White Sox vs Red Sox - 8/13/05

BigSqwert

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
All going to the playoffs, right??

Teams go through streaks, Baltimore and San Diego were going through hot streaks like the Red Sox and A's are going to now, and the Angels have a damn good chance of playing in October. Either way, those teams have good offenses (if not going to the playoffs, it's due to their pitching, something MB doesn't face), and he man handled them. Whatever though, difference of opinions I suppose. Garland has been damn good this year, but he still has instances where he puts himself in spots because of walks, and he's been able to get out of them this year, but that will kill him in the playoffs against playoff teams. I like our staff in the postseason though

Edited by 3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too nitpick, but a 3 ERA is 6 IP 2ER. I gotta be honest, most managers won't complain about that against upper crust offensive teams. And to pick individual bad performances is just ludicrous---everyone has a bad day. That being said, tonight Buehrle looked to have trouble with the leadoff batter and with getting behind the batter. He'll need to work on that. Call it a rough spot against a patient, offensively minded team.

Buehrle is not an ace in the classic sense of the word. He is, however, a very solid proven major league pitcher that any non-insane ML GM would love to have on his team. Mark Buehrle is an asset and I'm damn glad he's on the White Sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
Buehrle is not an ace in the classic sense of the word.  He is, however, a very solid proven major league pitcher that any non-insane ML GM would love to have on his team.  Mark Buehrle is an asset and I'm damn glad he's on the White Sox.

Very solid? I don't think there are five starting pitchers in the game who I'd rather have and only Johan Santana, both 26, would I rather start a team with. Would you disagree?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
Very solid?  I don't think there are five starting pitchers in the game who I'd rather have and only Johan Santana, both 26, would I rather start a team with.  Would you disagree?

Totally. Any tool with half a brain should realize that MB's a quality pitcher.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:58 AM)
It all depends on your interpretation of the word.  I think solid says quite a bit about a pitcher.

In my opinion, someone like Jose Contreras or Orlando Hernandez are solid starting pitchers; Mark Buehrle is in another league compared to those two though. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
In my opinion, someone like Jose Contreras or Orlando Hernandez are solid starting pitchers; Mark Buehrle is in another league compared to those two though.  Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Does 'very solid' work for you? :D

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
Buehrle is not an ace in the classic sense of the word.  He is, however, a very solid proven major league pitcher that any non-insane ML GM would love to have on his team.  Mark Buehrle is an asset and I'm damn glad he's on the White Sox.

I couldn't agree more. But, I have to admit my favorite Sox player is beginning to concern me a bit. He had a history of pitching well against the top teams. Not sure that is the case anymore.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
My prediction is the same I made or the Bankee series: If the Sox win today, they'll take the series tomorrow.  Book it.

Im fairly sure you said that during chat when the White Sox were hanging by a thread in game 2 against the Yankees.

I will 2nd that

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
Very solid?  I don't think there are five starting pitchers in the game who I'd rather have and only Johan Santana, both 26, would I rather start a team with.  Would you disagree?

If I'm starting a team there's a few guys I might take over Buehrle, Roy Halladay (28), Roy Oswalt (27), Jake Peavy (24), and Johan Santana (26). Buehrle is a very good pitcher but I don't know if I'd take him over a couple of those guys.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
If I'm starting a team there's a few guys I might take over Buehrle, Roy Halladay (28), Roy Oswalt (27), Jake Peavy (24), and Johan Santana (26). Buehrle is a very good pitcher but I don't know if I'd take him over a couple of those guys.

You forgot old fella Clemens :P I'd take him over anyone.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)

That's fair. But it's f***tarded the argument that is trying to be presented that

Buehrle's not an ace. If Buehrle's not an ace, no pitcher in baseball is an ace.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
That's fair.  But it's f***tarded the argument that is trying to be presented that

Buehrle's not an ace.  If Buehrle's not an ace, no pitcher in baseball is an ace.

BUT HE LOST TO THE RED SOX AND THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SnB

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
BUT HE LOST TO THE RED SOX AND THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you're just copying what nite's saying, but I don't know why or what's his reasoning to bring the Yankees into this. The last times Buehrle saw the Yanks was in April of 2004. He split those games FWIW.