Ozzie's "homosexual" remark

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(Shrunken Slugger @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 04:33 AM)
I thought it was an odd article. The comments weren't going to offend anyone until they were published.

That's not true - it could have easily offended anyone standing there, as any normal sensitive person should be reading it. It was the wrong connection to make - gays and molesters - and was not funny at all, even in jest. We live in a heterosexist society anyway - and are continually reminded how imperfect this world is, but anytime you think things are getting better, reality just slaps you in the face. It's sad. Ozzie's excuse of growing up in Venezuela, which is immersed in the sexist Latin culture (as is ours, but more so), is just that, an excuse. I love Ozzie, but I'm disappointed in him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
That's not true - it could have easily offended anyone standing there, as any normal sensitive person should be reading it.  It was the wrong connection to make - gays and molesters - and was not funny at all, even in jest.  We live in a heterosexist society anyway - and are continually reminded how imperfect this world is, but anytime you think things are getting better, reality just slaps you in the face.  It's sad.  Ozzie's excuse of growing up in Venezuela, which is immersed in the sexist Latin culture (as is ours, but more so), is just that, an excuse.  I love Ozzie, but I'm disappointed in him.

I didn't read is as an excuse, just an explanation.

For everyone like this writer who is on their high horse over this, I wonder if they always take that same stance. You know, like when it's just a group of white guys standing around and someone makes that racial crack. I'm sure Morissey puts his foot down and doesn't just go along with it and laugh.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
I don't get how a homosexual would be offended, the word is now a forbidden fruit? You have to be one to use it? Teens and friends in general use these terms with no thought of the gay community. Morrisey would understand if he had friends

It's wrong because someone used it as a "diss", as someone above called it, even though it was in a playful way. Why is it a diss? You wouldn't try to diss your friends by saying "that is so straight" as if being one way is "right" and being another way is "wrong." Language isn't just there - there's meaning behind it, and we should realize it before we use it. Most boys growing up hate to be told they "throw like a girl," because being equated with women is a no-no in this sexist manly society. It's bulls***.

Though I am not backing Ozzie's comments I do think the article had no business being in the SPORTS section, let alone on the front page. The article itself had no implications of sports involved. It only was about a negative response to a quote from Guillen. There are other sections of the newspaper this could have been published. Anyways, thats just how I feel.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
I don't get how a homosexual would be offended, the word is now a forbidden fruit? You have to be one to use it? Teens and friends in general use these terms with no thought of the gay community. Morrisey would understand if he had friends

It's the equating of homosexuals as being child molesters that is most ignotant and alarming... aside from the fact that Ozzie can't figure out that those are not the kind of cracks to make in a dugout full of reporters. :headshake

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
It's the equating of homosexuals as being child molesters that is most ignotant and alarming... aside from the fact that Ozzie can't figure out that those are not the kind of cracks to make in a dugout full of reporters.  :headshake

Why does everyone say that he's equating the two? He threw two different insults at the guy. The way I read it he called him one name and then the other...not "homosexual and a child molester" or "homosexual child molester" but "he's a homosexual! he's a child molester!"

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
It's wrong because someone used it as a "diss", as someone above called it, even though it was in a playful way.  Why is it a diss?  You wouldn't try to diss your friends by saying "that is so straight" as if being one way is "right" and being another way is "wrong."  Language isn't just there - there's meaning behind it, and we should realize it before we use it.  Most boys growing up hate to be told they "throw like a girl," because being equated with women is a no-no in this sexist manly society.  It's bulls***.

You write like a girl.

This is how I see it: I call my close friends gay as a joke. We think it's funny because it's not true and absurd, not because we're homophobic. My wife has a gay friend, sometimes I'll ask him about his girlfriend or if he's gotten any 'cat' lately. Why? Because of course he hasn't, he's gay, it's absurd that he'd be with a woman. He'll fire the same thing back to me in reverse, and we laugh. Now if someone happens to walk by and hears it and they get offended by that, I should feel bad? :huh

I understand that Ozzie said it in a different situation and in front of the press, but he was in the clubhouse and his boy came in to say hello. The press was on HIS turf.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Why does everyone say that he's equating the two? He threw two different insults at the guy. The way I read it he called him one name and then the other...not "homosexual and a child molester" or "homosexual child molester" but "he's a homosexual! he's a child molester!"

This is exactly how I interpreted his comments.

I wish I could say "who f***ing cares," but I knew some people were bound to be offended. As this thread has illustrated. Realize who uttered the comments and move on. No need to let this non-story interfer with our successful season.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Great. Watching Around The Horn I notice a topic entitled "OZZIE."

HERE COMES THE WHINING!!!

Morrissey can be thanked for printing this topic, which only serves to distract the public from our series victory against the Yankees.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Great. Watching Around The Horn I notice a topic entitled "OZZIE."

