hypothetical question

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Our record is better than theirs, but they sure as hell beat the s*** out of us every time we play them.  We're the best team in baseball this year, and we managed to beat them twice.

Playoffs are a different game. Like I said earlier in this thread we'll be hearing about how we can't beat oakland and they'll be hearing how they can't get out of the first round.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Playoffs are a different game.  Like I said earlier in this thread we'll be hearing about how we can't beat oakland and they'll be hearing how they can't get out of the first round.

You can say any cliche that comes to mind. Oakland owns the hell out of us.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Ok, let me add a little more then just No.  You don't lay down ever, that's just ridiculous and sends the message that you're scared.  Would I prefer to play a different team in the playoffs?  Sure I would, but the playoffs are a different game and I'd have confidence in our guys to beat Oakland.  It's not like they wouldn't have a mental hurdle to overcome either, if this was the first round matchup from our side we'd be hearing how the A's own us and from their side they'd be hearing how they can't get out of the first round.

Is this something that's baseball specific? I've never heard of resting starters to go into a playoff game (which basically means handing the opponent the game) showing that you're scared. For example, last year the Colts and Eagles had nothing to play for in their final game of the year, so they both chose to rest all of their starters for the playoffs. That's not being scared, that's being smart, because by not playing their starters, they were assured that their starters would be healthy for the following game. Both lost those games, and the Colts cost the Jaguars a playoff spot, but they did the right thing for their team. If the White Sox have nothing to play for when those games roll around, I'd rather see the starters be rested, healthy, and ready for the playoffs than playing and risking injury and fatigue in the playoffs. If that means the Sox let the Indians sneak in, so be it, but they'd be doing what's best for their team.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
Is this something that's baseball specific? I've never heard of resting starters to go into a playoff game (which basically means handing the opponent the game) showing that you're scared. For example, last year the Colts and Eagles had nothing to play for in their final game of the year, so they both chose to rest all of their starters for the playoffs. That's not being scared, that's being smart, because by not playing their starters, they were assured that their starters would be healthy for the following game. Both lost those games, and the Colts cost the Jaguars a playoff spot, but they did the right thing for their team. If the White Sox have nothing to play for when those games roll around, I'd rather see the starters be rested, healthy, and ready for the playoffs than playing and risking injury and fatigue in the playoffs. If that means the Sox let the Indians sneak in, so be it, but they'd be doing what's best for their team.

You're exactly correct. Read down to the next post I made, I didn't read his whole post before I responded which was very dumb of me. It's completely different to rest your starters then to lay down for the opposition.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
I guarentee you that the Sox will try to kick Cleveland's asses no matter what the situation or ramifications.  This team has no fear of Oakland or anyone else, as well it should be.  To be honest it would be a travesty to every fan who pays to see those games, if they rolled over.  It would piss me off as a baseball fan.  Resting starters or pitching minor leaguers to set the rotation for the post season is one thing, losing on purpose, or even not trying to hard is another.

Since the games would be in Cleveland I think the paying fans would be thrilled if we didn't play our "A" lineup.

:D :D :D

That said, I don't see this team laying down for anyone even if we don't go with the A team. I mean, look at that Wednesday lineup, were we trying to let the Yankmees win?

Another possible scenerio, it's Oct. 2nd, the Yanks, BoSox, Tribe, and Angels(or A's with other in 1st) all have identical records. Yanks-BoSox are playing each other in Boston with the winner taking the AL East, Angels are playing in Tejas, Tribe are at home vs the White Sox who clinched 2 weeks earlier and have locked up the best record in baseball. Do you still play all your starters?

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Since the games would be in Cleveland I think the paying fans would be thrilled if we didn't play our "A" lineup.

:D  :D  :D

That said, I don't see this team laying down for anyone even if we don't go with the A team. I mean, look at that Wednesday lineup, were we trying to let the Yankmees win?

Another possible scenerio, it's Oct. 2nd, the Yanks, BoSox, Tribe, and Angels(or A's with other in 1st) all have identical records. Yanks-BoSox are playing each other in Boston with the winner taking the AL East, Angels are playing in Tejas, Tribe are at home vs the White Sox who clinched 2 weeks earlier and have locked up the best record in baseball. Do you still play all your starters?

Nope. You set your team up for the playoffs as much as possible. Let the other teams worry about where and how the chips fall.

Btw, as far as playing the best to be the best.....I don't see Oakland as being the best and I doubt any other team dreads playing them in the playoffs. They've just had our number lately, there's no shame in prefering not to play them.

Are any of you Illini fans really happier to have played and lost to UNC than to have played MSU for the championship?

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Btw, as far as playing the best to be the best.....I don't see Oakland as being the best and I doubt any other team dreads playing them in the playoffs. They've just had our number lately, there's no shame in prefering not to play them.

Are any of  you Illini fans really happier to have played and lost to UNC than to have played MSU for the championship?

I agree, in fact I'd bet the Bo-Sox and Yanks both would beat Oakland in the 1st round.....and sometimes, though not often, the 'best' or favorite team goes down early in playoffs, so NO, you don't always have to play the best to be considered the best.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Yeah, but the point is that the perception is gonna be that the Sox are giving the games to the Tribe because they don't want to face Oakland...who knows, the A's could take over the division lead for good and this could be moot.

I guess my point is that the Sox might have an effect on who they face in the playoffs because they are facing a WC contender when they will likely be resting starters for the playoffs.

Oakland may not be the wild card they may be AL west champions. If they would be AL west champions they would probably play Boston AL east champions. We would play the wildcard and that may be the angels or Cleveland or whoever. :bringit

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Oakland may not be the wild card they may  be AL west champions. If they would be AL west champions they would  probably play Boston AL east champions.  We would play the wildcard and that may be the angels or Cleveland or whoever. :bringit

If Cleveland is the Wild Card we cannot play them in the first round. If that situation arises, we would play the division winner with the lowest win total.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Playoffs are a different game.  Like I said earlier in this thread we'll be hearing about how we can't beat oakland and they'll be hearing how they can't get out of the first round.

good point

i also think danny haren will crumble, leaving them with 2 dependable starters only

not to mention bbtn says the sox dont have playoff experience but there all sold on the a's

yet zitos there only starter whos been in the playoffs

while we have hernandez and freddy, plus buehrle and garland arent rookies so they should be able to handle themselves ok

so i say take oakland and kick their asses

You definately don't 'throw the game', but I am all for fixing the rotation towards the end of the year to get the guys you want to start the ALDS. Oakland's on a hot streak right now, everyone sees this year's sweep at home and says "typical, the Sox can't be Oakland", well for the past month and on, no one can beat Oakland, hopefully they'll cool off, I mean, this team used to be 15 games under .500