hypothetical question

Greg Hibbard

If the Tribe and A's are within a game in the wildcard going into the last series, would you endorse the Sox laying down and giving Cleveland the series to keep Oakland out of the playoffs?

I don't mean that the Sox give the Tribe the games by throwing them...but say every starter is rested and the "C" squad of september callups playing against the Tribe for the whole last series.

I know I don't want to see Oakland in the playoffs with as hot as they've been....I'm sure the team and the manager feels the same way. Is it unethical to do something like this?

It's a problem that's likely to come up. We play the Tribe 6 times in the last 12 days of the year and it's very likely that the Sox will have clinched by then. Those six games will go a long way to determining who is in and who is out of the playoffs....

Ok, let me add a little more then just No. You don't lay down ever, that's just ridiculous and sends the message that you're scared. Would I prefer to play a different team in the playoffs? Sure I would, but the playoffs are a different game and I'd have confidence in our guys to beat Oakland. It's not like they wouldn't have a mental hurdle to overcome either, if this was the first round matchup from our side we'd be hearing how the A's own us and from their side they'd be hearing how they can't get out of the first round.

What is wrong with resting starters the last two days to get them ready for the playoffs if there is literally nothing to play for? The same thing in the NFL came up last season with the final game of the year affecting whether certain teams went to the playoffs...and some in the WC hunt were playing teams who had wrapped up home field throughout and were resting starters.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
What is wrong with resting starters the last two days to get them ready for the playoffs if  there is literally nothing to play for? The same thing in the NFL came up last season with the final game of the year affecting whether certain teams went to the playoffs...and some in the WC hunt were playing teams who had wrapped up home field throughout and were resting starters.

Well..maybe I should have read your whole post before I responded. You can definitely rest a few guys to get ready for the playoffs but that's different from just laying down and losing the game.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
Well..maybe I should have read your whole post before I responded.  You can definitely rest a few guys to get ready for the playoffs but that's different from just laying down and losing the game.

Yeah, but the point is that the perception is gonna be that the Sox are giving the games to the Tribe because they don't want to face Oakland...who knows, the A's could take over the division lead for good and this could be moot.

I guess my point is that the Sox might have an effect on who they face in the playoffs because they are facing a WC contender when they will likely be resting starters for the playoffs.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Yeah, but the point is that the perception is gonna be that the Sox are giving the games to the Tribe because they don't want to face Oakland...who knows, the A's could take over the division lead for good and this could be moot.

I guess my point is that the Sox might have an effect on who they face in the playoffs because they are facing a WC contender when they will likely be resting starters for the playoffs.

Screw the perception. If the Sox have it clinched, and want to take a look at say 12 of their minor leaguers ... why the hell not?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
I'm absolutely terrified of playing Oakland in the playoffs.  I can't even imagine how ugly it would be.

yeah, we will dominate them with pitching and knock their starters around. We will crush them, even though every media outlet in thenation will point to our record against them, and favor them, we will beat them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
I want us to face oakland sometime in the playoffs, because I think we are due.  You have to beat the best to be the best folks.

A- f***ING-Men, Rock. This is how I have felt all year.

I guarentee you that the Sox will try to kick Cleveland's asses no matter what the situation or ramifications. This team has no fear of Oakland or anyone else, as well it should be. To be honest it would be a travesty to every fan who pays to see those games, if they rolled over. It would piss me off as a baseball fan. Resting starters or pitching minor leaguers to set the rotation for the post season is one thing, losing on purpose, or even not trying to hard is another.

We definitely should not flat out hand a series to the Indians so that they would win the wild card. In a way, I hope Oakland is the AL wildcard team. This would be the ultimate test for the Sox. I still think that Oakland is going to win the AL West though. If anything, we'll be facing the Angels.

the A's are playing the Mariners in that last series...the M's are pretty much out of it...so they might have some minor leaguers up and playing for a spot next year. Would that be considered laying down to get the A's INTO the playoffs? You are also forgetting that the A's would still have to win...or the Indians for that matter. Stranger things have happened. In fact, I think the Royals have actually won games this year.

3 guys who should not in any way, shape, or form be involved in the final series of the year, NO MATTER WHAT:

Dustin Hermanson

Orlando Hernandez

Joe Crede

All 3 of those guys will need rest pre-playoffs.

Honestly, I couldn't blame this team if they laid off the accelerator for a couple of the final weeks...especially with Hermanson and El Duque, just so that they're as healthy as humanly possible going into October. If that helps Cleveland get into the playoffs, so be it.

Of course we'll play whatever team is there, so I don't see it as ducking any team, just as 1 more advantage of having a big lead.

Pretty tough talk from a fan base whose team hasn't won s*** in like 80 years and doesn't exactly look unbeatable this year. I get the feeling some Sox fans would rather play Oakland and lose, then to not play them and oh, I don't know, maybe win the WS. I see hard ass Ozzie Montana is rubbing off.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
I get the feeling some Sox fans would rather play Oakland and lose, then to not play them and oh, I don't know, maybe win the WS. [/color]

Not at all. We're a better team then Oakland, bring 'em on.