Ward and JM not on same page

cwsox

I think a lot of our problems can be traced to what this article from the Southtown discusses

Paul Ladewski/Commentary

Wrong guy is on Sox hot seat

Tuesday, May 6, 2003

Wait, wait, wait. Before White Sox manager Jerry Manuel is handed a pink slip and pushed off a cliff, I have a lovely parting gift for him.

A piece of the 2003 Manager of the Year award.

Well, can you think of anything better?

Only weeks ago, the consensus was that the Sox would be a contender on the strength of their offense alone. Jose Valentin, Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko, Carlos Lee ... the South Side hadn't seen anything like them since the Hitmen three decades ago.

That was before the Sox started to swing Whiffle Ball bats all of a sudden. Have you checked out the numbers lately? Thomas has barely hit his weight. Konerko, Lee and Joe Crede are on the wrong side of .250. Only one regular — D'Angelo Jimenez — has hit higher than .280 at this point.

Throw in pitching and fielding that have been above average — no better, no worse — and the Hosers are still within six games of the Central Division lead. Heck, they should be nine games behind the Toledo Mud Hens, if you ask me.

No, if general manager Ken Williams wants to save the season while it still can be saved, he can do it in a simpler, more sensible way: 1) Tell the players that Manuel is still his man; 2) announce that the excuse department is closed for the summer, and 3) get to the root of the problem.

Will batting coach Gary Ward please pick up the courtesy phone in the clubhouse?

Yeah, I know. From Walt Hriniak to Bill Buckner to Von Joshua, the Sox have gone through more batting coaches than Julia Roberts has husbands lately. Just as it takes more than one piece of ice to sink the Titanic, it takes more than one person to sabotage a season. But if there's one person who has had a bigger influence on the biggest problem this season, then I can't name him.

When you compare the philosophies of Ward and Manuel, oil and water come to mind. Ward preaches longball, Manuel prefers smallball. The Ward way is fine when home runs come in bunches as they did last season, but what happens when they don't like this one? You have to bunt, hit to the right side or steal a base. Seen any of that lately?

All of which leaves the manager with one hand tied behind his back and the other one over his eyes. "I'd like to see us take shots to the opposite field for singles versus trying to do the big things and hit home runs (hint)," Manuel said. "Our speed is such that even when we start a runner, you don't know that he's stealing and the infielders don't move (hint-hint)."

Indications are that the players tuned out Ward months ago. Before a game last season, Ward called for one of his infamous meetings. "'This guy throws a curveball, and that guys throw a fastball,'" one veteran player repeated the drill by heart. "We all bleepin' know that."

(I would ask Ward about this, but every time an outsider approaches him, Mr. Personality says warmly, "Not now. I'm working.")

More recently, Thomas sought out Hriniak for advice. And guess who happened to show up at U.S. Cellular Field the other day? Yep, none other than Harold Baines, a special-assignment instructor.

To find a replacement, Williams would have to look no farther than Triple-A Charlotte, where he happened to be last weekend.

His name is Greg Walker.

As a former first baseman with a sweet stroke himself, Walker was known to take an outside pitch the other way. He also has a working knowledge of Sox hitters, having spent time with them in spring training. Crede and Willie Harris already swear by him. "What I like about Greg is his approach," Harris said. "He'll pat you on the back or get on your butt, but either way you know that he's on your side."

What's more, Sox fans can identify with Walker, a fan favorite for nine seasons here. What better time to promote him than on the 20th anniversary of the Winnin' Uglies for whom he played?

One problem, though. Ward is a Williams guy. And you know what three words are the most difficult for a GM to say, don't you? "I screwed up." If I'm Williams, though, I give serious thought to the move. After all, it's not like his guys have made K-Will look like a genius the last three seasons. David Wells? Supersized disaster. Todd Ritchie. Ouch. Bartolo Colon? We'll see. Billy Koch. Don't ask.

True, Manuel has his warts. He doesn't always communicate well, especially with his star players. He isn't vocal enough. He won't spray in the face of an umpire. He doesn't smoke Camel straights, doesn't talk like Martin Lawrence. In other words, Manuel is a Mr. Nice Guy, and you know what Leo Durocher said about them.

But fire Manuel and then what? Lure Bobby Valentine out of a television studio in Bristol, Conn.? What would he bring to the party? Enough f-bombs to get kicked out of every other game? The nerve to sneak up behind Thomas, Konerko and Lee and yell, "Boo!" A fake nose and mustache to lighten the mood in the dugout?

By the way, in 13 seasons split between Texas and the New York Mets, Bobby V made a total of two postseason appearances.

Board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf likes to go on the cheap for his managers, which makes Wally Backman the obvious choice. A stickler for fundamentals, the Charlotte skipper also is a bit on the feisty side. But to expect a manager with no previous major league experience to perform a minor miracle in a matter of months is to expect a lot.

I mean, why tell Sox fans to wait 'til next year when Next Year is still here?

Paul Ladewski can be reached at [email protected] or (708) 633-5950.

Board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf likes to go on the cheap for his managers, which makes Wally Backman the obvious choice. A stickler for fundamentals, the Charlotte skipper also is a bit on the feisty side. But to expect a manager with no previous major league experience to perform a minor miracle in a matter of months is to expect a lot.

