Ah, I remember when...

Steve9347

We just took 2 of 3 from the Yanks in the Stadium. I don't fear Boston in Boston... I find it funny to think how destined for f***ed I thought our Sox would be in August having to play NYY, BOS, and MIN, multiple times!

It's so nice that we've built a cushion, and now I see us beating these s***ty teams.

As Hawk would say, "I love the White Sox."

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
We just took 2 of 3 from the Yanks in the Stadium.  I don't fear Boston in Boston... I find it funny to think how destined for f***ed I thought our Sox would be in August having to play NYY, BOS, and MIN, multiple times!

It's so nice that we've built a cushion, and now I see us beating these s***ty teams. 

As Hawk would say, "I love the White Sox."

We can just as easily take 2 of 3 from Boston with Buehrle and Garland on the bump.. It's hard to believe that Minnesota is completely out of the race, but we'll see how the fair against us..

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:07 AM)
We can just as easily take 2 of 3 from Boston with Buehrle and Garland on the bump.. It's hard to believe that Minnesota is completely out of the race, but we'll see how the fair against us..

Minny is too banged up to be much of a threat to us now. If they were healthy they would not be as far back as they are now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
we should be more worried about cleveland than the twins IMO.

I think you deserve a 'Captain Obvious Award' for that one.... :P

The Indians are obviously the team to worry about in the central, if their is one.

Edited by tonyho7476

yeah this whole post is weird....you talk about the tough stretch in August ....yet you think it's over cause we took 2-3 from the Yankees. Look I'm not one to knock down an optimistic fan, but dude...we're not even half way through yet.

Talk about how it wasn't tough after playing all the games...not after one series.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

Of course the Yanks have been ON FIRE this year so far, and we came up against Small, Chacon and Mussina, only 1 you would expect to see in a postseason series.

Let's not count our chickens before they're hatched here (god I'm sounding like fathom here :lol:), Boston will be a tough series, I'll be real happy to get out of there with 2 wins.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:41 AM)
Minny is too banged up to be much of a threat to us now.  If they were healthy they would not be as far back as they are now.

They were pretty far back when hunter went down. Where else are they banged up more than anyone else? They lost their infield and thought little joey and justie were going to be their saviors. Ha!

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
Wow, we're only 3 games into this 22 game stretch and we're already declaring victory after going 2-1? Talk about a bout of overconfidence.....

:headshake  :headshake

:finger :finger

I think the real point here isn't that we should say everything is great after goign 2-1 on this stretch...

The real point is that because we've played so far above the heads of everyone else, even if we play below .500 on this stretch, we're still probably going to end it with a magic number below 20.

In other words...this stretch was a huge concern at the beginning of the year because we thought things would be close. Now, even if we do poorly, it's still not going to hurt us. If we play .500 ball the rest of the year, we end up with 98 wins, and that probably is either 1st or 2nd in the AL.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with winning 2 out of 3 against the Yankees (especially considering every game could have easily, easily been won by either team in this series). A prolonged slump is basically the only way we won't make the playoffs. Sure, it would be nice if the Indians lost against this season! However, we need to start getting better offensive production, no doubt about it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with winning 2 out of 3 against the Yankees (especially considering every game could have easily, easily been won by either team in this series).  A prolonged slump is basically the only way we won't make the playoffs.  Sure, it would be nice if the Indians lost against this season!  However, we need to start getting better offensive production, no doubt about it.

Look, the fact is this team is not a .223 hitting team. It is a .260 hitting team. We're not going to light up too many teams, but we're better than we have been in August.

When you hit .223 for a week and a half, you're due for a recovery. You know as well as I do that baseball works like that...your offense departs for 2 weeks at random when everyone's pressing, then suddenly you have 1 big game and you swing back the other way.

We're not a great hitting team, but we're not as bad as we have been either.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with winning 2 out of 3 against the Yankees (especially considering every game could have easily, easily been won by either team in this series).  A prolonged slump is basically the only way we won't make the playoffs.  Sure, it would be nice if the Indians lost against this season!  However, we need to start getting better offensive production, no doubt about it.

Personally I would love to see the Indians in the playoffs, as that means at least one of the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and A's are staying home, and I have no fear of the Indians as a playoff team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Personally I would love to see the Indians in the playoffs, as that means at least one of the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and A's are staying home, and I have no fear of the Indians as a playoff team.

Make that, at least two of....

My wet dream is for us to face the Injuns in the ALCS.

For some reason I wouldn't mind facing the A's in the playoffs. We would have to make changes but they are young and prone to make mistakes. There are ways to beat Oakland. We should just ask Cleveland how to beat them..

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
For some reason I wouldn't mind facing the A's in the playoffs. We would have to make changes but they are young and prone to make mistakes. There are ways to beat Oakland. We should just ask Cleveland how to beat them..

They are prone to mistakes, but they are also "prone" to playing like veterans and becoming playoff heroes. 2003 must seem like a distant memory for some, but I seem to recall a certain Florida team with a young, up and coming superstar in Miguel Cabrera being huge offensively, and I also seem to recall Josh Beckett pitching on 2 or 3 days rest and being electric and untouchable.

KRod, Andruw Jones...hell, even Erubiel Durazo in 2001 to win a huge game against Atlanta in the NLCS. Derek Jeter was a rookie in 1995, and he has seen the playoffs every year he has been in the majors. Just because they are young does not mean they are not dangerous.

If we draw the A's, so be it. There is very little the Sox can do to help who they face. What they can do is play as well as they have to down the stretch, get into the playoffs, and then play well against whoever it is they draw. I'd rather not face the A's, as they happen to match up very well against the Sox...but if it is, so be it.