Major Props to The Duke, The Count, and Big Fred

JDsDirtySox

I am so proud of the way our "back three" pitched in this series against the Yankees. The two former Yankees battled, and did a great job, but I think Freddy Garcia again proved how awesome he is in big games (and day games). I know alot of people around baseball caught a glimpse of this series, and were able to see how any of our five starters can be counted.

Great Defense.

Great Pitching.

:headbang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Freddie was HUGE today.  Where in the hell did the Yankees dig up Small?  Wow, he was tough ... 4 to 5 innings of nothing but K's and pop ups.

How can we differentiate between a great, tough pitching OR a terrible, lame hitting?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
We've been getting shut down by a lot of guys of late.  Point taken though.

He's been effective in his other starts, so it's just not our bats. He's beat Texas, Toronto and, I believe, Baltimore.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
He's been effective in his other starts, so it's just not our bats.  He's beat Texas, Toronto and, I believe, Baltimore.

I know. That's why I said "point taken."

I was just pointing out that we haven't exactly been an offensive juggernaut the last couple weeks.

We need these three to imagine they are playing the Yankees every time they pitch. They were all just on the top of their game.

I believe they all can pitch like that every start, if they're set right mentally. They were focused and determined and that's the same attitude they need to have when playing Cleveland, Detroit or whoever.

Bullpen was dominating as usual.

:gosox3: :gosox1:

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
14 runs in the last 5 games and we win 4.  Thats what I call living on the pitching and defense.  I think our offense is running low on life support but with Everett back its gotten reinforced.

Our offense is completely on life support right now...before today we were hitting a paltry .231 in August (although that's still better than the Twins and Seattle).

The fact is that we're not going to be this bad of a hitting team all year. We are a .260 club, plus or minus about 3 points. In other words, at some point, we're going to have a stretch where we hit .285-.290 for 7-8 games in order to make up for this stretch.