White Sox vs Red Sox - 8/13/05

BigSqwert

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
there minors are better than ours because they know how to draft and coach. We don't. that simple. Do you think the braves would draft Wes Whisler? I think not.

Braves continually have draft picks worse than ours, as would be logical with their 13 straight divisional championships, and have no problem replacing talented players which leave via trades or free agency.

When have we had a contributing pitcher since Mark Buehlre's promotion to this club in 2000? Thank God Anaheim let go Bobby Jenks or else we'd be stuck with Chop Suey surrendering gopher balls every other outting. You know our team would never draft anyone who threw over 92 mph anyways.

When Brandon McCarthy did his best Felix Diaz impression (90 mph fastball with no movement, giving up a staggering amount of HR's) I finally accepted the fact I'd never believe the hype of any pitcher until they're in uniform. How many times have we heard, "HE NEEDS MORE TIME," "NO EVERYONE IS A SUCCESS IMMEDIATELY!" McCarthy may be a decent major league starter on par with Kip Wells some day, but unless he develops a good changeup or added velocity he's yet another pitcher in our minors.

What I can compliment our organization for doing is developing outfielders. Too bad we're filled to the brim with outfielders on this team. Rowand and Podsednik, I would imagine, will be with this club for a long time. That leaves one outfield position to be determined by either Anderson, Sweeney, Young. Due to the weak free agent market next year and Dye signed through 06', none of those players will find themselves on the club. Anderson is the closest and yet he'll be lucky to find himself on the bench. Aside from OF's, you have to ask yourself where the hell are the infield prospects? Is Josh Fields supposed to be our successor to Crede? Producing only outfielders won't help us too much in the future.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
I remember when people here were saying Cleveland's offense was overrated, that all their guys had career years in 2004.  I felt like a lone wolf, nothing new.

Those guys can hit and in general, they have good eyes at the plate.  Something the Sox should scout and draft.  Which I think they are finally starting to do.  The kid 2B from Michigan they drafted ... Getz ... first taste of pro ball and way more walks than K's.  Encouraging.  They should have done that 5 years ago.

I was shocked a couple weeks ago when the Sox were on Fox and Torborg was tossing their collective salad talking about what patient hitters they were.

My 2 cents worth on Garland's game tonight - his sinker didn't have enough sink. Being the classic sinker pitcher, he is most effective when he is a little tired. He looked too strong tonight. I can't remember when his last start was, but I would bet he has had an extra day in between starts. In Boston, he needs ground balls. On the first home run, all of his pitches were close to a foot above AJ's target.

I wish I had a good excuse for Mark's lack of success yesterday.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
I remember when people here were saying Cleveland's offense was overrated, that all their guys had career years in 2004.  I felt like a lone wolf, nothing new.

Those guys can hit and in general, they have good eyes at the plate.  Something the Sox should scout and draft.  Which I think they are finally starting to do.  The kid 2B from Michigan they drafted ... Getz ... first taste of pro ball and way more walks than K's.  Encouraging.  They should have done that 5 years ago.

Sizemore, Crisp, Perralta, Hafner, and VMart are an amazing top 5 hitters when you take into account their age. Sizemore is going to be an absolute stud in this league.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Did you know Omar Vizquel is batting about .210 since the ASB?

Post All Star crap for our team

Joe "second half" Crede is batting .244 since the allstar break.

Juan Uribe is 253

Everett is batting .230

Dye is hitting .250.

And our starter of our offense Scotty Pods is batting .248 with a .287OBP.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
Post All Star crap for our team

Joe "second half" Crede is batting .244 since the allstar break.

Juan Uribe is 253

Everett is batting .230

Dye is hitting .250.

And our starter of our offense Scotty Pods is batting .248 with a .287OBP.

Everett=37 RBI in his last 43 games, that's all that matters out of that spot.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Everett=37 RBI in his last 43 games, that's all that matters out of that spot.

You have to admit that when large amounts of our guys starting hitting below .250 for long periods of time and have such low OBP this is probably why this offense isnt all that good for the most part.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
Right.  Please tell us more stories from the White Sox war room, enquiring minds want to know.

Stop yourself and have a donut or something.  You would have been better off at the Door, watching the Tigers and pining for a PBR hat.

Excuses don't cut it. Get the job done. KW needs to get the job done.You and I both know this team is short on talent. Its his job. Not saying he is not trying, I try hard at work as well, my VP could care less how hard I try, He hired me because he thought I would try hard. Get the job done.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
You have to admit that when large amounts of our guys starting hitting below .250 for long periods of time and have such low OBP this is probably why this offense isnt all that good for the most part.

Yes, not getting on base really does contribute to not scoring runs :lol:

Excuses don't cut it. Get the job done. KW needs to get the job done.You and I both know this team is short on talent. Its his job. Not saying he is not trying, I try hard at work as well, my VP could care less how hard I try, He hired me because he thought I would try hard. Get the job done.

Right. Get the job done, we can guess if he's gotten the job done but we don't know for sure.

They are not looking good though. That is not a secret.

It will all come down to who heats up before the playoffs. I don't see many personnel moves coming for any of the contenders.