JUGGERNAUT

Would you buy a plug-in hybrid?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a plug-in hybrid?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050813/ap_on_...ybrid_tinkerers

Energy CS: will convert any hybrid to a plug-in for about $12K starting next year.

Believes auto-makers could mass-produce them for $6K more on the sticker price.

This is what makes Americans great. They don't sit around waiting for big govt or big business to solve a problem. While reading this I was thinking way beyond the home owner. Buses, passenger trains, trucks, freight trains can all benefit by this hybrid technology to reduce costs. That in turn will help us slow inflation & protect against spikes in oil prices.

I wouldn't pay 12000 bucks more for it. In fact I woudln't pay 3000 more for it which is about what it costs now to get a hybrid. Financially it doesn't make sense cause unless you drive a total assload, its going to take way too long to ever reclaim the savings.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
I wouldn't pay 12000 bucks more for it.  In fact I woudln't pay 3000 more for it which is about what it costs now to get a hybrid.  Financially it doesn't make sense cause unless you drive a total assload, its going to take way too long to ever reclaim the savings.

^^What he said.

Just so you know, the Highlander is available in hybrid and nonhybrid form. The difference in MPG is about 11 miles to the gallon.

If you drive 12000 miles a year. Annual gas savings with an average gas price of 2.20 per gallon would be about 700 dollars. My annual savings would be 2100 dollars. The difference in price is about 7 grand between the two cars. It's not really economical unless you drive 35,000+ miles a year.

If I went from the xB to the Prius, id save on average about 15 mpg. My annual savings would be 700 dollars a year driving 36,000 miles a year. The difference in price between the two cars is about 5,000 dollars. It's just not economical for me.

In two years though, the prices will be about equal - at least with Toyota.

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Just so you know, the Highlander is available in hybrid and nonhybrid form. The difference in MPG is about 11 miles to the gallon.

If you drive 12000 miles a year. Annual gas savings with an average gas price of 2.20 per gallon would be about 700 dollars. My annual savings would be 2100 dollars. The difference in price is about 7 grand between the two cars. It's not really economical unless you drive 35,000+ miles a year.

If I went from the xB to the Prius, id save on average about 15 mpg. My annual savings would be 700 dollars a year driving 36,000 miles a year. The difference in price between the two cars is about 5,000 dollars. It's just not economical for me.

In two years though, the prices will be about equal - at least with Toyota.

Thats when it will start making sense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Let me know when they make a hybrid with a top speed over 130 mph and make it look like a car.

They will.......and sooner rather than later. Hybrid technology is the first major step in weaning ourselves off the addiction we have for foregin oil.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
I wouldn't pay 12000 bucks more for it.  In fact I woudln't pay 3000 more for it which is about what it costs now to get a hybrid.  Financially it doesn't make sense cause unless you drive a total assload, its going to take way too long to ever reclaim the savings.

I'm shocked you never even brought up the tax writeoff available for purchasing a hybrid...normally your all over the tax stuff :P But I do agree right now a hybrid is just isn't for me but sooner rather than later it may just be the right purchase.

Why are you looking to re-coup the loss after 1 year? I think 7 years is the average time a consumer hangs on to their car. So assuming average driving over that time you're looking at $6000 savings at the pump over the life of the car. The tax write-off & the added cost in electricty over that time is probably a wash.

So economically you won't gain anything but you'll be helping the environment & the nation. Money isn't everything.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
So economically you won't gain anything but you'll be helping the environment & the nation.  Money isn't everything.

Agreed, it is difficult to be on the bleeding edge of new technology. But it is necessary that small grassroots groups of idealistic people take these kind of leaps even if they are not entirely cost effective. Demand has to start somewhere/some time, or R&D toward cost-effective follow-on technology will be minimal.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
You should check out my '71 Chevelle. It'll stop your heart with the simple tap of the gas, gotta love that 454 big block.

Small block and big block Fords have a great throaty sound as well.

I would like to get a hybrid for my next car (hopefully 4-5 years in the future), but I hope the batteries for these types of cars inprove in reliability and go down in cost (not sure where it is now, but some of those were high priced the last time I looked).

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)

I would like to get a hybrid for my next car (hopefully 4-5 years in the future), but I hope the batteries for these types of cars inprove in reliability and go down in cost (not sure where it is now, but some of those were high priced the last time I looked).

Toyota offers a 10 year warranty on all of the battery systems on their hybrids. I believe Honda may as well, although I haven't researched theirs as much.

The Prius is roughly the same price as a Camry, has slightly more interior space, and has the hybrid engine. If you're not in the market for a mid-sized sedan I wouldn't say to buy one, but if you are, I think it's a very competitive vehicle.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)

Another significant cost to calculate into whetherbuying a hybrid is economically a sound decision.