I thought Backman was at Birmingham. :huh:

Nobody edits anymore in American journalism.

Nobody edits anymore in American journalism.

I missed that faux pas -

America needs editors!

i did the same thing the other nite :D

regaurdless of the mistake..this article verifies what all of us have been thinking about ward for a while...his way isnt working...while this guy likes greg walker i think there might even be a better candidate in the system in mike lum...he's beee with us alot longer as a coach 84 - 87 , 89 - present...he even worked with frank as a minor leaguer !!! :rolleyes:

i did the same thing the other nite  :D

regaurdless of the mistake..this article verifies what all of us have been thinking about ward for a while...his way isnt working...while this guy likes greg walker i think there might even be a better candidate in the system in mike lum...he's beee with us alot longer as a coach 84 - 87 , 89 - present...he even worked with frank as a minor leaguer !!!  :rolleyes:

Mike Lum is an ex-catcher, isn't he? In general, I think ex-catchers make the best coach/managerial candidates. They always were involved in every aspect of the game, and had the game right in front of them the whole time they played. I think Joe Girardi would make a great manager some day.

regaurdless of the mistake..this article verifies what all of us have been thinking about ward for a while...his way isnt working...while this guy likes greg walker i think there might even be a better candidate in the system in mike lum...he's beee with us alot longer as a coach 84 - 87 , 89 - present...he even worked with frank as a minor leaguer !!!  :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about that a lot about Ward...

I think it is time for him to go, with KW with him, and let JM have a batting coach whose philosophy is the same as his - get everyone on the same page - too many conflicting philosophies (and too many head chefs) mess up the mix every time. Lert it be JM's team and let's see what he can do without interference - :headbang

Mike Lum is an ex-catcher, isn't he? In general, I think ex-catchers make the best coach/managerial candidates. The always were involved in every aspect of the game, and had the game right in front of them the whole time they played. I think Joe Girardi would make a great manager some day.

I get the feeling that Sandy would make a great coach/ manager also.

I think it is time for him to go, with KW with him, and let JM have a batting coach whose philosophy is the same as his - get everyone on the same page - too many conflicting philosophies (and too many head chefs) mess up the mix every time. Lert it be JM's team and let's see what he can do without interference - :headbang

I have to totally agree with you here. I think that without interference, JM can make a winner out of this team. I admit, my thinking has changed on this. That thread HSC started about KW's ultimate demise convinced me.

I have to totally agree with you here. I think that without interference, JM can make a winner out of this team. I admit, my thinking has changed on this. That thread HSC started about KW's ultimate demise convinced me.

I don't know how confident i am that JM can turn this team into a winner, but i'd like to give him the chance before we get rid of both KW and JM...if KW really is the problem, this soon-to-be move should take care of JM's problems

Mike Lum is an ex-catcher, isn't he? In general, I think ex-catchers make the best coach/managerial candidates. They always were involved in every aspect of the game, and had the game right in front of them the whole time they played. I think Joe Girardi would make a great manager some day.

if its the mike lum im thinking of who spent time in the late 60's early 70's with the braves then he was a 1b-of...he was a lefty so he couldnt have been a catcher...did have a 15 year big league career

if its the mike lum im thinking of who spent time in the late 60's early 70's with the braves then he was a 1b-of...he was a lefty so he couldnt have been a catcher...did have a 15 year big league career

They say the memory is the first thing to go. :)

I'll admit - I'm getting disillusioned with the team, and I'm wondering if JM is the problem - but I only get to see Tigers games and whatever else is on GN... so I don't know if the offense is just cold or if they really aren't hustling. If the first one is the problem - than I can't blame JM... but if its the second one, show that asshat the door.

I think our hitters are pressing too hard. Trying to hit 6-run homers and such. I wish they'd all just go back to trying trying to hit the ball hard up the middle. That seems to solve a bunch of ills in the batter's box.

Well if in fact that is Ward's philosphy then I'd fire him immediately and put a major blame on him. This team needs to use small ball. Ya they can hit a ton of homers, but why not also utilize small ball so you can win two different ways (With the homer barrages that ocassionally happen, but also by getting lots of base hits, moving guys over, and taking advtange of every scoring opportunity).

Well if in fact that is Ward's philosphy then I'd fire him immediately and put a major blame on him.  This team needs to use small ball.  Ya they can hit a ton of homers, but why not also utilize small ball so you can win two different ways (With the homer barrages that ocassionally happen, but also by getting lots of base hits, moving guys over, and taking advtange of every scoring opportunity).

Good call. Small ball provides a way to win when you just aren't seein the ball well. If you bank on homers it's kind of like the saying "you live by the sword you die by the sword." Small ball is almost a foolproof way to win some ball games; it doesn't require hitting the s*** out of the ball to win. It's using the mental aspect of baseball and not just the physical aspect.

Earl Weaver's aproach worked because the whole team was in on the same philosophy - with Ward playing a different game than JM, no wonder things are confused and diluted and the hititng is suffering -

makes it more interesting that Frank called in Hriniak -

and almost all of our batters are way below career levels -

our defense isn't that bad, even our baserunning hasn't been filled with blunders, the pitvhing has been for the most part in there - the one thing that has hurt us is hitting