White Sox vs Red Sox - 8/13/05

BigSqwert

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
It's not just the K's.  McCarthy has also had much better control than Rauch's minor league career, too.

Agreed, he can get injured at any time.  I'd hope not, however -- he doesn't throw in the high-90s, he doesn't (or not that I've heard of) throw a slider, and his deliverly looks good, too.

The thing McCarthy has to fix is his HR/9.  But I can deal with that, so long as it's the Brad Radke 'only solo shots 'cause you got such damn good control'.  He'll probably learn a new pitch in Spring Training.

Rauch didn't walk that many. 16 in 57innings at Bristol in 1999. 33 in 110 innings at Winston Salem in 2000 and 16 in 56 innings at Birminham in 2000. McCarthy is striking guys out in the minors that he didn't in the majors on pitches just off the plate. Then he grooves one and its gone. He has been much better recently at Charlotte, and whatever he is doing now, hopefully he can do on the major league level his next opportunity.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Felix Diaz got tossed around by this organization.  He pitched on three days rest one day, and ten days rest the next.  Then they'd stick him in the bullpen, and have him start again.

And he's no where near the pitcher McCarthy has, nor has he had any of the success in the minor leagues that McCarthy has had.  Diaz will probably be a swingman type for his career, if he can regain the control that he had last year.

I think you are taking exception to my comment about Mcarthy being a 4or 5 or my comments about the system in general? Please let me know. If its Mcarthy, you are free to believe what you want, as am I. You indicated my stupidity about that, and thats fine with me. I do not need your blessing. I don't beleive he will be a stud pitcher but he is the best pitchign pospect this organization has. As for diaz, I don't think he will ever make it at least consistantly. He is done in my book, but your book is open. What about Borchard, what do you think about him?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Rauch didn't walk that many. 16 in 57innings at Bristol in 1999. 33 in 110 innings at Winston Salem in 2000 and 16 in 56 innings at Birminham in 2000. McCarthy is striking guys out in the minors that he didn't in the majors on pitches just off the plate. Then he grooves one and its gone. He has been much better recently at Charlotte, and whatever he is doing now, hopefully he can do on the major league level his next opportunity.

Rauch, in his minor league career, averaged 2.77 BB/9, and 8.55 K/9.

McCarthy, going into this season, averaged 1.54 BB/9, and 10.40 K/9. I assume that the BB number went up a little bit, and the K/9 is about the same.

Still, he's about two K's better than Rauch, and about one walk better than Rauch.

I'm also extremely happy with his recent success. He'll have his ERA below four if he has another start like this one.

And I'm also extremely pissed that Joe Blanton is pitching well with Oakland, while Royce Ring is, well... Robby Alomar? :D

QUOTE(quickman @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 02:18 AM)
I think you are taking exception to my comment about Mcarthy being a 4or 5 or my comments about the system in general? Please let me know. If its Mcarthy, you are free to believe what you want, as am I. You indicated my stupidity about that, and thats fine with me. I do not need your blessing. I don't beleive he will be a stud pitcher but he is the best pitchign pospect this organization has. As for diaz, I don't think he will ever make it at least consistantly. He is done in my book, but your book is open. What about Borchard, what do you think about him?

Meh. I'm rooting for Borchard, but the numbers (stats) are against him.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Yeah -- you saw him for Spring Training, and you saw him for the five-six starts he made up here, and you're making a judgement off of him.

I'll go with the larger sample size.

Just like you did, BTW, with Bajenaru.  I'm sure you're feelings on Chad Bradford was that he was a career minor leaguer too, huh?

Baj will never make it, and so far I have been proven right. i cannot recall my opinion on bradford, but I did like the trade. Not sure your point. My point is, our minor league system is not great and I do not think highly of our prospects As for the prospects i do like and have said so from the beginning are:

Anderson

Sweeney

Rogowski, will they make it. Maybe big maybe. But I could care less if they are on the sox. If we can trade them for proven ball players I do it all the time.