Neal Cotts

SpringfieldFan

Folks, yesterday's game was a signature game for Neal. It showed to me he has come full circle since he joined the bigs in 2003:

In 2003, the last game of the August series at Yankee stadium was the game Manuel started him instead of MB, and he recorded just one out, giving up four runs on three hits and five walks.

Yesterday, in 2005's last game of the August series at Yankee stadium, he comes in late with nerves of steel to shut down the Yankees and get the W. I think it is just one more exclamation point on this amazing season.

:notworthy Neal Cotts!

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Neal Cotts is another great example of a guy who got thrown under the bus by many here, after basically no time at the major league level.

I am so glad to see the blessing of Soxtalk carryover to another guy, and to see Neal kickass out of the pen for the Sox.

That throwing under the bus happens WAY too often here.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
We're a patient group, aren't we?  Neal's been nothing short of magnificent this year and I don't think he's done improving.

I think you'll see Neal will be a starter or closer before he's done. He's got what it takes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Neal Cotts is another great example of a guy who got thrown under the bus by many here, after basically no time at the major league level.

I am so glad to see the blessing of Soxtalk carryover to another guy, and to see Neal kickass out of the pen for the Sox.

Oh yeah we remember those threads now don't we. Remember he had no control, he walks too many hitters, his ERA is too high, he should be in Charlotte starting, Kevin Walker has more potential than him, were some of the doozies to name a few.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
I think you'll see Neal will be a starter or closer before he's done.  He's got what it takes.

Agreed 100 percent. As you guys know Neal is one of the guys I've been real high on since I saw him pitch his first game.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Oh yeah we remember those threads now don't we. Remember he had no control, he walks too many hitters, his ERA is too high, he should be in Charlotte starting, Kevin Walker has more potential than him, were some of the doozies to name a few.

LOL, I was one of the Kevin Walker supporters I'll admit that. Key word there is WAS.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
Agreed 100 percent.  As you guys know Neal is one of the guys I've been real high on since I saw him pitch his first game.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not he actually gets the chance to be in our rotation in the future, especially if he keeps excelling as a set-up man.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Heres an interesting topic for discussion...

Do you think he will ever start again?

Personally I think he will stay in the bullpen for the rest of his career.... But I was wondering what opinion you guys had on it?

I think he will be given the opportunity to start again, but i believe that he will be better off being in the pen for the rest of his career.

Alot of people were throwing him under the bus because he only had two pitches. Now he has added another to his quiver and is dominating hitters. His arm angle, his location on the mound and his abilty to throw for more heat are what have made him what he is today.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Alot of people were throwing him under the bus because he only had two pitches.  Now he has added another to his quiver and is dominating hitters.  His arm angle, his location on the mound and his abilty to throw for more heat are what have made him what he is today.

Which is common for a young pitcher until he learns how to master those 3rd and 4th pitches.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Which is common for a young pitcher until he learns how to master those 3rd and 4th pitches.

And to be honest, as a reliever because of how good his fastball is he doesn't need to much more then his fastball and a show me breaking ball.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)

Personally I think he will stay in the bullpen for the rest of his career.... But I was wondering what opinion you guys had on it?

I raised this question in a thread a few weeks back. Of course, he was originally put in the pen to get seasoned to be a future starter. It was great to hear him say he was happy with his role now, but I wondered "what if he hadn't been?". It would seem a catch-22: relieving well made him too valuable to start but relieving poorly would have made it too risky to start him. I posed the question of what he would have needed to do to earn a starting role back but got no answer :huh

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

I dont think he would be as good as a starter right now. He is 24 years old and is just now figuring out his arm angle, his approach etc. To take him out of that role may damage his progress. With a few more years under his belt and perhaps another pitch, he may make a decent back of the rotation guy, but at this point, he is much more valuable as a lefty set up guy.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)

I think he'd be foolish to try to start again unless some team forced him to.

Lefty starters are nice to have, yes, but think about what you see in almost every game. How many teams are there out there with 2 out of 3 hitters who bat lefty somewhere in their lineup?

Every single team out there needs at least 1 quality left handed reliever...probably 2 if they genuinely want to compete. And especially after watching the Yankees and Red Sox this year...the price for quality relief pitching is about to go way up.