Ah, I remember when...

Steve9347

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 04:38 AM)
They are prone to mistakes, but they are also "prone" to playing like veterans and becoming playoff heroes.  2003 must seem like a distant memory for some, but I seem to recall a certain Florida team with a young, up and coming superstar in Miguel Cabrera being huge offensively, and I also seem to recall Josh Beckett pitching on 2 or 3 days rest and being electric and untouchable.

KRod, Andruw Jones...hell, even Erubiel Durazo in 2001 to win a huge game against Atlanta in the NLCS.  Derek Jeter was a rookie in 1995, and he has seen the playoffs every year he has been in the majors.  Just because they are young does not mean they are not dangerous.

If we draw the A's, so be it.  There is very little the Sox can do to help who they face.  What they can do is play as well as they have to down the stretch, get into the playoffs, and then play well against whoever it is they draw.  I'd rather not face the A's, as they happen to match up very well against the Sox...but if it is, so be it.

Someguys will tell you its like winning the lotto to have young players produce! Seems every team plays the lotto except the Sox. you gotta play to win. I like the youth the Sox have and they should start looking to use it... the A's Swisher not having a bad year 58 Rbi . No even our so called gold glover (future gold glover) has that many.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
I was thinking about this thread this morning when I checked the score (fell asleep around the 13th).  <_>

The sky is not falling, but this stretch is going just as some people thought it might go. I've been waiting for it all year. Interesting.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
The sky is not falling, but this stretch is going just as some people thought it might go. I've been waiting for it all year.  Interesting.

We face some terrific pitching in the next week. I'll be happy if we have a lead over 7 games after the end of next week. Something has got to be done to spark this team, and I honestly think there's no solution to the problem. Nothing we can do about someone like Crede just stinking up the month. So far, this has looked like the typical Sox tank job vs the Twins in August.

Sorry, didn't notice people ripping my original post.

My point was not that I had already declared victory for this stretch, but the fact that we held a 14 game lead in our division when it started...

That made it seem a lot less scary, and it still does as we are 2-5 in this stretch.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Sorry, didn't notice people ripping my original post.

My point was not that I had already declared victory for this stretch, but the fact that we held a 14 game lead in our division when it started...

That made it seem a lot less scary, and it still does as we are 2-5 in this stretch.

What you wrote was clear to me, I didn't bump it to rip on it. Can't speak for anyone else. :huh

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
Make that, at least two of....

My wet dream is for us to face the Injuns in the ALCS.

How are we even going to get that far? I'm just curious how we believe the Sox will beat the A's, Angels, Red Sox or Yankees in the first round?

[Disclaimer: I have been a Sox fan since 1967, I am not jumping off the bandwagon, I will always be a Sox fan, I realize the Sox have the best record in baseball (at least today), the sky is not falling, all rights reserved, copyright 2005, no purchase necessary, need not be present to win, one entry per family, see dealer for details, opinions subject to change without notice]

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
How are we even going to get that far? I'm just curious how we believe the Sox will beat the A's, Angels, Red Sox or Yankees in the first round?

[Disclaimer: I have been a Sox fan since 1967, I am not jumping off the bandwagon, I will always be a Sox fan, I realize the Sox have the best record in baseball (at least today), the sky is not falling, all rights reserved, copyright 2005, no purchase necessary, need not be present to win, one entry per family, see dealer for details, opinions subject to change without notice]

I agree...I can't see us winning a series like that...especially since we now suck at home. And that disclaimer also applies to me. I am still rooting hard and often, but I'm getting worried about our state of affairs.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)

Call me crazy, but I still only fear Oakland. We have playing at our absolute worst for the past week and are STILL in every ball game. At our best, I can see us losing a game here and there, but I like our chances in a SERIES against almost any AL team. :huh

Guys will get healthy and other guys will start hitting again. We knew this stretch would be tough, we just have to ride out the slump.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Call me crazy, but I still only fear Oakland.    We have playing at our absolute worst for the past week and are STILL in every ball game. At our best, I can see us losing a game here and there, but I like our chances in a SERIES against almost any AL team. :huh

Guys will get healthy and other guys will start hitting again. We knew this stretch would be tough, we just have to ride out the slump.

Crazy