White Sox and claim him without talking to the Reds. Then I think the Reds can just laugh and get the contract off their books completely.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
I think, and I may be 100% wrong because the waiver rules read like stereo instructions, that if a team claims him and the Reds don't pull him back the team is 100% on the hook for the whole contract and they get him with no trade involved.

If a team claims Griffey then the Reds have 3 choices either negotiate a trade with that team, give them Griffey (the recieving team would have to pay his entire contract) or pull him off waivers. If they do pull him off waivers then he can not be traded or put back on waivers for the rest of the season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
Keep in mind that at best, Griffey coming to the Sox is a longshot.  Griffey can turn it down.  The Reds owner can turn it down. Any other team in baseball can prevent it from happening.

Well...kind of. Basically it'll come down to if the Yankees claim him, if he gets passed the Yankees then he'll clear waivers and the teams can no longer block the sox from getting him.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 07:05 AM)

Which I think is why a team can't just block him from clearing waivers unless they have a clear understanding with the Reds that a deal would be worked out.

That's my belief as well. Any team putting a claim on him could be liable for the full contract. Few NL teams would do that, w/ his injury history. The cards were mentioned. But they have Edmonds in CF and Pujols for 1b.

Only an AL team could take on Griffey's contract, where he can at least DH to save his legs

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
If a team claims Griffey then the Reds have 3 choices either negotiate a trade with that team, give them Griffey (the recieving team would have to pay his entire contract) or pull him off waivers. If they do pull him off waivers then he can not be traded or put back on waivers for the rest of the season.

I believe that they can put him back on waivers after 30 days.

Griffey should be looking to an AL team to finish his career as a DH. But most athletes, especially someone as gifted as him, think they can play forever.

I have mixed feelings. I do not see Griffey and Frank sitting next to each other. I believe Griffey = no Frank. Sentiment over performance. The team will not keep both. Not enough spots in the lineup unless JR can convince the owners to allow a DH for the thrid baseman

It certainly appears as if the rumor that KW had a deal for Griffey in place before the deadline was true. It's really too bad it didn't happen, because offense is definitely hard to come by these days. In the last nine games the Sox only scored as many as 5 runs in one game. Their record could be even more dominating.

I also think Hawk knows more about what's going on than most, and he keeps saying after Rowand makes another spectacular catch, "Where would he play", I think knowing that Griffey coming here isn't happening. Word of advice to Hawk, don't ask where Griffey would play during games where Timo Perez is your DH batting fifth.

Edited by Dick Allen