White Sox vs Red Sox - 8/13/05

BigSqwert

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
Thats it we won't get him. He loves griffey said he was the best player in the nineties. To me this means KW and Ozzie  privately said we won't get him so start talking up the team we have. If he thinks Everett or Dye is better than Griffey than he is an idiot.

I agree, in fact I think I posted that thought exactly when it occurred.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
Dude .. I was gonna post the same thing, but decided not to. Braves have 11 rookies on the team. 4 on Offense that are every day players... they produce  given the chance. Sox are always gun shy on bringing prospects to the majors , unless they are on fire in the Minors.  Great point Fathom

there minors are better than ours because they know how to draft and coach. We don't. that simple. Do you think the braves would draft Wes Whisler? I think not.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
It was after AJ, before Iguchi. KW tried to get some guys at the deadline. He found out nobody is inclined to help the team with the best record unless they want to pay a ridiculous price.

You know, I always wondered why whenever a GM doesn't make a trade, they always say it's because other teams were asking for the world. I'm not saying it's not true, but it's a very convenient excuse a lot of the time. I bet everyone thought the asking price for Matt Lawton was supposed to be a lot more than Jody Gerut.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Right, this one game disproves that age old adage.

Hey isn't it true if you call up a guy after Sept 1 vs. before Sept. 1, it doesn't count as a year against their service time?  Does anyone think that maybe that's why Brian Anderson isn't up here yet?  Any takers?

It's been several games. Outside of 1 game against this team, the pitching hasn't been so stellar against this team.

As far as Sept1 callups, I think if you call up someone prior, you start their clock. After Sept 1, I don't think time is taken away.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
Frail, no.  Not by a long shot, he knows what he's talking about.  Here is a phrase to put in your Microsoft notebook computer, disgression is the better part of valor.

Wednesday ... yes, can do.

if disgression was used all the time nothing would get done! For instance KW used his disgression during the trade season and now we are stuck with bulls***.

there minors are better than ours because they know how to draft and coach. We don't. that simple. Do you think the braves would draft Wes Whisler? I think not.

Not to mention Leo Mazzone, their pitching coach. He is a big key over there.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Right, this one game disproves that age old adage.

Hey isn't it true if you call up a guy after Sept 1 vs. before Sept. 1, it doesn't count as a year against their service time?  Does anyone think that maybe that's why Brian Anderson isn't up here yet?  Any takers?

How about this we can change the adage...

Great pitching can beat great hitting....but medicore pitching can shut down the sox.

I mean when we struggle to score against the yankees and their stud pitching staff, we have problems with studs like Joel Pinero, Josh Towers and the rest of the Cy Young staff we have been facing this month. Maybe we can hope that our staff completely shuts down the oppo in the playoffs to give us a chance.

It's been several games. Outside of 1 game against this team, the pitching hasn't been so stellar against this team.

As far as Sept1 callups, I think if you call up someone prior, you start their clock. After Sept 1, I don't think time is taken away.

Right, that's why all the geniuses on this site who want Anderson called up right now with a 12 game lead to have him sit on the bench for the most part will be the same guys who will scream when he files for free agency early.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
You know, I always wondered why whenever a GM doesn't make a trade, they always say it's because other teams were asking for the world. I'm not saying it's not true, but it's a very convenient excuse a lot of the time.  I bet everyone thought the asking price for Matt Lawton was supposed to be a lot more than Jody Gerut.

The fact that there wasn't much activity at the deadline makes me believe the asking prices were unreasonable. I thought Lawton was a nice pick up by the Cubs and thought he would look good in a White Sox uniform if you couldn't acquire anyone else. He'd look good in LF tonight.

You know, I always wondered why whenever a GM doesn't make a trade, they always say it's because other teams were asking for the world. I'm not saying it's not true, but it's a very convenient excuse a lot of the time.  I bet everyone thought the asking price for Matt Lawton was supposed to be a lot more than Jody Gerut.

Right, what would our life be without yet another conspiracy theory?

The White Sox have probably the most aggressive GM in the league.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
Right, that's why all the geniuses on this site who want Anderson called up right now with a 12 game lead to have him sit on the bench for the most part will be the same guys who will scream when he files for free agency early.

I'm not worried about 6 years from now, someone leaving for FA when he can possibly be called up and help this team win now!

if disgression was used all the time nothing would get done! For instance KW used his disgression during the trade season and now we are stuck with bulls***.

Right. Please tell us more stories from the White Sox war room, enquiring minds want to know.

Stop yourself and have a donut or something. You would have been better off at the Door, watching the Tigers and pining for a PBR hat.

The problem with this team is that the guys who should be working the count, getting on base, walking are swinging and grounding out on the first pitch.

They just cant wait to swing the bat so they can get out. Hence the .298 OBP for the month of August.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
I'm scouting the Little League game on ESPN to see if there's any possible replacements for Crede, Timo, and Ozuna.

My brother coaches a great 9 year old 3rd baseman that can field and hit.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)

KW is definitely aggressive. The other thing is other organizations may not have a very high opinion of our minor leaguers.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)

I wasn't just talking about KW. Trust me, I'm not just saying it's KW that does this.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)

If you call him up, he better be playing. There's a thing called arbitration.. and long term contracts.

I'm not worried about 6 years from now, someone leaving for FA when he can possibly be called up and help this team win now!

He - would - be - sitting - on - the - bench - fathom.

Six years from now you'd be worried about Anderson leaving, and complaining that his FA year came up too early because he got called up with a 12.5 game lead.

Brian Anderson is no savior. He'll be up in 2.5 weeks anyways.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
He - would - be - sitting - on - the - bench - fathom.

Six years from now you'd be worried about Anderson leaving, and complaining that his FA year came up too early because he got called up with a 12.5 game lead.

Brian Anderson is no savior.  He'll be up in 2.5 weeks anyways.

I was talking about bringing up Anderson if Pods injury lingers like Everett's did for a week or so. If Pods can go on Monday, then you just wait until the September call-ups.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:57 PM)
How about this we can change the adage...

Great pitching can beat great hitting....but medicore pitching can shut down the sox.

I mean when we struggle to score against the yankees and their stud pitching staff, we have problems with studs like Joel Pinero, Josh Towers and the rest of the Cy Young staff we have been facing this month.  Maybe we can hope that our staff completely shuts down the oppo in the playoffs to give us a chance.

Took the words out of my mouth. It's not only good pitching, it's mediocre to horrible pitching shutting us down.