8/11 Games

Heads22

Charlotte up 6-4. Bullard with the start, 4 ER in 5 IP. Harris goes deep. Baj in the game in the seventh. Sox wanting him stretched out? Anderson with two doubles and a SB, not to mention 4-4.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...chraaa_ricaaa_1

Bham tied at 3. Owens 2-2. Tracey with a mediocre start.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...hunaax_biraax_1

WS tied at 1. Broadway with a great start. 6 IP, 0 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 7 K. Myers with RBI.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...wswafx_wilafx_1

Kanny wins 4-0. McCarthy 3-R HR. Russell even better than Broadway. 7 IP, 1 H, 7 K, 0 BB, 0 R. Bakker with the save. Getz with 2 BB.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...kanafx_lwdafx_1

Bristol tied at 3. Welker continying torrid season with 2 H so far.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...brirok_jcyrok_1

Great Falls just starting.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...grfrok_orerok_1

Anderson 5-5* He's raised his average about 10 points today.

Ok guys, you don't have to give me dap all at once but that's the 3rd time this year Russell has taken a no-no deep into a game. This time 6.2 in. Not to mention no walks. He's the freaking man! :headbang

Alright I'm on the "Get Anderson up before September" bandwagon. Yeah he's still got a lot to work on, but he's better than Timo Perez in any case.

Broadway keeps looking good, wouldn't look out of place at B-Ham at the moment, will be interesting to see if he can keep performing like he has this year at the higher levels though. Promising start nonetheless.

Good to see Baj gettin stretched out, hopefully this can add another string to his bow and make him look more appealing than Jon Adkins.

B-Ham losing 10-7 now. Huntsville scored 7 in the 6th, ouch. Young in the #2 hole, 2 for 4, AVG back up to .270 now, while Owens is at .344.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
B-Ham losing 10-7 now. Huntsville scored 7 in the 6th, ouch. Young in the #2 hole, 2 for 4, AVG back up to .270 now, while Owens is at .344.

BHam put up a 10 spot in the bottom of the 8th... Young went 4-6 w/ two 2B (6 RBI), average up to .273. -- Did I mention he's gonna be good. (though it's likely he was crushing sub-par pitching tonight.)

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
BHam put up a 10 spot in the bottom of the 8th... Young went 4-6 w/ two 2B (6 RBI), average up to .273. -- Did I mention he's gonna be good. (though it's likely he was crushing sub-par pitching tonight.)

Yes, yes he is. How many times has he hit in the #2 hole this year, from what I can remember, he's been down lower in the order say at #5 or #6.

Rogo's line was quite impressive as well, 1 for 3 with 3 walks. Sweeney had 2 hits, and he's hitting .285 now.

Barons 17 Huntsville 11

W- LaMura L- Gamble

Wow that game had plenty of offense. For the second night in a row every hitter in the lineup picked up a hit Stars where Jerry Owens 3-5, Chris Young 4-6 6 RBI Ryan Sweeney had 2 hits and the one that put the Barons ahead for good. In the 10 run 8th Chris Young was 2-2 with 2 doubles 4 RBI also stole 3rd base. In this game Casey Rogowski had a tremendous collison with Catcher John Vandenberg Rogo was out but so was Vandenberg it looked like he might even knocked out as for a few seconds as he layed there montionless. Not to forget the effort by B.J. LaMura with a perfect 8th inning.

Is it time to consider Owens a true prospect? I know a lot of the experts around here just aren't very high on him but all he does is hit. I know he was supposed to be pretty raw coming into this year but he sure doesn't seem so, it'll be interesting to follow his progress next year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
Is it time to consider Owens a true prospect?  I know a lot of the experts around here just aren't very high on him but all he does is hit.  I know he was supposed to be pretty raw coming into this year but he sure doesn't seem so, it'll be interesting to follow his progress next year.

He's got to keep hitting at higher levels to be considered anything more than a future 4th outfielder. Mike Spidale had a great year for B-Ham last season, and now he's back down with the Hogs in high A. Not saying that's going to happen to Owens, but Jerry's gonna need to hit well in Charlotte.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)
He's got to keep hitting at higher levels to be considered anything more than a future 4th outfielder. Mike Spidale had a great year for B-Ham last season, and now he's back down with the Hogs in high A. Not saying that's going to happen to Owens, but Jerry's gonna need to hit well in Charlotte.

Fair enough, BHAM I see you reading this thread, I'd be interested as to what your thoughts are on Jerry.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:43 AM)
Fair enough, BHAM I see you reading this thread, I'd be interested as to what your thoughts are on Jerry.

Great slap hitter will hit to all fields has a very good batting eye. I would like to see him get consistant playing time in Charlotte. I like Jerry he has like a pods clone. Couple of notes I think Jerry's Power numbers will rise in Charlotte he does have some power and those numbers will rise. Also a lot of people on here look at his SB stats and think he is not a base stealer but that is not the truth Jerry has been hosed on several calls and few more pickoffs but when Jerry takes off he is not caught often.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Great slap hitter will hit to all fields has a very good batting eye.  I would like to see him get consistant playing time in Charlotte.  I like Jerry he has like a pods clone.  Couple of notes I think Jerry's Power numbers will rise in Charlotte he does have some power and those numbers will rise.  Also a lot of people on here look at his SB stats and think he is not a base stealer but that is not the truth Jerry has been hosed on several calls and few more pickoffs but when Jerry takes off he is not caught often.

As always, thanks for the info.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
Great slap hitter will hit to all fields has a very good batting eye.  I would like to see him get consistant playing time in Charlotte.  I like Jerry he has like a pods clone.  Couple of notes I think Jerry's Power numbers will rise in Charlotte he does have some power and those numbers will rise.  Also a lot of people on here look at his SB stats and think he is not a base stealer but that is not the truth Jerry has been hosed on several calls and few more pickoffs but when Jerry takes off he is not caught often.

Tom, what are you thoughts on Owens compared to Spidale, because I'm assuming you saw quite a bit of Mike last year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)

Cannot compare Owens to Spidale, Owens is the better player easily, he is hitting like a madman at AA, only one level higher to hit at, and he, like Young, skipped High A ball.

Its nice to see Broadway is the pick that we all thought he would be so far. I wouldnt mind seeing him pushed up another level to see what he can do. Owens is def the PODS replacement whenever that day may come. I really like Anderson's improvement over the years and the past few months, it shows he is working on his game, Young: man I kinda hope we dont trade him. BTW, it would suck royally to get plowed over by Rogo, he is a beast.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
Tom, what are you thoughts on Owens compared to Spidale, because I'm assuming you saw quite a bit of Mike last year.

Spidale is a good hitter but not even close to Owens who has hit all season long now a 18 game streak and 31 out of 32. Owens is better in the outfield than Spidale. I like both players but think Owens is the better of the two.

I'll chime in on Owens a bit. Dbaho, I was doubtful the first few times I saw him play, but the more I see him, the more I like him. I have also talked to a few people about him and they all spoke very highly of his makeup and work ethic. He works hard, is very coachable and understands his role.

I think the biggest difference between Owens and Spidale is that Michael had his big year in AA last year in his 5th professional season. Owens is doing it in his 2nd (he only played in 2 games in 2003). Owens is a year older, but he is much less experienced having spent some of his time on the football field.

Owens will still have to get it done next year or he could fall back to AA again. If I were to hedge a bet, I'd guess Owens has a better shot at making the bigs by a fair margin.