HERE COMES THE WHINING!!!

Morrissey can be thanked for printing this topic, which only serves to distract the public from our series victory against the Yankees.

When people in Ozzie's position say stupid s*** like that, it's going to get printed no matter what. Thank Ozzie for making the comments and subsequently taking the attention off his team.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)

agree 100%.

I had wrote a whole post pretty much stating this same thing earlier, but got busy here at work and wasn't finished with it, so I cancelled it and never wrote it again.

:notworthy

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
When people in Ozzie's position say stupid s*** like that, it's going to get printed no matter what. Thank Ozzie for making the comments and subsequently taking the attention off his team.

And you believe this is the first occasion he's spoken on these terms? Don't be naive, Fickel. I doubt this is the FIRST time he's uttered offensive material infront of a large media crowd.

Someone, with a possible agenda, decided to print this information in the midst of Kreuger's firing knowing it'd receive immediate attention.

MOVE ON EVERYONE.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
And you believe this is the first occasion he's spoken on these terms? Don't be naive, Fickel. I doubt this is the FIRST time he's uttered offensive material infront of a large media crowd.

Someone, with a possible agenda, decided to print this information in the midst of Kreuger's firing knowing it'd receive immediate attention.

MOVE ON EVERYONE.

newsday is owned by the tribune. i wish there is something that we could do to get even with the tribsters. this is sick and ridulous. i had the last email and silvy and carmen today and they couldnt agree more that the cubune's agenda against the sox is old and week.

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
newsday is owned by the tribune. i wish there is something that we could do to get even with the tribsters. this is sick and ridulous. i had the last email and silvy and carmen today and they couldnt agree more that the cubune's agenda against the sox is old and week.

This story reaches beyond Ozzie blabbering on sensitive subjects.

If it weren't the Tribune reporting Guillen's quotes FOLLOWING a series victory of the White Sox and FOLLOWING the story of San Francisco's radio personality I'd be more willing to criticize Guillen.

Just ask yourselves why were those two publications the only two to print his comments.

I just question the timing and motivation behind publishing this article. IMO, it's made exclusively to bash our organization-- and, as expected, has already garnered attention.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
This story reaches beyond Ozzie blabbering on sensitive subjects.

If it weren't the Tribune reporting Guillen's quotes FOLLOWING a series victory of the White Sox and FOLLOWING the story of San Francisco's radio personality I'd be more willing to criticize Guillen.

Just ask yourselves why were those two publications the only two to publish his comments?

I just question the timing and motivation behind publishing this article. IMO, it's made exclusively to bash our organization-- and, as expected, has already garnered attention.

totally agree. its coming up on pti btw. also what do u think we can do, if anything

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)

MOVE ON EVERYONE.

Nor is Ozzie the first person in a clubhouse to do it.

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
totally agree. its coming up on pti btw. also what do u think we can do, if anything

Nothing.

I'd rather we let this thread die and ignore this topic, but since people are apparently missing the suspicious motives and timing behind these quotes it will continue.

If this episode teaches him anything it's to remain reserved around the media. No more fun loving, joking Ozzie around Tribune media hounds. He may offend someone!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
Nothing.

I'd rather we let this thread die and ignore this topic, but since people are apparently missing the suspicious motives and timing behind these quotes it will continue.

If this episode teaches him anything it's to remain reserved around the media. No more fun loving, joking Ozzie around Tribune media hounds. He may offend someone!

i would love to expose the tribune somehow someway on this and ruin all there credebility they have in every market in any type of news they cover

How worthless of a writer do you have to be to print something that had nothing to with the game, nothing to do with you, and was basically said out of jest. You are a bush league no talent assclown. These are the types of stool pigeons that get bullied as kids because they dont know when to keep their nerdy ass mouth shut. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
i would love to expose the tribune somehow someway on this and ruin all there credebility they have in every market in any type of news they cover

The situation itself should ruin their credibility. 30 media persons in the dugout with Guilllen, yet only two--both, oddly enough, owned by the Chicago Tribune, decide to print his quotes.

No one else finds this odd?

Oh yeah, some will argue "his comments were insentive regardless of being printed or not!" Unfortunately, I don't believe Ozzie will shut his mouth or become polictically correct to appease a few whiners. Around the media, however, he'll just have to.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
The situation itself should ruin their credibility. 30 media persons in the dugout with Guilllen, yet only two--both, oddly enough, owned by the Chicago Tribune, decide to print his quotes.

No one else finds this odd?

Oh yeah, some will argue "his comments were insentive regardless of being printed or not!" Unfortunately, I don't believe Ozzie will shut his mouth or become polictically correct to appease a few whiners.

Friends talk to other friends like this all the time. This has to be one of the worst articles ever written.